Thread: Mike

Default Mike

Hi please could any one give me some advice and genuine figures. I am keen to get a disco 2. Was looking at the diesel for moms taxi but to find a really good one with low kms would have to pay R170k, am a real petrol fan just the simplicity and power works for me, the fuel worrys me but at around 15.5l per 100kms is fine as I justify this buy finding a good one for around R135k so the HP monthly differance more than makes up for the extra fuel. We live out of town and must travel 50 km per day. Service intervals and costs diesel vs petrol etc and just some good old sound advice, can any one comment thanks mike

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

Every Petrol vs Diesel discussion has excellent points either way and a case can be made for both, so it boils down to what makes you feel comfortable.

For me it is V8 all the way.

Good luck and whatever you choose will be the right choice for you.
    4x4 less.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Blyth View Post
    Hi please could any one give me some advice and genuine figures. I am keen to get a disco 2. Was looking at the diesel for moms taxi but to find a really good one with low kms would have to pay R170k, am a real petrol fan just the simplicity and power works for me, the fuel worrys me but at around 15.5l per 100kms is fine as I justify this buy finding a good one for around R135k so the HP monthly differance more than makes up for the extra fuel. mike
    Hi Mike. I am enjoying my D2. I think it is a great vehicle. It cruises well, making the journey to the holiday bearable, is decent off road making the holiday fun.

However, at 15.5 l/100 you are going to ahve to have a VERY light foot. I have kept a petrol log since I got my d2 v8 and my BEST is 14.16 l/100. My average since I bought it is 19.07 L/100.

Hope this helps.
    Paul.

Hi Mike, welcome. I am loving my D2 (owned it since January this year). I have driven a V8, but not owned one, so my advice is TD5 based.

Go for auto, my wife hates driving my car (a blessing perhaps) as the manual + turbo lag combination can take a little getting used to.

As far a fuel consupmtion goes, I get around 9-10km/L (filled up this morning and put in 84.4litres, having done 832km). In terms of maintenance there are a few well documented issues on the TD5 to look out for (search this forum, plenty of posts). I guess like most cars your future maintenance costs will depend a great deal on how the vehicle has been maintained up until you buy it - so V8 or TD5, take it to an independent for a thorough check before you buy it.

Besides replacing an exhaust manifold stud, none of the maintenace I have had to do has been TD5 specifc.
    2011 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2012 Mini-Metalian Trailer

Default How do you?

SS
    what is your average distance and speed and where in cape town do you travel to get 823km on a tank. i struggle to get 9km/l. at best 7.5 to 8.
    rondeboch to canal walk twice a day and at least one stellenbosch trip per week. never do more than 120km/h and keep it below 2500rpm.

it seems very few guys get better than 8km/l with the Td5 on combined cycle.
    still good compared with many Jap diesels. a mate averages 7 with his Isuzu double cab diesel.
    i used to get around 7.5 with my Ford Ranger 2.5 TD.
    most of the others are part time 4WD and should have a better advantage.

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

Hi Mike,i've got a D2 V8 ES and won't change to anything else.Got my car 5 years now with only a view niggles here and there(minor stuff)
    My feul consumption is between 6/7 km/liter.I get 6.5 easy with no nursing it and best ever was 7.6km/L.When towing it drops to between 4.5-5.5km/L
    (i must say i had my Heads gasflowed and a chip was done)
    Overall i'm very happy and you can't beat the sound and power of the V8.
    Go for the Auto-you won't regret it
    [/SIGPIC]Disco 3 TDV6 HSE
    Bmw GS 1200
    Vito 115

Rotary's

Hi all and thanks for the welcome and replys, much appriciated.

Hennie you seem to of got yours right and it makes me ask at 6.5km/l why do most people go for the TD5 at 7.5km/l ? I put a branch and 50mm pipe and chip on my old 3.5 Pajero and if dropped the consumption from 14.1l/100km to 12.8l/100km and improved the power a bit. Is this the must do on the V8 and which branch and pipe and chip? Are their any other tips for better fuel consumption.

Thanks again mike

there are options such as chipping and dynos but generally they are so expensive and time consuming that your return of investment is 2 - 3 years. the chip should be one where you can interface with a laptop on the move to tweak the engine.
    tyres are very important for economy.
    the selection of the tread pattern and the pressure is important.
    you could easily get 1l/100km improvement by driving with road tread energy efficient tyres and inflating to the point where the ride may become bumpy.
    makes like Michelin offer good rolling resistance and running pressures of 2.5 bar all round on the D2 on the normal 245/70-16 profile filled with Nitrogen will make a difference. you will have to experiment with pressures to find the correct balance.
    also proven that filling with 95 octane will improve consumption systematically. normally by the 3 rd tank you will see a difference.

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

I have yet to see a D2 V8 perform flawlessly with a chip fitted, in fact all of the problems with D2 performance can be traced to rubbish aftermarket add on chips, if fitted thorugh it out and have a live data on diagnostics carried out, this will point to any faults in the system if the right person has the correct understanding of what to look for (like myself)

Issues like MAF sensor and worn out cams along with worn out timing chanis cannot be ignored on D2's

Adding performance branches does not improve the power enough to warrant its cost, however removing and replacing the exhaust from the branches to the back does help alot and should be considered as the 1st point to start.

Checking for a worn out timing chain is very easy t otest for but that is going to be detailed in my blog shortly along with some pics.

