Thumbs down Just wondering...

Here is something that bothers the hell out of me...don't know whether anyone else have experienced this before, or maybe you are experiencing it as well...

The past week I have had numerous missed calls from an 'UNKNOWN' number on my cell phone. Now, normally I don't answer 'UNKNOWN" numbers. The way I see it, is that if you need to hide your number from the person you are phoning the there must be a reason for it. Ether you are embarrassed by your name; it is one of those drunk phone calls to you ex; you are a stalker; or most of the time you have a list of numbers that you are phoning in order to sell something that you cannot put in a shop.

Now, I understand that it is a job and that this type of marketing strategy provides income. And that most of these calls are recorded...blah...blah...blah

The past week I have had 3 phone calls from the same company, in 2 days. About an hour after the last call, I received another call from an "UNKNOWN" number. When I answered it, the person just cut the call off. So I suspect that it might have been phone call number 4.

The people who phone me claim to be some or other cellular service provider for Vodacom. And they want to sell me a contract on top of the ones I have ate Vodacom. This sounds a little stupid to me, because I already have contracts at Vodacom but that might just be me...

Never during any of the countless calls I have received in regards to this and other "amazing cellular deals" have I even made the slightest suggestion that I am interested in a deal. But you still get a phone call every week from another person who wants to tell you about the same deal or promotion. Which I always decline in a very polite fashion (and I am not being sarcastic). I also tell the person that I will never be interested in the deal or any other related deals or promotions, and that I would like to have my number removed from their list. And every time the person says that they will remove it. Then about a week later, I receive another phone call, and surprisingly it is the same thing all over again. This usually lasts for months on end. And then another company starts to test your patience.

This has led to me not giving my phone numbers away an most information sheets, and the amount of useless phone promotions has gone down over time. But now it seems that I am paying Vodacom to employ someone, and seeing that it is an enormous company, it might be a whole department of people who's job it is to give my number to these "UNKNOWN" number people. And this is starting to irritate me a lot, because there is no way to stop these people from phoning you. You are unable to block or screen their numbers, sometimes you are unable to convey your message of not wanting this "amazing deal" to the person on the other side of the phone, usually they phone you when you don't have time to talk to them and they just carry on and when you cancel to call they phone you right back.

The question that arises at this point is, why do the companies think that they have the right to divulge my phone number to other places in order to have me be harassed be marketing personnel for things that they know I don't need or want. I don't think it is fair, in the past we all used to receive junk mail. This you could throw away or delete from your computer, or even better just mark as spam. And this worked well, but these days there is a whole new mosquito industry out there. Surely there must be some form of control...is it really fair to just dish out our personal information to just anyone. Like for instance Vodacom, do they really have the right to give my number to other people without asking me?

Do these marketing companies really believe that after I decline their "amazing deals" and end the call I think to myself "O NO! I SHOULD HAVE ACTUALLY TAKEN THAT DEAL, HOW WILL I COPE WITH LIFE FURTHER ON. THE NEXT TIME THEY PHONE ME I WILL DEFINITELY TAKE IT!"

I don't think so! The way in which I was thought is that NO means NO, and that should be the end of it. But it seams that some where along the line word have changed meaning, the word NO seems to mean nowadays "PLEASE CALL ME LATER ON AGAIN, I REALLY WANT THIS DEAL! ONLY THING IS THAT I HAVE THIS REAL NEED OF BEING PHONED AND ASKED 20 TIMES BEFORE I FEEL WORTHY ENOUGH OF SAYING YES. SO PLEASE PHONE ME AGAIN IN A WEEKS TIME, AND EVEN THOUGH MY 24 MONTH CONTRACT STILL HAS 20 MONTHS TO GO, I WANT TO PAY TWO COMPANIES AT THE SAME TIME IN ORDER TO HAVE THE SAME CONTRACT. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!"

What are your views about this, or is it only me who feels this way?
    2000 Discovery 2 V8 ES
    The Adventure begins...

good rant aspiring (now proud D2 owner )

I think you will find plenty of sympathy...

but think about this....

the reason they do it is because there are enough people out there who respond and thus justify their existance. this is not done just to annoy you and I.

same as beggars, 'car guards', robot 'salesmen' amongst others - they would not be there if NO ONE gave them money.

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE THAT BUY OFF THESE MUPPETS AND WHY CAN THEY NOT JUST BE SHOT?

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    good rant aspiring (now proud D2 owner )

I think you will find plenty of sympathy...

but think about this....

the reason they do it is because there are enough people out there who respond and thus justify their existance. this is not done just to annoy you and I.

same as beggars, 'car guards', robot 'salesmen' amongst others - they would not be there if NO ONE gave them money.

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE THAT BUY OFF THESE MUPPETS AND WHY CAN THEY NOT JUST BE SHOT?
    Yip, apoc, same with prostitutes.... as long as there's a need there will be a market and thus there will be suppliers. Did you notice that I group these phone-marketers together with prostitutes....?
    Work. It's a wealthy man's privilege, and a poor man' fate....

André Opperman

"Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

Apocalypse, glad you agree!

Like I said, I understand why they are there and that it is an income for some people out there. But surely...they can at least have the decency to remove your number from the list when you are not interested in what they are selling.

In economics they taught us that profit is your income less expenditures. Thus if you decrease your expenditures then you make more profit. Calling some one a 1000 times who is not interested, only increases your expenditures and thus decreasing you profit.

Thanks for your support, glad someone else also shares my annoyances!
    2000 Discovery 2 V8 ES
    The Adventure begins...

Oppers

Well done with your comparison!

Do you think we should have ourselves tested for a couple of diseases after all those unprotected "UNKNOWN" numbers?
    2000 Discovery 2 V8 ES
    The Adventure begins...

1) I hate people calling me and gets so familiar that they pretend knowing me for years as best friends using my first name.
    2) I do not discuss my health problems with callers asking me how I am - I call my doctor to sort out problems.
    3) Pros will (be called by you not them you and on top of it they will) be able to speak my language fluently without adding eeeeeeeeee to every second word.
    4) I like to erase the bas teds that sell my personal info to these clowns to call me.
    Time for my prozac

Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post
    Yip, apoc, same with prostitutes.... as long as there's a need there will be a market and thus there will be suppliers. Did you notice that I group these phone-marketers together with prostitutes....?
    you can't group prostitutes in with these guys. Prostitutes supply an honest service to meet a demand and don't bug me. we all sell our bodies one way or another....

the telephone guys have no such morals. I had one a few weeks ago. I used language in his general direction I can't use on the forum and put the phone down. HE CALLED ME BACK TO DEMAND AN APOLOGY!!!!

I asked him to please tell me where he worked and I would come past and deliver my 'apologies' in person.

he didn't call me back a second time, wouldn't tell me where he got my number and wouldn't tell me where he worked or lived or give me his personal telephone number...

funny that...

I have a new idea, well maybe not new, let say I realized what this thread is really about.

This is now a safe zone to verbalize, or writeatize, what bugz you in life...

Go wild...!

Maybe we can change the world, or find a way to annoy certain parts of it BACK!
    2000 Discovery 2 V8 ES
    The Adventure begins...

I haven't had a call in almost a year now , very simple procedure .

I started a thread here with the solution to unsubscribing .

Default Help!

I want to attach a .mp3, how do I do it?
    "If it ain't broken - Modify it"
    -------------------------------------
    Ben
    '99 Jeep Wrangler; 4" Procom Lift kit; 4.7Lt Mopar conversion; 33"x12.5x15" MT Baja Claws (Mine); '11 Prado 4.0Lt VX Petrol (Ours); '08 MB SLK 200 Coupe (SWAMBO's); '08 Conqueror Commander

Depending on my mood and workload the poor chap on hte other end can expect
    a) Bad mood - me demand to know where he got my number, the minute (s)he tells mee from DMA I tell them my id's registered not to receive any calls. They normally apologise immediatly
    b) Semi-bad mooed - Tell them I not intersted and have a nice day and put the phone down
    c) Good mood - I have fun, I eihter get just as exited about my number being selected tell them I've never won anything and that they have no idea on how happy I am. This is where the fun starts because they need to back paddle fast. Or I play stupid and make them explain to me over and over what benefit will I derive from having two contracts. They eventually get fed up and hang up.

Garrie
    Defender 110 TD5 CSW 18P loving every moment driving it !!!!!
    Suzuki Jimny with custom made rack and drawers view here - Sold
    Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution...

I felt my bloodpressure increasing whilst reading this thread...

Just a couple of thoughts...,

I learnt recently that some of the major shopping malls actually sell their parking area to organizations that sub contacts the car guards. Those car guards then have to generate a certain base income from the "donations" you make to them, which is then obviously handed over to the "contractor" (read "employer"). The additional donations goes to the car guard who essentially pay for the privilege of using that specific section of the parking area...

I used to get regular calls from an international number and eventually just pretended that the line was unclear. Imagine you are callin and the person on the other side keeps going "hello...." then after a few seconds "hello...." and of course the winner is after another couple of seconds "helloooo...." followed by "sounds like there is nobody on the other side" and then shutting down.

Then again, has anyone listened to this call...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmO2H3AeHOY
    DesertLeon

Just fascinated by trains, planes and automobiles....

Have a listen to this solution....its brilliant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50

I had a "stalker" a while ago. "PRIVATE NUMBER" calls at any time of day (when I answer they disconnect the call) including 4 early mornings that there were +-35 missed calls from a private number. I now do not answer private calls, if you call from one leave me a voicemail and I will get back to you. Removing your number from the DMA's list is hogwash. I did a few times already and still end up in getting unwanted cell contracts and have won numerous comps.

cheers cheers