Caprivi Trip April 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Caprivi Trip April 2011

We are planning to explore the Caprivi strip in April 2011. I have an idea for a basic trip itinerary and would like to get some advice. We did a few Mozambique (up to Inhambane) trips previously but this will be our first Botswana/Namibia trip. We have 16 days and want to go up through west Botswana (Mapsource labels the routes as A2 and A3). Enter Namibia through the Muhembu Border Post. We would like to set a base camp in the Popa Falls area. We have 3 days for the trip from Gauteng (South Africa) to Popa Falls. We can then spend about 3 days in the western area of the Caprivi. The next base camp would be close to Katima Mulilo for 3 days. A visit to Livingstone (Victoria Falls) might be in the plan for the next 3 days. We then have 3 days for the trip back to Gauteng trough the eastern part of Botswana. We then have 1 day spare.

At this stage we are 6 adventures people between 25 and 30 years old with no children. We are using following vehicles –

• Mitsubishi Pajero 3.8 SWB - Petrol
    • Toyota Hilux D4D - Diesel
    • Nissan Patrol Pick-up - Diesel

We would like to camp with dome tents, the girls would appreciate flushing toilets and maybe electricity but this is not a necessity.

I did some reading through all the posts regarding this area and have some questions:

• Is the last 2 weeks in April a suitable time to visit Caprivi?
    • The age old question – how available is fuel? The Pajero will go only 400km on a tank and we will take 40 liter extra – this will get an extra 250km thus we have a reach of 650km – is this enough?
    • Does anyone have suggestions where we can camp at the following areas:-
      • In Western Botswana on our way up we have 2 nights. We decided that we will make the Delta (and all the other Botswana jewels) our next trip. This is not cast-in-stone, we are open for suggestions. We can just as well camp in two different sites that is worthwhile to see.
      • In the Popa Falls area. We want to explore the nature reserves from there.
      • In the Katima Mulilo area. We would like to do some fishing in the Zambezi – does anyone have suggestions?
      • In Eastern Botswana on our way back. Maps got many suggestions, does anyone recommend something specific
    • Do we need to book the campsites in advance? Or can we adjust the travels plans as the trips progresses?
    • For the trip to Victoria Falls (Livingstone, hopefully only on the Zambia side). What is the best way? Do we use the Kazungula Ferry or is there another way? Can we camp somewhere at Kasane and Livingstone.

We are still building our plans so any suggestion will be appreciated.

Why not see the Victoria Falls from the Zimbabwe side. Much easier to cross into Zim and drive to the falls than crossing into Zambia and then having to cross back again. Zim border is very quick and the road is good to the falls. Just keep to the speed limit - there are traps just outside the falls.

It is also possible to arrange a day trip to the falls from Kasane. The lodges there can organise it for you. (No hassles with paying road tax etc)

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
    Why not see the Victoria Falls from the Zimbabwe side. Much easier to cross into Zim and drive to the falls than crossing into Zambia and then having to cross back again. Zim border is very quick and the road is good to the falls. Just keep to the speed limit - there are traps just outside the falls.

It is also possible to arrange a day trip to the falls from Kasane. The lodges there can organise it for you. (No hassles with paying road tax etc)

Mike
    I totally agree with this. We did it in August. Stayed 2 nights in Kasane and did a day trip to the falls on the Zimbabwe side. Went through Kazankulu borderpost (not the ferry into Zambia) with eaze. It's about 80 km.
    PS - lots of camping places in Kasane.
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

San Sebastian Peninsula, Vilanculos Mozambique

I've only driven From Maun to the Muhembo gate once. As far as I can recall there is quite good camping at Drotsky's cabins. Can't recall all the fuel stations either. Through Muhembo up to Divindu there are quite a few places to stay. We stayed at Ngepi. Was OK but, can get very lively with overlanders. I have never had petrol issues at Divundu. Going east towards Bwabwata, there are two camping areas near the Kongola gate. One is Bumhill and the other is Nambwa. You will have to book through NACOBTA in Namibia. At Kongola is another petrol station. I know the Portuguese guy sold it some time ago and it was closed for a while. I believe it is open again. Otherwise it is 120km from Kongola to Katima. At Katima there are a number of places to stay again. Hippo Lodge had beautiful green grass and OK camping spots when I was there in 2005. One of these places also operate Caprivi House boat Safari's. They can take you out and fish and sleep on the river too.
    Forget about Kazangula from the Katima side. There is a beautiful bridge at Sehseke straight into Zambia. Then it is 200 odd km's to Livingstone. From Livingstone you will then have to go through Vic Falls to get to Kasane to get home. Or back track to Kazangula and hope for the best. Vic Falls border post is not that bad, try and ask someone to which official you should go first otherwise, you may stand in a queue and realize you are at official number 3, not number 1. Go back, do not pass begin, do not collect $200.

Default Communication

Hi all,

At this stage I am also one of the vehicles that will, DV, accompany this adventure.

Mike,
    thank you for the recomendation we were planning to do the Victoria Falls but the thought about doing it through the Zimbabwe side never crossd my mind. Is Zimbabwe stable and safe enough for doing that of the Falls?

If so, why not drive back through ZIM all the way home? I am sure there will be a story to tell when we get back.

Communcation,
    We are all planning to join ORRA in the VHF faternaty early in the beginnig of next year. I am sure this will be great for the piece of road between Pta and the first border post, but what do we do when we are in Botswana and then again later in Namibia and Zambia or Zimbabwe. Do we need to get licences for all these countries or will it be easier to just use the small Zartek radios and use the ORRA only for backup.