If a D2 is alot down on power a compression test should be carried out, its not uncommon for the T chain and camshaft to need replacing even at 80 000ks from new. I have a 2004 D2 in the shop right now requiring such repairs with 104 000ks on the clock and camshaft is so worn it resulted in a misfire, not to mention that another indy just a few weeks back did a head job thinking it "might" have had a burnt valve.

When it comes to the T chain I will only fit genuine LR due to aftermarket chains been drastically worn out after a mere 3000 k's

As for costing purposes I would opt for the V8, it still beats many other vehicles in its range hands down on fuel and maintenace
    Last edited by viperover; 2012/07/02 at 03:14 PM.
    30 years experience and knowledge certainly out weighs a 5min keyboard bashing on google
    Love's electrickery stuff and problems related to it as long as it dont go bang cos then its f......
    NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT
    A V8 is where thunder is made
    100%WEE

D2, TD5, 8.7km/l best and 8.5km/l ave...click my fuelly link in my siganture for full info...
    Jaco
    2004 Defender DCPU TD5 - BRUTUS
    Bullbar | Winch | Snorkel | Dual Battery | Long Range | Water Tank | Alu Canopy | Snomaster 66L Dual Fridge/Freezer | Awning | Packing System | Roof Rack | Spare Swing Bracket | Warn Spots | Rear Air Helpers | 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorn | Terrafirma Steering Rods | Front Detroit Trutrac Locker | Rear Detroit Full Locker
    2005 Disco 2 TD5 - LOLLOS a.k.a SWAMBO's Taxi
    Burnco Bullbar | Cooper Discoverers
    4X4AG - GP 0181
    2016 Jurgens Safari Xplorer - BOSSIE

I went the v8 route as the diesel maintenance scares me.
    Echo what the others say with +\- 17 litres per 100km mixed driving. Town driving its worse 19 l/100km with short trips which i try avoid.

There have been many debates about running and maintenance costs of petrol vs diesl. See the link below:
    http://www.aa.co.nz/motoring/aa-torq...ar-cut-winner/
    2011 Discovery LR4 HSE
    2009 LR 110 Defender Puma SVX, 60th Anniversary Ltd Edition.
    2006 LR 110 Defender Td5
    2014 Jurgens Safari Xplorer
    Renault Clio VaVaVoom

I drive an oiler so my 2cw is limited to the TD5. Most of the issues here seem to be aimed at fuel consumption. If I get less than 10km/Lt then I start looking for why. We did 10000km trip though Botswana, Zimbabwe and Namibia with a lot of sand driving in Botswana, towing a fully laden XT140 with 4 up and the Landy loaded to the brim. Average consumption for the trip 12,1 km/lt. Maintenance is a bit more expensive than the petrol, but the pleasure of regularly getting 900km plus on a tank just does it for me. In the end it comes to personal choice, diesel or petrol.
    Steve
    Jetta 2.0 TDI 2012
    Pajero 3.2 SWB 2009
    Jurgens Xcape
    Discovery II TD5 2004 (Sold)

but to find a really good one with low kms would have to pay R170k
    Where are you looking REALLY good ones (ES) with low kilos should not go for more than R160k max! And now I'm talking sub 100 000km models.

am a real petrol fan just the simplicity and power works for me, the fuel worrys me but at around 15.5l per 100kms is fine as I justify this buy finding a good one for around R135k so the HP monthly differance more than makes up for the extra fuel. We live out of town and must travel 50 km per day.
    Since you will be travelling mostly open road you CAN work on 15 - 16 L/100km. Go for Auto. Stay away from chips and branches. Read this first: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...light=branches

What you can do is to remove the centre silencer and replace that with a 63mm (NOT 57mm) FF box - for a bit more "v8 sound", not for performance.
    Best regards
    Philip
    LR: '11 Rangie 5.0 S/C & '01 Disco 2 XS 4.6 V8
    Ford: '19 Ranger 3.2 XLS Manual SuperCab 4x4 (XLT was horrible)
    Chevrolet: '70 C10 350ci / 700R4 (4-sp Overdrive) & '59 Apache (Stepside)

We live out of town
    If you get an ES, which I can highly recommend (which comes with 18" wheels) and you have to travel on dirt roads, change those rims for 16". Doing so, massively improves comfort.

In fact, do so anyway...
    Best regards
    Philip
    LR: '11 Rangie 5.0 S/C & '01 Disco 2 XS 4.6 V8
    Ford: '19 Ranger 3.2 XLS Manual SuperCab 4x4 (XLT was horrible)
    Chevrolet: '70 C10 350ci / 700R4 (4-sp Overdrive) & '59 Apache (Stepside)

Quote Originally Posted by Plod View Post
    I drive an oiler so my 2cw is limited to the TD5. Most of the issues here seem to be aimed at fuel consumption. If I get less than 10km/Lt then I start looking for why. We did 10000km trip though Botswana, Zimbabwe and Namibia with a lot of sand driving in Botswana, towing a fully laden XT140 with 4 up and the Landy loaded to the brim. Average consumption for the trip 12,1 km/lt. Maintenance is a bit more expensive than the petrol, but the pleasure of regularly getting 900km plus on a tank just does it for me. In the end it comes to personal choice, diesel or petrol.
    Did it break down or have any problems, ?? we always hear about Landy problems, but hardly ever about no problems...nice post for a change.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian