Thermoelectric Cooler

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thermoelectric Cooler

Anyway that is the description on the box it came in. I was given this as an early xmas present. I also have 35L Zero 3 way fridge so this will only see occasional use. The capacity is 14L and runs from 12voltDC. It say it will cool down to 20 - 25 degrees below ambient temperature so it may just be a glorified cooler box. ButI have a few questions about it:

What is the expected power draw, meaning will I be able to run it from the car's battery for some hours and then still be able to start. The booklet that came with shows that it can also be run from mains with a transformer(not included). Does anyone know where in the Cape Town vicinity is a place that I can inquire about a suitable transformer.

Thanx
    Last edited by Andre; 2006/12/19 at 02:39 PM.
    Andre Botha
    2006 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB, Gomad bash plates. Monroe Adventure shocks.

Zakspeed on Voortrekker Road should have transformers.
    It should probably be able to run off a battery charger as well
    Last edited by Spike; 2006/12/19 at 04:07 PM. Reason: grammar
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

The places stocking Coleman coolers have transformers available as well.
    Johann Bredell

I have one of these Coleman thermo-electric coolers, and it works like a charm. Had it running off the battery previously for about 6 hours and the Jeep started without problems. I'm not sure what the current draw is, but I'm sure the 14 litre cooler will be less than the Coleman.

I bought an inverter from Makro for about R200-R300 quite a while back to run the Coleman off mains, and used it as a fridge for about a week while staying in a guest house. I take this little inverter along and wherever we stop I plug the Coleman into it keeping my drinks nice and cold!
    I don't know what rating this inverter has - but it shows an output of 12V 5A on the casing. It's a small black unit with a cigarette lighter plug where you can plug in the cooler.
    Last edited by Jeepster; 2006/12/19 at 03:59 PM.

2012 Jeep WK2 Limited CRD
    2" Murchison Lift
    265/65R18 Dick Cepek Trail Country
    TJM sidesteps
    Uneek4x4 Recovery points

I have one from Snomaster 15L, use 20ml of water to help the cooling. Run it at home to keep the beers cold (10 bottels), the wife don't like my beers in the fridge. I got a converter with mine. It states that it can cool up to 28 degrees below ambient or warmup to 70 degrees. Comes with a nice bag on a trolly. I don't know about the 12V usage.
    2013 Subaru Forester XS<br>2012 Victory Vegas 8 Ball

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pepe For This Useful Post:

Zakspeed on Voortrekker Road should have transformers
    Thanx Spike
    Will pay them a visit while on leave.
    Andre Botha

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    I have one from Snomaster 15L, use 20ml of water to help the cooling. Run it at home to keep the beers cold (10 bottels), the wife don't like my beers in the fridge. I got a converter with mine. It states that it can cool up to 28 degrees below ambient or warmup to 70 degrees. Comes with a nice bag on a trolly. I don't know about the 12V usage.
    I got exactly the same one and the claims are valid! On Saturday, according to the temp gauge on the unit, it cooled the fridge from 34 degrees to 6 degrees, exactly 28 degrees below ambient. When I put some cold stuff in it, it further cooled it to 1 degrees. The water radiator type is only available on these Snomasters (and Kellerman units at Campworld which is actually also Snowmasters) and it makes a big difference.

I removed the trolly from the bag so that I could fit the cooler between the middle seats of my Condor. It works great in a car with the aircon on and will cool below 0 degrees if you set it that low.

When working it keeps my lunch and drinks cold. When going out to a party I just take the converter with and plug it in at the nearest plugpoint. No more worrying about repacking into your friends fridge or soggy coolerboxes with ice.

Found a transformer/rectifier at Cape Union Mart today. A bit pricey at R350 but I did not have to pay myself. At least it is a well known make - Waeco.
    Andre Botha

Default Termo Electric cooler

Easy way to establish the current drawn is to indeed connect it to a Battery charger with an Ammeter. {Remember polarity - standard configuration on a cigarette lighter plug is the front center pin = positive (red) and the side contacts = negative (black) The Ammeter will indicate the current drawn and a rough estimate to calculate Watts is to multiply the current from the Ammeter with 12 Volts (Amps x Volts = +/- Watts) [ie. 5 (Amps) x 12 (volts) = 60 Watts]

My R300 HiFi-Corp cooler (8 can) draws 5 Amps cooling and 5.2 Amps heating - measured with battery charger! The bottom of the cooler spec sheet indicates 4.8 Amps current and 60 Watts power consumption. I find that it works well keeping cold stuff cold but takes too long to cool down from ambient. Have not tried the heating option as I prefer my beer cold, even in mid-winter!!??!!