Is the Zartek legal to use without a licence in the rest of these countries?

Some guidance on what you have done in the past what worked and what not and the usual caution point will be much appreciated.

Reichardt

Zim is very save IMO safer even than SA. The people are extremely friendly.

The roads are better through Bullawayo back to BW and shorter coming from Vic Falls (according to GPS)depending on time spend at the border posts. The road from Nata to Kasana is very bad I don't think they are finished repairing it. The Zim side of the Falls are also better for sight seeing than the Zambian side.

My2c
    R
    Last edited by riaan harman; 2010/12/28 at 09:59 AM.
    Riaan

MB 300 CDI (Gulliver)

Bush Lapa 137

Quote Originally Posted by riaan harman View Post
    Zim is very save IMO safer even than SA. The people are extremely friendly.

The roads are better through Bullawayo back to BW and shorter coming from Vic Falls (according to GPS)depending on time spend at the border posts. The road from Nata to Kasana is very bad I don't think they are finished repairing it. The Zim side of the Falls are also better for sight seeing than the Zambian side.

My2c
    R
    As for Zimbabwe being safe, I do agree. Just stick to the speedlimits. We travelled on the Nata/Kasane road in August and can report back that the road is absolutely find.
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Bly daardie pad is herstel!!
    Riaan

MB 300 CDI (Gulliver)

Bush Lapa 137

There's an article in the Dec Weg on the Caprivi. Good info

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

Default Weg Caprivi Article

Quote Originally Posted by granlor View Post
    Its that same article that sparked the idea for this trip.

Thanx for the Zim idea, we will consider it as an option.

Dagse kęrels!

I still need to look into my leave etc, will be actively trying to go along

As far as VHF is concerned. Each country need their own permit. There are contact numbers in one of the sticky threads in the radio section. Basically get a permit for the country for a smallish fee. I am going trough the excersize, going to Namibia in June July with the inlaws. Will let you guys know.

Tot later voorspoedige nuwejaar
    Sold Land Rover 110 Tdi Hard top.
    Crank driven compressor http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=42059

Sold: 2000 Discovery2 V8 Auto

Current: 2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R: Mommy wagon, strapped to a rocket. What a car!

Orra call sign B226

We are planning on visiting in June/July next year. Kids dictate school holidays. Our itenarary are summarised in the attached spreadsheet.

We plan to sleep over at Kama Rhino Sanctuary, visit Kubu Island for a night and then sleep one night in Maun. From there we'll sleep three nights at Drosky's Cabins on the panhandle. From here we'll drive through to the Kwando river area and look for a campsite. Malyo also mentioned in the Weg article seems nice. The owner said to me no booking required. We'll spend 3 nights here and explore the surrounds.
    From here it will either be the Katima Malilo area and Zambezi River or Kasane and maybe Vic Falls and a river cruise om the Chobe again staying 3 nights.
    For our whole trip we only booked and paid a deposit at Drotsky's Cabins. At Kama Rhino and Maun I booked but no Deposit required. The rest we're just driving and will see where we end up.
    Attached Files Attached Files

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

Default Thank you Granlor

Thank you Granlor for the great ideas and awesome itenarary. We will give you feedback after our trip in April and I am sure it will be helpfull for your trip.

Bump
    Toyota Prado 3.0
    Bush Lapa Baobab 1158

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by granlor View Post
    Can someone please scan and mail me that info?
    Last edited by Shaka; 2011/01/20 at 06:20 PM.

The most important thing about the Caprivi is to spend time on the 3 rivers. (I've highlighted the must visits and better camps if you have time constrains)
    1) The Kavango
    What to see: Buffalo game park, Mahango Game reserve (river drive only).
    Camping: Ngepi for the younger crowd (overlanders could get noisy) and Mahango Safari Lodge, Nunda Lodge for a more chilled experience (all have river cruises)
    2) The Kwando
    What to see: Susuwe Triangle, Mudumu and Mamili (could be flooded) Game parks
    Camping: Nambwa Camp, Kwando Lodge, Namushasha Lodge. Nakatwa Camp for the self sufficient.
    3) Zambezi
    What to see: Not much except the river and ask at the hardware in Katima about fishing trips.
    Camping: Namwi (excellent for sorting washing etc. and best close to Katima). Island view Lodge and Kalizo Lodge (both offer expensive fishing trips)
    FJ Cruiser
    Echo Kavango

End of November the Kasane /Nata road was fine despite a deviation north of Elephant Sands.
    Kalizo Lodge is very geared towards fishing and regularly hosts a tiger fishing competition

Thank you SOOOOO much!!

A couple of things just to remember: We are experiencing extremely heavy rainfalls both in the south and north of the country. I guess similiar to that in jhb. Mariental is at present busy being flooded. Sharks have been sighted 300km upstream in the oranje river due to the exessive flooding Be careful not to make permanent plans and bookings , make sure you have alternative routes available. I am also planning a trip to the north of namibia and botswana over easter week-end, but as we are speaking the north is already under water in most places. They have forecasted that our rain will continue well into the winter all over namibia. Most places you need to make deposits for your booking, but if you mention to them that you will pay closer to the time and want to monitor the rain first, they will understand
    Namibia has no problem with fuel. All the big cities have fuel. All those on the main B1 road from south to north, fuel is not a problem. We have the BEST meat as well, so buy your meat in namibia. Buy your fillet in bots,,it is very cheap and tasty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast