Most scenic route Centurion to Phalaborwa

Default Most scenic route Centurion to Phalaborwa

We are travelling the week-end from Centurion to the Mopani - KNP (Phalaborwa gate) and am not sure whether to take the quickest route (Centurion - Pietersburg - Tzaneen - Phalaborwa) or a more scenic route? via Middelburg - Lydenburg - Ohrigstad - Phalaborwa. My more scenic routes don't always end up a good idea and I am not too familiar with the alternative route. Any suggestions or advise would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus Gouws View Post
    We are travelling the week-end from Centurion to the Mopani - KNP (Phalaborwa gate) and am not sure whether to take the quickest route (Centurion - Pietersburg - Tzaneen - Phalaborwa) or a more scenic route? via Middelburg - Lydenburg - Ohrigstad - Phalaborwa. My more scenic routes don't always end up a good idea and I am not too familiar with the alternative route. Any suggestions or advise would be much appreciated.
    Hi Cobus - neem die Lydenburg roete - baie meer om te sien. Die pad het maar baie slaggate tussen Dullstroom en Lydenburg, maar jy ry mos 'n Landy!

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"
    Ford Everest 2016 Limited
    Land Rover Defender 110 TD5
    Land Rover Discovery 4 TDV6 SE

Hi Cobus, if you've got time and you want to do the Scenic route thing then I might suggest, Belfast - Dullstroom - Lydenburg - Sabie - Graskop - God's Window - Blyde Canyon - Hoedspruit - Palaborwa. If you stop and look around it might take you 10 to 12 hours, but very senic!!!!

Njoy!
    2009 Toyota 3.0D-4D Hilux DC 4x4
    www.hilux4x4.co.za - Dan the Man
    Metalian Maxi + Tentco Tent
    ORRA - B205

Howzit Cobus , Im driving up from Cape Town on Sat, getting SWAMBO and kids at OR Tambo airport on Sun and going to Mopani camp as well on the Monday morning, so will be travelling almost the same route from Centurion, so I will be watching this threat , maybe see you around there.

going in Black Pajero SWB , CA reg.

Thanks guys. The Lydenburg route must defintely be the most scenic of the routes and I could start very early in order to make time. On the way back I would like to take a different route and maybe I could come back via Phalaborwa - Ohrigstad - Roossenekal - Middelburg. Do you guys know this route and your opinion?

Default Route

The route i normally take from gauteng to phallies is from ORT to witbanks, belfast, dullstroom, lydenburg, ohrigstad, mica, phalagat. normally takes around 5 hrs. you need to watch out for potholes between dullstroom and lydenburg though and again sometimes between lydenburg and ohrigstad.

The pretoria, plokwane,tzaneen route is only scenic through the mountains between polokwane and tzaneen.

tip: stop at the petrol station at mica called SAMEY they make some really nice biltong and also have a bottle store to stock up if you dont stop in phalaborwa

See attached mapsource file
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    Hi Cobus, if you've got time and you want to do the Scenic route thing then I might suggest, Belfast - Dullstroom - Lydenburg - Sabie - Graskop - God's Window - Blyde Canyon - Hoedspruit - Palaborwa. If you stop and look around it might take you 10 to 12 hours, but very senic!!!!

Njoy!
    Did the marked route on bicyle.(training camp)
    Was worth all the suffering.
    A 4x4
    A platkar
    A bicycle

The route Robbiet suggested is the best, just don't miss the turn-off after the Strydom tunnel past Manoutsa resort on the left then approx 16km at the garage and Mad Dogz cafe you must swing left (otherwise you go to Hoedspruit), past a little rural settlement (WATCH FOR SPEEDTRAPS HERE), then turn right at the Phalaborwa turn-off after approx 10k's towards Mica. If you go Pietersburg/Tzaneen you get to see Magoebaskloof etc, but time wise both are about the same!
    "If it ain't broken - Modify it"
    -------------------------------------
    Ben
    '99 Jeep Wrangler; 4" Procom Lift kit; 4.7Lt Mopar conversion; 33"x12.5x15" MT Baja Claws (Mine); '11 Prado 4.0Lt VX Petrol (Ours); '08 MB SLK 200 Coupe (SWAMBO's); '08 Conqueror Commander

I agree, rather take the lydenburg road, take a stoll down to the echo caves, its on the way, just after ohrigstad, i hear its quite amazing.
    Last edited by Goofaloop; 2011/01/13 at 02:19 PM.