Ponta Do Ouro Camp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ponta Do Ouro Camp

It will be my first visit to Moz in January and we will be camping at Ponta Do Ouro Campsite. If any forum members have stayed there I would appreciate some feedback:
    General facilities
    shops
    garage (diesel)
    local places of interest
    any other info or comments you may have.(good or bad), I would rather be forewarned.

Thanks
    James
    Cars and bikes to get dirty. Like any other naughty boy..

Prepare to be ripped off. Locals will try & sell you everything at triple the price... try to bargain for everything.

If you're trying to escape the incessant quad bikes, see if you can get a spot in the very nice campsite a little further north (about 5-8kms out of town), I forgot the name now (Campismo "something").

Eat lots of prawns/seafood, and stay away from red meat!

EDIT: sorry if that sounded a bit negative... it's a beautiful place with lots to do. Personally I just prefer to get further away from the border.
    Last edited by charlatan; 2006/12/19 at 03:14 PM.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0
    "The grey shoe". EFS Suspension | JK rims coming soon...
    2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Sport
    Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex Lift Kit | Rancho RS99009 / RS 99116 shocks | Custom Hack'nTap SYE + Double Cardan Driveshaft | RE Quick Disconnects | Unichip (164kW) | 31" Kumho KL71

I presume you entering via Jozini? Engen with steers about 10km from the border and garage in Ponta. Lovely place but very busy and the quad bikes WILL drive you nuts. It starts from early in the morning and they race in roads, enough to drive you nuts.

NIce play area for 4x4's at signal hill if you want to take a drive, also the elephant park higher up.

And do eat the prawns and drink the local beers.
    '16 Toyota Land Cruiser D/C v8
    '15 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D

Thanks guys

Oh, how I'm looking forward to the sound of quads all day long.

The last time I had an incident when camping was in England. Two families camping together at the bottom of a field with their music turned up full blast till late at night. At 11pm I had had enough, so walked down and kindly asked them to turn it down. The guy looked a bit a sheepish but the two 'ladies' whom were well tanked up told me to "get lost, they get up early anyway so dont give a damn". I acted all polite and told them I was glad to hear that, and went to bed. Having set my alarm for 6am, I drove down and stuck the bonnet of my Toyota 4 Runner into their tent, High Beams on and Hooter blaring. The same sheepish guy crawled out his sleeping bag only to come face to face with my trucks grill. When I had made sure everybody was awake, I left them to fall asleep again. At 8am I went back and shook the tent by its frame, yelling at them to wake up. Now they were really pissed off. When they finally got up at 10am looking really rough, they gave me the hairy eyeball, but kept their distance. I hadn't got much sleep, but man, I felt so much beter having got it out my system.

Not much hot water - not that it matters too much.

Camping fees are a rip off - about R80 per person per day, about 2 years ago.

Mozzies will be rife, so take all you need to keep them away.

Should be very festive this time of the year.

2M it the way to go - those who've been will know.
    Wade Bowman
    '07 Land Cruiser 76 SW
    '08 Discovery 3 V6TD HSE
    '11 Conqueror Companion

2M it the way to go - those who've been will know.
    Please explain !!!!

Camping is now R85 per night.

Quote Originally Posted by Maz4x4 View Post
    Please explain !!!!
    Nahhhhh!

Every time I try to remember, I wake up the next morning with a ###### bablahs!
    Wade Bowman
    '07 Land Cruiser 76 SW
    '08 Discovery 3 V6TD HSE
    '11 Conqueror Companion

I strongly suggest to rather go for Malongane or Campisimo - Malongane, although only 9 km from Ponta, is on a different planet. Better camp, better vibe, nice beach - everything!! 2M is available in Malongane, also visit the small little taverns on-route from Ponta to Malongane - you'll be surprised how cold they serve their 2M's. And as verybody suggested, go back to Ponta for their prawns!!

Enjoy

Willem Grobler
    Hilux Legend D/C KZTE with Echo 2

Quote Originally Posted by Willem Grobler View Post
    I strongly suggest to rather go for Malongane or Campisimo - Malongane, although only 9 km from Ponta, is on a different planet. Better camp, better vibe, nice beach - everything!! 2M is available in Malongane, also visit the small little taverns on-route from Ponta to Malongane - you'll be surprised how cold they serve their 2M's. And as verybody suggested, go back to Ponta for their prawns!!

Enjoy

Willem Grobler
    Hilux Legend D/C KZTE with Echo 2
    I agree, Malongane is a lovely campsite, with a bar at a stones throw. Shabeens along the way serve Lable Quarts at very reasonable prices, and a game of pool with the locals is always on the cards.

Ponto is about 20 min drive away, and has fuel and resturants. Shopping supplies are minimal and very pricey, so I would suggest you take as much as possible with.

Down a iced 2M and moenie worry nie! Most important - enjoy!
    Wade Bowman
    '07 Land Cruiser 76 SW
    '08 Discovery 3 V6TD HSE
    '11 Conqueror Companion

Quote Originally Posted by charlatan View Post
    If you're trying to escape the incessant quad bikes, see if you can get a spot in the very nice campsite a little further north (about 5-8kms out of town), I forgot the name now (Campismo "something").
    Campismo Ninho!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0
    "The grey shoe". EFS Suspension | JK rims coming soon...
    2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Sport
    Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex Lift Kit | Rancho RS99009 / RS 99116 shocks | Custom Hack'nTap SYE + Double Cardan Driveshaft | RE Quick Disconnects | Unichip (164kW) | 31" Kumho KL71

Going to be at malongane for 10 days in jan. Any nice trips near by that you guys might know about? Or any other advice?
    It seems beer is cheap so its not worth taking any with? And is moz money best for the shebeens?
    1997 Cruiser 1HZ - New Toy
    2003 Lexus IS200 - Daily
    2006 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 - Trouble Maker

Rands is better. I would rather go to Malongane again that Ponte. It has much better facilities etc, If i am not mistaken it is cheaper too!
    2005 Disco 3 SE v8 (current) -
    2003 Disco 2 ES v8 (previous)
    97 Defender 110 2.8i. (previous)
    96 Pajero 3.0 v6 (previous)
    97 Musso 3.0 TD (previous)

This now just me but Ponta is good for eating (especially Fish Monga and the orange place opposite the Fish Monga (Frenchi is the owner) for its pancakes) - but go stay in Malongane! If you can still change do it. Ponta's camp site is not near as nice as Malongane.

Malongane has a tree canopy of +-75%, better beach, diving the same, very nice bar (restaurant ok but not as good as the ones mentioned in Ponta), fishing I can't comment.

Driving to the elephant reserve is a day trip and I think it is worthwile (although very expensive entrance - if I recall correctly about R170 entrance - do not expect much game or elephants but still a good experience).

Close to Malongane is a few dunes to drive and Campisimo Ninho and Ponta Mamoli both are nice to go and take a beer. Also do not forget the small "shabeens" close to Malongane - good experience and the 2M's are very cold.
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX

k great thanks guys. ja we are going to malongane, just picked up on an old thread about d ouro, rather not start too many similar ones.

we got a big camp site up the north end which is supposedly quieter, so hopefully i wont get woken up too much by quad bikes as im planning to sleep til the crack of noon for the first few days.(assisted by some 2M)

thanks again.
    1997 Cruiser 1HZ - New Toy
    2003 Lexus IS200 - Daily
    2006 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 - Trouble Maker

Hi Berty,

Ive stayed at Ponta Malongane twice and can defininately recommend it. They dont allow quads in their campsite but have a parking area at the entrance.

I was there in Feb and it was stinking hot. Take a fan with so you sleep comfortably. Was last there about 2/3 months ago and actually needed a sheet to pull over while sleeping They have finished some building work recently and now have a pub upstairs on the deck which overlooks the beach/sea. Magnificent for sundowners - even though its the eastcoast.

Enjoy it

Grant
    IFS Hilux DC
    FJ75 curently being restored and modified

Just reread the thread and saw Maz4x4 started it. Half asleep . Havent stayed at Ponta do Ouro but as everyone says the prawns are very good at Ponta do Oura.

Grant
    IFS Hilux DC
    FJ75 curently being restored and modified

Default ponta do ouro

hi every one.
    just want to know if anybody got contacts or know of where we can get camping space for the easter weekend 2008 in ponta area up to mamoli or zitundo. it seems that every thing is fully booked acording to the travel places. don't know where to get other contact numbers of private people in the area. can some one maybe help me.
    thanks a lot

Koekies Koekemoer Stdton MP
    2004 Kia Sorento 3.5 V6 A/T
    '98 Colt Rodeo DC 4x4 V6 ;tnt branches;cooper STT'sastek Unichip;
    Suzuki LTZ 400 '05
    Craig 27Mhz SSB;
    Kirisun VHF
    ORRA ( B61 )
    ZS6CK

hi!!

although MOZ is a malaria area, would that include the Ponta area as well, or it a case of better safe then sorry!!

It is defnitely a high risk malaria area - do not take any chances!!
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX

it is better to take your medicine before you go there to be safe. don't listen to the okes claiming that it's not neccesary to take it. it is the rainy season there now with lots of mozzies around.when are you planning to go to ponta do oura.

Koekies Koekemoer Stdton MP
    2004 Kia Sorento 3.5 V6 A/T
    '98 Colt Rodeo DC 4x4 V6 ;tnt branches;cooper STT'sastek Unichip;
    Suzuki LTZ 400 '05
    Craig 27Mhz SSB;
    Kirisun VHF
    ORRA ( B61 )
    ZS6CK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast