Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sorry for Nissan

I was seriously considering unleashing some good cash on a Navara, but after reading about all of the mechanical problems owners are experieincing with their vehicles, especially the clutch, my decision to go for the new Fortuner has been sealed.

It would appear that Nissan have the same approach to their vehicles' mechanical reliability as they do with their general service levels, RSA vehicle range and respective pricing. They could not give a damn!

Questions I posed to Nissan SA months ago remain unanswered:

Why does Nissan not sell the XTerra (Paladin) here in RSA?
    The Pathfinder is heavily overpriced and competing in the wrong segment (also no rear diff lock) - result is very low monthly sales?
    Why are Patrols R360 000 in Australia and R585 000 here is RSA?
    Does Nissan Japan not worry that sales of the Patrol and Pathfinder in RSA are pathetic to say the least?

Nissan SA cannot answer me because they probably do not have a good answer for me. I'm not sure who the CEO of Nissan SA is, but it is high time that he got the boot by the Japanese head office. They need to bring in someone with some common sense and understanding of the RSA market, to run the operation here. Certainly Nissan SA could learn a thing or two from their Australian counterparts who have got their service, range and pricing just right.

Sorry for you Nissan, yet another customer turned away in the face of your rampant incompetence.
    Last edited by Defenderman; 2010/10/24 at 06:32 PM.

And the review of the Pathfinder in the latest SA4X4 is not helping either. Quite sad since I do have a soft spot for Nissan.
    www.lani4travel.com

Louis Le Grange

Yes, I agree, the article basically said that you would be better off buying a Fortuner! Again, I cannot believe how miguided Nissan SA was not to launch the XTerra (Paladin) here. Fantastic vehicle offering more offroad ability than the soft X-Trail, at a more affordable price than the inflated Pathfinder. This gap in the Nissan range is what the Fortuner has capitalised on so successfully.

At least Mistubishi woke up with the Pajero Sport and Ford with the Everest. Doesn't say much for Isuzu who discontinued the Frontier which had built a solid reputation and would have competed head on with the Fortuner. All the hard work was done and then they discontinued it. Sorry for Isuzu as well, they completely misread the market opportunity. I wonder how many Isuzu fans are now behind the wheel of a Fortuner since there is no longer a station wagon option in the Isuzu range.
    Last edited by Defenderman; 2010/10/12 at 08:10 AM.

Yes, it is a weird place where the pathfinder has been placed. Sort of between a Fortuner and Discovery/Prado. It's a nice looking car, but it lacks in certain departments...

really sad...I LOVE the xterra.
    2018 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT DC 4x4 A/T

Navara? And now going from Double Cab to Station Wagon?

Just joking - its a Hilux man speaking
    Hennie
    Hilux 3.0 D-4D D/C Legend 45 4X4
    Challenger Wilderness 450 with Tentco TTT

Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    And the review of the Pathfinder in the latest SA4X4 is not helping either. Quite sad since I do have a soft spot for Nissan.
    For most the part their review was accurate and hopefully Nissan catch a wake up, but the reviewers look at offroad ability only not from an OWNERS perspective. There the Toyota fails dismally and very few compete with the Pathfinder.

Please explain your statement dieselfan...

Arrow regards original question......

regards original question......
    for the same reason we dont get the LC76 SW with the nice V8 twin turbo and instead a donkey engine with offset diffs that cause your rear to drag in soft sand... we in SA are the dumping ground for failed attempts elsewhere and japans leftover stock.
    nissan would love to sell the cream of the crop, i bet they are told what they can and cant sell. buy something else.

I drove a Nissan Terrano for years and felt it was very capable off road. They certainly made a mistake when they discontinued it. I still drive a Nissan (Murano), "great" it is on the road, but much to be desired offroad. I think a City Golf has more clearance than this.
    Pieter in Randburg
    2011 Fortuner 4x4 Diesel Auto
    Platkar: Lexus RC350 F-Sport

Previous:
    Nissan Terrano
    Nissan Murano (This cannot be considered a 4x4)
    Land Rover 110 Tdi (This one broke too many times)
    Land Rover 90 Series IIA (I miss this one the most, but not the oily hands)

Quote Originally Posted by dieselfan View Post
    For most the part their review was accurate and hopefully Nissan catch a wake up, but the reviewers look at offroad ability only not from an OWNERS perspective. There the Toyota fails dismally and very few compete with the Pathfinder.
    Not sure what you are trying to say here dieselfan - please explain/elaborate your statement.
    Life can be a tough journey - So drive a Hilux!

Randburg, I agree, but remember the Murano is like a M6, its not a car, its not a SUV but rather a crossover.Never ment do go offroad but rather have better control and handling due to the 4wd system. the thing about these types of cars is "why do one buy them?". because they look great, they perform great, they have space and they look different. plus....you can!

The Pathfinder is heavily overpriced and competing in the wrong segment (also no rear diff lock) - result is very low monthly sales? --> (1) they try and compete across two segments as they do not have direct competition against each one individually. (2) as a bussiness you either sell more units for less, or you sell less units for more...

Why are Patrols R360 000 in Australia and R585 000 here is RSA? --> selling less units at a higher price

Does Nissan Japan not worry that sales of the Patrol and Pathfinder in RSA are pathetic to say the least? --> ummmm...no

I'm not sure who the CEO of Nissan SA is, but it is high time that he got the boot by the Japanese head office. --> he/she must be meeting targets, no doubt
    Last edited by Eish_Man; 2010/10/18 at 04:11 PM.

My Navara is the best 4x4 I have owned yet!

I also love my Navara. I cant really say it is the best 4x4 I have ever owend since I did not buy it for its 4X4 capabilities.
    Yes there was some clutch problems, but I own an auto 4,0 L V 6, it is probably one of the best tow vehicles I have ever owned. Yes its dors, but which V6 is not dors, owened a Prado 4,0, V6, same fuel consumption.
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Land Rover Discovery 4 V8 HSE (Swambo)

A couple of perspectives. I would like to understand your views on why the Pathfinder is overpriced, why you believe it doesn't fit in the segment, and which segment that is that you refer to.

As far as luxury and comfort are concerned, the Pathfinder is probably better than the Prado, and it is probably on the Disco 4 that is better.

I agree it does lack in pure technical off road ability, and scores significantly lower than Prado and Disco, but then it is quite a bit cheaper than those 2 vehicles. Probably compares directly best with the Pajero, but still quite a bit cheaper.

Yes it doesn't have a diff lock but does have traction control, which should get you out of 99% of situations. If you are going to do serious offroading then don't choose the Pathfinder, but then dont' choose the Prado TX either.

So for highway driving, dirt road and gravel driving, load space, 7 seats, great towing, some technical 4x4ing, the Pathfinder is a great vehicle.

Mine is 4 years old, and is fantastic in those departments, I seldom use it for heavy trails. The only problem is the bloody clutch, which is why I have to sell mine soon, before the warranty on the last clutch replacement runs out. But I am sure I will miss its practical features, its space and comfort.

Navara is a world class vehicle, only in SA the service is much to be desired.

Some organisations are run and managed buy professionals, but unfortunately Nissan isn't.
    Defenderman its unlikely that you will get a response from them....all they are interested in is profit.

I also have some news for you, the others are also seeming to follow Nissans example in some ways...
    I hope this doesn't turn out to be a name and shame post, because there is some good points as well

We as consumers should have a more powerful voice that has a bite in it that can hurt....

Ian
    Last edited by OFFROAD ADDICT; 2010/10/24 at 12:02 PM.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Nissan service is not just bad in SA.

(It is my private theory that one reason Toyotas tend to cost more than Nissans and have better resale value is because of the Toyota service organization. Like anything else, it's a business decision ont he part of the manufacturers.)
    Ниссан Патроль- эта самая бойцовская машина!

Does the Xterra come in Right Hand Drive?

It is also a pitty that Niisan SA has decided to discontinue the Navara 4,0L 4X4 Auto.
    Now I will have to drive mine until it breaks into pieces.
    Last edited by JohanJvV; 2010/10/27 at 03:03 PM.
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Land Rover Discovery 4 V8 HSE (Swambo)

Quote Originally Posted by dieselfan View Post
    Personally I would also like to hear the elaboration on this statement Dieselfan!!!!
    "If it ain't broken - Modify it"
    -------------------------------------
    Ben
    '99 Jeep Wrangler; 4" Procom Lift kit; 4.7Lt Mopar conversion; 33"x12.5x15" MT Baja Claws (Mine); '11 Prado 4.0Lt VX Petrol (Ours); '08 MB SLK 200 Coupe (SWAMBO's); '08 Conqueror Commander

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast