Renting 4x4 in Zambia

Default Renting 4x4 in Zambia

Hi everyone,
    We - a couple - are going on a 3 weeks self-drive in Zambia (primarily Kafue NP) in October 2011. I have been in contact with Hemingways about renting a full equiped Hilux but after have read Tracy's experience with them I am a little worried. Do any of you know other companies you can recommend? Do any of you have experience with www.safaridrive.com based in UK?. Best regards Anne

I'm pretty sure it's the same company my wife and I used to do the Okavango in 2002 and friends of mine used for Namibia,no problems at all good vehicles (then again I'm a Landy man). very experienced. This when we lived in England.

Talking

…aznhl

We did look at Safaridrive but they wanted to much money for the rental, I have read good reports from other people about them, are you flying into Lusaka or Livingstone ?

Sometimes the transfer of a vehicle can be worth looking into.
    Last year we hired from a company in Windhoek and had them transfer the 4x4 to Upington SA.

Bushlore seem to be popular if you don’t mind a Landy J.

I would say we felt foolish in not having a Sat phone, so take one if you can,,,it’s a great place to go and get lost in. We will definalty go back.

Cheers
    tracyb

Hi,
    I have just got a quote from Safari Drive and they want £200 pr day for their equipped Land Rover. Hemmingways wants USD 190 and they are not even sure that they have a vehicle in the period where we want it - October 6 - 24, 2011.
    Now I have asked www.voyagerszambia.com which I think worked together with Europcar.
    When we i December 2008 did a 3 week self-drive in Namibia we rented the vehicle (Hilux 4x4) via www.ascocarhire.com . We were very satisfied and had only once a flat tyre. In Namibia we rented a satelite phone and luckily we did not need to use it. When we were in Skeleton Coast I tried it because we had been driving for 8 hours without seeing any other so I just have to try to find out if it was working - and it was . I have already decided that I want to rent a satelite telephone in Zambia.
    We have possibility to start/end our trip in both Lusaka and Livingstone. Right now I only have flight tickets to/from Johannesbourg.
    We have been in Zambia 3 times before but never on a self-drive. Our plan is to visit Kafue NP where we also were in June 2008 but at that time we were only in the north part where we stayed 2 nights at Busanga Bush Camp and 2 nights at Lunga River Lodge. Beside Kafue NP we are also going to visit a girl we are sponsoring ca 160 km east of Lusaka
    Cheers Anne

I can't really help with car rental, but would comment on the satellite phone. A satellite phone is only any use if you have someone to call! Who are you going to ring? None of the lodges in the northern Kafue have 'phones.....it's internet only out there.

My suggestion is that at each place you stay you get them to email ahead to the next, telling the new place when you expect to arrive. Clearly if you don't turn up they are the only ones who are going to be able to help you, and they are all good at looking after their guests. They'll all make a plan......

I was persuaded to take a satellite phone on my first visit to Zambia, but it was, as I suspected it would be, no more than expensive ballast.

Anne, it's a pity you have booked flights via Jo'burg, as you could have flown direct to Lusaka, or even via Nairobi. The connections up from Jo'burg never seem to work very well........my brother spent over 5 hours in the airport there in both directions on our last trip.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Hi Mike,
    Thanks for your comments about satelite phone.
    The reason why I already have booked flights to/from Johanensburg is that we buy cheap tickets and upgrade by points and the only possibilty was JNB. We are comming from Nice, France and the best connection is to/from JNB. And we are also going back from Maun because after our self-drive in Zambia we are staying 6 days with Kwando Safaris in Okavango.
    I think we will copy your trip and drive from Livingstone to Nanzhila, Kaingu, Mukambi, McBrides Camp and maybe Lufupa (if the have availability) and then via Lusaka back to Livingstone.
    Cheers
    Anne

If you are going to Maun, check Maun Self Drive 4x4 rates.

Quote Originally Posted by aznhl View Post
    Hi Mike,
    I think we will copy your trip and drive from Livingstone to Nanzhila, Kaingu, Mukambi, McBrides Camp and maybe Lufupa (if the have availability) and then via Lusaka back to Livingstone.
    Cheers
    Anne
    Pity you couldn't find a few days to head over to South Luangwa..........you'll never see so many animals in such a beautiful setting. Also, you may never get another chance to go to the amazing Busanga Plains, north of Lufupa...........Don't miss it! Anyway, you might be on a very similar programme to another forumite, Spook, who is doing much the same trip from the 10th of Sept to the 1st of Oct. next year.

Don't forget the Skin so Soft!!! Boy, will you thank me!!

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Alternatively, one of my favorite parks for self drive- Mana Pools is not far out of the way on the return to Livingstone.

Hi!

Another option for a 4x4 hire in Zambia/Lusaka is

http://www.limohire-zambia.com/

Cheers,

Stefan
    <dl><dt>When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained (Mark Twain)
    </dt></dl>

We used Bushlore and they were great!
    www.bushlore.com

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your comments and recommendations.

We have now rented the vehichle by Hemmingways but I have also been in dialogue with Safari Drive in UK, Limohire, Voyagers and Bushlore.

I hope we can be confident with Hemmingways after our dialogue about the condition of their tires and I also ask them to give me a feedback of the experience of Tracy, which they did.

About their tires they wrote: "In regards to tires, I cannot guarantee that you will have 6 new tires on the vehicle. Whilst we ensure that the tires are in good condition (and they are changed regularly) I hope you can appreciate we cannot put new tires on for every hire.
    Recently all our vehicles tires have been treated with a product called Tyre Seal which prevents punctures. We tested this product in 2 vehicles before using on all our fleet (as it is expensive). The vehicles that had this product in the tire had no punctures during their hires"

Some comment about the other companies:
    • Safari Dive may have better and more eqyupped vehicles but they are far too expensive - 310 USD pr day (Hemmingways: 190 USD/day)
    • Bushlore e-mailed the most satisfactorily material but it was too expensive with the transfer to/from Livingstone (= ZAR 7000)
    • Limohire prepares the vehicle for camping so its not a fixed part of the vehicle
    • With Voyagers I never felt confident - I don't know why but I didn't like the way they answered my questions.
    Cheers
    Anne

Be vary carefull of Buslore! I have had a very bad experiance with them. They are out to do you in!
    Land Rover is not a vehicle it is a cult!
    Gas Gas 300 with training wheels.

I have just used limo-hire and they were also great - customer service was really good.

They have salons also, so you can downgrade if you are spending a few days in Lusaka at either end of the trip.