Space Saver Spare Wheel

Default Space Saver Spare Wheel

Hi, New kid on the block here and having observed the requested protocol to introduce myself which I have done, First post up
    I am looking for a tyre size that would facilitate the requirements of a spare wheel without the width of the current tyre on my vehicle.
    Currently running 275/75/16 BFG A/T so need something of a "Marie Biscuit" wheel and tyre that can be used as a spare under my already fitted long range tank.
    This way I can save on not going the spare wheel carrier on the back or even putting it on the roof.
    I am led to believe that the ML Merc and X5 BMW's use a "Marie Biscuit" spare on a 17" but the profile is too low to get the required diameter needed. The hub can be re-engineered for the Toyota PDC.
    ANy thoughts will help.

hi gajac, i`d say rather go with the spare wheel carrier, you don`t wanna get stuck in the bush with a " marie biscuit". but thats just my opinion, i`m sure one of the other guys will give you better advice!
    TOYOTA PRADO 1998 V6,3.4l
    TOYOTA HILUX 2003 2.7
    SWAMBO: MAZDA 2 2008

Not entirely sure how this reply system works but here goes anyway. The requirement for the spare is primarily for around town when the missus uses it otherwise I would consider travelling without it maybe foolish in thought but the distance I travel around town is not great but would not want the missus to be stranded without a spare, so believe a "Marie Biscuit " spare to be up for the task. Going into the shateen the spare would be with the trailer.
    PS Thanks Uys for your info earlier this am.

"Smallest" you can go and stay within +2% diff is with a 245/85/16 (don't know who makes that odd size). It is only 0.49% larger.

Going within -2% (smaller) you can fit a 235/85/16 it is -1.59%.

Assume that you have a one-on-one visit with your Creator quarterly. Now live accordingly.

265/75R16 803,9mm diameter

235/85R16 805,9mm diameter 0,25% difference

Both listed on BFG webpage as 31,7"
    Ps 16:5

Glad I am using a US DOT approved Tyre Calculator.

Assume that you have a one-on-one visit with your Creator quarterly. Now live accordingly.

Gajac,

the BMW marie biscuit does not come on the same size rim as the normal wheels of the vehicle. The tyre is almost like a motorcycle tyre, a small tyre on a very large diameter rim (I'll have to go check my car when I get home to find the exact size).

Point is, this is not just a normal rim with a narrower tyre. Have a look at the marie biscuits on Volkswagens, same concept.

And yes it will work for your application, if you can find one. Maybe try a scrap yard? There must be some X's that have been destroyed.

C

Default C

Thanks for the X5 info this is exactly my thinking as it will only be used for around town emergency use. I will look into who /where to try for scrap yards wrecked X5 sapce saver rim. Any one else with ML info??

Quote Originally Posted by Gajac View Post
    Any one else with ML info??
    ML W163- Emergency Spare Wheel:

Pressed aluminium rim- 4J x 18 H2 ETO
    Tyre- T155/90 D18 113M

Thanks guys for the input. Can I still have someone kindly measure the diametre of the space saver spares on the X5 and ML Please.
    Also a point made on the ML is that it is a pressed Ally rim?? What of the X5 as this will have an input on the modification of the rim to Toyotas PDC required.

Quote Originally Posted by Gajac View Post
    Thanks guys for the input. Can I still have someone kindly measure the diametre of the space saver spares on the X5 and ML Please.
    ML spare diameter 736mm

Thanks for that I suppose that is the ML I was leaning on out of the options list, Hopefully the X5 is up where I need Thanks to all for their input