This could drain a 60 Amp-hour battery in roughly 10 - 12 hours, therefore I would not use it overnight etc, as it has no "battery low" cut out!

Cool

these coolers are quite popular here in the cape saw some surfers on the muizenberg beach with one of these coolers powered by a deep cycle battery they say it lasts for about 8 hrs but must pack cold stuff in first for it to function effeciently. pity a pipe from the aircon cant be directed into a large cubbay hole or something now
    that woul be cool aparrently these coolers can also becomw warmers some chinese trick i think
    Last edited by OFFROAD ADDICT; 2006/12/30 at 07:47 PM. Reason: after thought a senior moment

You're on to a good idea there though. Food for thought
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

The one that i got is actually the one they sell with the Mobicooler. I also cannot think of a situation where i will use the heating function.

pity a pipe from the aircon cant be directed into a large cubby hole or something now that woul be cool
    The first generation Opel Astras (1993 - 1999) had exactly that, I had one and it worked very well.

Wink

ANDRE you can cool your beer now and heat your pie later and maybe one day in the future you can roast a chicken in one technology is moving fast in the east

Quote Originally Posted by OFFROAD ADDICT View Post
    ANDRE you can cool your beer now and heat your pie later and maybe one day in the future you can roast a chicken in one technology is moving fast in the east
    Now this reminds me off something that has not come up on this forum. Remember the story about wrapping your wors in foil, tie it to the exhaust manifold, drive for 50 km at 100km speed and your wors or whatever will be done, have anyone actually tried this?
    Andre Botha

Andre wrote: "Remember the story about wrapping your wors in foil, tie it to the exhaust manifold, drive for 50 km at 100km speed and your wors or whatever will be done"
    Oo..uu...ch....!!!

Many moons ago a friend of mine did that regularly with a piece of boerewors with his m/cycle and the wors was quite tasty, except that the juices & fat from the wors on the exhaust caused smoke (first time fright) and also stained his chrome? pipes.

The thermo heat exchangers can draw up to 12A contineously. (make and model dependant) It will kill a vehicle battery in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongani View Post
    The thermo heat exchangers can draw up to 12A contineously. (make and model dependant) It will kill a vehicle battery in no time.
    I bought a Snomaster 25l Thermo cooler just before the holiday. It coped quite well with the heat of Balule and Shingwedzi. They claim 30 degrees below ambient and it did actually managed that. The worst was 10 degrees, but then it definately was more that 40 that day. I ran it overnight on my battery and did not have a problem the next day. It has a auto cut-out at 10.4v(I think), but it was still running the next morning. This cooler does not have a heating function, it can only cool. The lowest temparature was -3 degrees (in the car while traveling with the aircon on).

The caravan fridge/ freezer (3-way) did not cope at all in the heat. We actually depended on the cooler to keep the liquids cold.

Regards,
    Tinus

I have an older Coleman Thermoelectric cooler and to put it mildly it does not work very well. It is about a 40L size. It claims a fair temperature drop and all the rest but it does not perform anywhere near as well as it claims.

As with what Bongani said, this cooler will kill your battery overnight to a point where the starter solenoid just clicks unsympathetically at you.

I guess technology has improved somewhat on these coolers?
    Dale
    F150 4x4 5.4 Triton V8
    Series 3 Land Rover 109 SW
    GU Patrol 3.0Di GL
    Metalian Maxi in RED

The specs of the Snomaster is as follows:
    HM-SL25IA Sports Cooler
    Model: HM - SL25 IA
    Portable Sports Cooler
    Dimensions: (W) 540mm x (D) 340mm x (H) 430mm
    Capacity: 25 Litres
    Weight: 10 Kg
    12 Volt DC (Vehicle Battery)
    220 /110 Volt Mains
    Auto Cut-out at 10.4 Volts (Battery Voltage)
    Power Input: 96 Watt
    Cooling Performance: 30-35 Degrees C Below Ambient

Now I am not sure how long it will need to run to drain a 12 volt battery, but running overnight, I had no problems and it at least ran 30 degrees below ambient - even standing outside on a table even with the temp between 37 and 42 degrees.

regards,
    Tinus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast