Installing chips to increase power

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Installing chips to increase power

What do the experts think about the installation of a chip to increase power. I am a proud owner of a 2007 LWB Paj 3.2 DiD. Somebody introduced me to the idea, and revered me to a dealer that sells a German product that will increase the power from 121 Kw to 140 Kwand 373 Nm to 430 Nm for R4500 plus VAT. Is it save, and what are the negatives.

The increase in power is awesome!! Dont wait
    "Anybody can do just about anything with himself that he really wants to and makes up his mind to do.
    We are all capable of greater things than we realize"
    Norman Vincent Peale
    [SIGPIC]

Maybe you should invest in something like this:

Hehehehehe

It's been discussed over and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER !

Default sorry

Sorry, I am new at the game, only learned about this forum a week ago and recently aaplied for membership. Still struggeling to find my way

Stevan

Wat Sinwolf probeer se is: die meeste inligting wat mens benodig is reeds op die forum search eers voor jou post, jy gaan dalk baie tyd spaar.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Quote Originally Posted by stevan View Post
    Sorry, I am new at the game, only learned about this forum a week ago and recently aaplied for membership. Still struggeling to find my way

No problem !! Just yanking your chain

But the topic has been discussed, and you'll get alot of info regarding this topic on the forum.

I think the long and the short of it is:
    1. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
    2. You can get an increase in performance with an increase in fuel consumption.
    3. You can get a fuel saving if you don't use the power all the time.
    4. Some people swear by it others couldn't feel a big difference.

If you have a lot of time search the forum and you will find HUNDREDS of comments on this issue!
    P.S enjoy the forum!

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

Default Thanks

Thank you for all the info, played on the forum and got a lot of usefull info.

Go on, chip your diesel en get the trouble you are begging for. You won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    Go on, chip your diesel en get the trouble you are begging for. You won't be disappointed.
    Now this is unecessary

Sinwolf, chipping TDi vehicles is dangerous practise especially in a country like ours where we have untrained people doing the work, harsh conditions and drivers who like to use the extra power.

If you have spend enough time driving with an EGT gauge on a standard TDi, you will find there is very little room, if any for for increasing power.

If you want a TDi to last, rather keep it as is. To risk R 4500 on a motor that will probably cost you at least R 50 000 to rebuilt, is brave.

Rather spend that R 4500 on a proper EMS system, like the Madman, and then decide if you still think it is safe to do the performance upgrade.
    Last edited by biltong; 2010/11/08 at 07:59 AM.

Sinwolf, chipping TDi vehicles is dangerous practise especially in a country like ours where we have untrained people doing the work, harsh conditions and drivers who like to use the extra power.

If you have spend enough time driving with an EGT gauge on a standard TDi, you will find there is very little room, if any for for increasing power.

If you want a TDi to last, rather keep it as is. To risk R 4500 on a motor that will probably cost you at least R 50 000 to rebuilt, is brave.

Rather spend that R 4500 on a proper EMS system, like the Madman, and then decide if you still think it is safe to do the performance upgrade.
    Crossing a street is also dangerous in this country, but we all do it

Yes, it could leave you with a broken engine if not done correctly, but there is also a lot of guys on this forum with chipped TDI's that hasn't had any trouble with their chipped vehicles !

Perhaps. But I am one of those not in favour of chipping, and I will say so!

Perhaps. But I am one of those not in favour of chipping, and I will say so!
    +1

If you want more power, sell the vehicle you have a get a more powerful vehicle. Chipping is hit and run and when it runs wrong on a TDI,you'll be crying for a long time. Just remember, the chip takes up the +-20% "safety" margin the OEM builds in as they know about the increased EGT and stress's that are induced by doing MILLIONS of km's of testing....also people just think of the motor, what about the gearbox, diff...etc...

Good example, the extreme North Pole Hilux's build, with 44" tyres...etc...they run HUGE modification to the drivetrain but guess what, they run TOTALLY STOCK motors...for reliability.

So go figure...

With more power comes more wear & tear, reliability & longevity are compromised. Its a risk im not prepared to take.

2004 DISCO TD5 GS AUTO.

I am one of those that is in favour of chipping (after many months agonising about it) and am having a good experience with it. But I would not have considered it without an EGT monitor and alarm. It should also be done at a reputable installer who will tune it on a Dyno with proper monitoring of EGTs.
    Last edited by tritontitan; 2010/11/08 at 02:52 PM.
    Doug
    Pajero 3.5V6 SWB (Gen 3)
    Yes I had to sell my fantastic Triton
    Going to miss it dearly!

The diesel EGT temps and all that make sense, but what about petrol engines?
    Is it safe to say there are only advantages and no real disadvantages on a petrol engine? ps. thinking of chipping my petrol navara ;-)

IMHO the only chip that should ever be in a car is the one that fell between the seat and centre consol. and this should also be removed, rather sooner than later.
    LC 105 GX 4500 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Silver Hole View Post
    IMHO the only chip that should ever be in a car is the one that fell between the seat and centre consol. and this should also be removed, rather sooner than later.
    Hi guys

basics of tuning:

Diesel: Increase fuelling = Drastic increase in EGT

Petrol: Increase fuelling = Decrease in EGT

Having said that, the only meaningful way to get mor oomph out of a diesel motor without dire consequences is to fit a larger (more effective) intercooler, maybe even a 2-stage cooler and improve the breathing of the motor, i.e. free flow exhaust and ITG airfilter.

If the motor isn't fitted with a VNT turbo, then a hybrid turbo (standard exhaust impeller and larger compressor one) will assist in getting more power out of the engine purely by making it more efficient. Important here is to NOT increase the turbo boost!!!!

That is about how far I would go.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan1 View Post
    The diesel EGT temps and all that make sense, but what about petrol engines?
    Is it safe to say there are only advantages and no real disadvantages on a petrol engine? ps. thinking of chipping my petrol navara ;-)
    Chipping a petrol is a waste of time UNLESS....it has a turbo...or, you gas flow, skim the head, bigger bore...etc...but now we talking BIG money here.

A Navara (V6) again would be an utter waste of cash...you can get away with a free flow and filter without a chip....the gains are very very low but the sound is "nice"....

I work on Rands/Kw....

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast