Default Navara vs Defender

Hi all!

Ok, decision time for us... We are looking to replace our tow vehicle with something that will tow up to 3500 kg (4-berth horsebox). Our options are the Nissan Navara (403 Nm) or the Land Rover Defender (360 Nm). The Navara is a comfortable, fuel-efficient vehicle, while the Defender is just that....the legendary and unstoppable Defender! Both my wife and I are leaning towards the Defender, but we can't totally discredit the Navara because it is an awesome vehicle. The Navara also tows better than the Defender according to the horsebox manufacturer. Any comments to swing the vote greatly appreciated!

I've never driven a Navara or towed with either vehicle, but I would advise you not to put too much faith in quoted power or torque output.

Even assuming that the marketing departments at Nissan and Land Rover were 100% honest and vehicles themselves had identical weights and identical effective gearing, peak horsepower and torque really do not mean much in real world driving or towing.

What you should care about is total torque for the RPMs you will be driving at (and of course, gearing and weight).
    Ниссан Патроль- эта самая бойцовская машина!

That Navara has a great motor, but the clutch is a problem. Especially if you are going to be towing.

There is however a guy here in ZA that brings in a special clutch kit that works.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Just make sure you take the auto box not manual.

I should also check whether it is legal for the Navara to tow that weight. The manufacturer spec says it is capable, but it doesn't mean it is legal. There are info on that elsewhere on the forum or on some of the caravan forums, but I think you cannot tow more than the weight of the vehicle from a legal perspective.

Thanks for that Mikehe. As far as I know, if you have over-run brakes, you can only tow up to the weight of the towing vehicle. However, if you have service brakes, the limit is higher.