Prefered oil for Colt 2.8D

Default Prefered oil for Colt 2.8D

Hi, I am quite new to the site so if I ask questions already covered please humour me... I own a Mitsubishi Colt 2.8D 4x4, (2000, model non-turbo), I know that some of the specs are bit different from the same model in other parts of the world...I think the closest I have seen is the L200 model in the UK...I have the 4M40 engine...My question is that with the new oil technology available, what I can use on the engine, currently my oil change is every 5000 km...and models 5 years younger with the same 4M40 is between 7500 km to 10 000 km...is it because of the oil they are using, or have there been improvements made to the 4m40 engine?...I want to use better oils if possible for the engine, transmission, transfer case, differential. Current suggested Multigrade Engine oil: API CG4-E2-96, Transmision and Transfer oil: API Gl-4 SAE 75W-90, 75W-85W, or 80W.
    I did a bit of research on different oil types, API and ACEA specifications,and read a couple of forums posted on this site...still a bit muddy, because no opinions compare. I need to know if there is somebody with practical experience on the matter...And to make it more complicated which oil is better, Synthetic or Mineral?

Mitsubishi Paarden Eiland told me they use Shell Helix in my Colt. Not a fan of Helix but it's on a maintenance plan.

The common consensus on this forum seems to be to use Caltex Delo 400

When I was doing my own servicing on my previous vehicles I used full synthetic oils everywhere (engine, gearbox, transfer box, diffs). It costs an absolute fortune but I got fantastic lifespan out of the vehicles. For example I raped my 3litre Courier 4x4 on a daily basis and 14 years later when I got rid of it it was still running sweet. Not one single fault with the car ever!
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Spike For This Useful Post:

Spike, I recently went to them to buy gearbox oil as I thought they were using Caltex. They referred me down the road to the Shell service station on Koeberg Rd to get it there!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer aka Bos Parra

Diesel Engine, please use 15W40 GTX diesel or Delo 400 or equivalent spec oil.

5000km oil and filter change intervals, if vehicle has mileage on it. NO MORE or you do so at your own risk if you want the vehicle to last years and years.

Please don't deviate from this or use synthetic oil in the diesel engine to prolong your oil change intervals. This is purely a marketing strategy by the dealerships to keep in line with the competition. Remember after 100000km it is no longer there problem. So be warned of this fact.

Remember the newer diesels are designed to run on synthetic oil and have centrifugal oil filters etc. which allows for 15-20 000km oil changes. Agents also specify 50Ppm diesel to prevent sludging and if you so much as deviate from this requirement your warranty becomes null and void. The 4M40 motor does not have this luxury.

Gearbox CASTROL BOT 402. Its Synthetic and a 75W85 GL4. Lasts 100000km.
    Next best is Castrol Easy Shift 75W85 mineral Oil. Minimal price difference so rather use the BOT 402 as the mineral oil should be changed about every 50 000km.

Diff Ep 90 GL5 oil. Change every 50 000km
    Castrol LSX in the rear diff or in the front, or just an EP 90 in the front.
    Please don't use EP 90W140, its far too thich and is specified for the Isuzus.

Petrol engines can happily run on Diesel oil, it will just clean things up a bit more inside.
    I'd recommend a synthetic oil if you wish to pay R100 a litre. Especially with the known tappet noise the V6 loves to make. 10 000km oil changes please.

2002 Colt, 2.8 tdi Rodeo, 4x4, ARB Bull Bar, Excalliber Running Boards, Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks, Cooper AT3's, Excel 53l long range tank, National Luna Dual Battery System, Campmaster 80l Fridge/Freezer Combo, FrontRunner Fridge slide and Bin Slide, Alpha Gte Canopy with FrontRunner Roof Rack and Homemade Awning...Pulling a Caravan sometimes

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Haydn For This Useful Post:

Thanks guys...I really appreciate the input...I know this is going off topic...but I am looking for a good 4x4 centre, where I can take my bakkie...to get the mechanical side checked out...before I take her out in the veld...I got a slight vibration during idle...I need to know if it is engine mountings or what...the prop shafts have been balanced...I just need some qualified people to give me proper advice and help...Where can I get serviceable parts for my 5000km oil change...should i get original or generic...is there a quality difference?...I stay in CBD Cape Town...where can I go...and thank you for the help already given...

Ooh...another thing...what is the general opinion on Havoline 15W-40 for Diesel?

Haydn, I see that you mention that oil and filter must be replaced every 5000km...I pressume you are talking about the oil filter...I see that my service book state that filter needs to be replaced every 10000km...do you recommend changing it because of our "dirty diesel" (500ppm)...what about the air filter can I use the recommended change period for that...

Yes I'd recommend changing the oil and oil filter every 5000km.

Fuel Filter every second oil change or service every 10 000km.

The issue is not really the 500ppm diesel so much. These engines and especially the diesel pumps and injectors, are designed for this older technology diesel. Remember this 4M40 motor was is use overseas in the 80's. So they pretty resilient, but because of engine design and combustion residue we like to change the engine oil and filters more often, especially as the vehicle puts on mileage. This in tern helps prevent sludging and reduces temperatures etc.

The newer motors today use all sorts of technology, so that "we can all breathe cleaner air" and to add to combustion efficiency etc so they need to run on the 50ppm diesel in order to run properly. In doing this the "boffins" extend the service intervals and we as the buying public are hugely impressed when we buy a vehicle that requires a service every 25000km. Well its no longer their problem after 100000km.

Our biggest problem with any diesel, new or old, is that reckless fuel suppliers sell us diesel mixed with eaither water, parrafin and dirt, sometimes all the above, either by accident or sometimes just to save a quick buck.

This contaminates the filter and sometimes is trapped by the water trap, but not always. Worse is if it gets into the system it will destroy your pump and injectors. So PLEASE PLEASE fill up at reputable garages, that are modern and clean and try use the same garage, as far as possible, in the event of contamination, you sometimes have a legal recourse.

Havoline Diesel is excellent stuff, as well as Castrol GTX diesel, Delo 400 etc.
    Look at the specs at the back, SG/CG for example. Means this oil is equally specced for petrol("S" denotes Spark) ("C" denotes Compression ignition) as well as diesel engines.

The higher the second letter along the alphabet, the higher its spec.
    ie. A brand SG/CK is better specced for diesel than petrol.
    If its cheaper than say a well known brand at say SG/CF, then i'd rather buy the SG/CK as its superior.

Just some useful info when it comes to shopping for oils

Air filter should do 20 000km in mostly tar driving. Dirt road driving will clog it very quickly because of the pick up, and where it is situated. Just take it out every oil change and blow it out with compressed air. If its so full of dust rather replace it. This is one of the causes of high exhaust gas temperatures, but that's another topic. Just good maintenance and you'll get hundreds of thousands of K's out of these engines
    Last edited by Haydn; 2010/11/16 at 06:42 PM.

2002 Colt, 2.8 tdi Rodeo, 4x4, ARB Bull Bar, Excalliber Running Boards, Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks, Cooper AT3's, Excel 53l long range tank, National Luna Dual Battery System, Campmaster 80l Fridge/Freezer Combo, FrontRunner Fridge slide and Bin Slide, Alpha Gte Canopy with FrontRunner Roof Rack and Homemade Awning...Pulling a Caravan sometimes

Thank you Haydn this is quite helpful...did the service over the weekend...everythings seems to be fine...

Regards,
    Coenie