Yes there are some last resorts that you can use when your vehicle is stuck.

I am talking about manual 4x4 vehicle here for now.

Over the years when I have been out 4x4ing by myself in other words only one vehicle, now we are talking about on the various trails around home, not venturing out into Africa, by one self, I have had my various 4x4 vehicles so stuck in mud, soft sand and water that other ideas have had to be found to get unstuck and on the way again.

If you are stuck in water and your vehicle will not start and you do not have a winch fitted to your vehicle, what do you do?

Remove the fan belt that drives the fan blades.

Then select a gear that is suitable for your vehicle I found that 2nd gear low range worked well, turn the key and the starter motor will turn and slowly your vehicle will move foreward (not very good for the starter motor, but water in your cab is not too good as well) if you are lucky your vehicle will move to higher ground and you can then attempt to get it going again.

But remember that if water has entered the engine, you will have to remove the spark plugs if it is a petrol and if it is a diesel you will have to remove the glow plugs.

Another method is to use your High Lift Jack as a winch (see my other thread for details of this operation).

But the best option in any water crossing is to first check the depth of the water, check the angle of approach and the departure angle, sometimes if the water crossing is in a tidal river, there may be a drop off into much deeper water and then you will have problems with the maximum wading depth of your vehicle, on the Ford and Mazda 2.5 TDI the intake is fitted much lower down and many a driver is caught out when they attempt to cross or drive through deep water.

Please note ( I am only using this brand vehicle as an example) there are many other vehicle's similar with the same problem.

Do you know what the max wading depth is for your 4x4? Sometimes it is stated in the vehicle's hand book.