Pafuri - Mapai - Vilanculos

Default Pafuri - Mapai - Vilanculos

From 24/9 to 3/10 I guided a group of 6 vehicles through this route. Done it in 2009 also and enjoyed the scenery. Next year I will rather stay at Punda Maria before crossing the border at Pafuri early the next morning to save some time and to reach Vilanculos before dark 2 days later.

Crossing the Limpopo was easy.

Camping in the bush close to Mapai was good and a whole new experience for some.

Road condition - 40km/h in most parts. Gravel roads is fairly good with surprising sand patches which could cause a problem if you go too fast and are heavily loaded. Half way through there is a filling station at Mabote so I won't carry that much extra fuel again.

Vilanculos - Blue Water Bay Resort is expensive (R135pp for camping) with no hot water for the first night. (They didn't have any other campers).

Restaurant food is not really good value for money, so rather do the self catering thing.

The lookout point towards Inhassoro is a must. Dhow sunset cruise was very nice (Thanks Gerrie) and the diving at the Island was boring as fisherman removes most fish from the area.

From here we travelled South and stayed at Pomene (won't skip it again!), Paindane (Very nice) and Bilene.

If anyone knows of a good, clean campsite at Bilene with a view of the lagoon except for Laguna Camp and Palmeiras please let me know for our 2011 tour.
    Last edited by Alfonso; 2010/10/27 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Add Picture
    *** ADMIN REMOVED ***

We camped at Pafuri River Camp (R100pp), which was very nice and just 5km from the Pafuri gate. It is then just 45km to the border post.

We also camped at the Mapai camp in the Transfrontier Park, whcih was basic but had hot showers (donkey) and 2 flush toilets. So no need to bush camp. It was R50pp.

We stayed at Archipeligo at Vilanculos, in very nice 6 sleeper chalets with a great sea view. But they also have camping (but not sure how much).