Compressor Fridge - Is Dual Battery System Required

Default Compressor Fridge - Is Dual Battery System Required

Can anyone let me know if it is possible to run a fridge effectively without a dual battery system? I am not a fan of extra batteries lurking in my vehicle and would like to confirm whether anyone has run their fridge on long overland trips without a dual system.

You can, just make sure your wiring is thick enough, if the wires are to thin the volt drop will be to big - 16mm wiring will do it
    Francois Engelbrecht
    3.0 Hardbody DC 4x4

Of course you can and it works good. Your car will start in the morning. Then like human nature. Add a light, then another and charge your cell phone and your electric tooth brush and then in the middle of nowhere. It happens. You are alone and the car will not start in the morning and then you are really angry and blame everybody and everything except your self. That is why everybody uses two batteries. One for the car and one for everything else.
    Willem
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=334&dateline=12167411  73Echo 3 Trailer with all the goodies.
    FJ Cruiser (Stompie)

I am a fairly new Engel owner, up until now I have used my faithful 3 way (and will continue to do so!) I recon that the compressor fridge without a dual battery system is fantastic for somebody doing a lot of driving and not toooooo much camping. I have worked out that about 4 to 5 hours of run time with vehicle switched off is about it, any longer and the vehicle battery will be very low. I know the Campmaster fridges (maybe others) have a low voltage cut out which is great. The Engel does not! and my first two attempts at "a day out there" resulted in a flat battery albeit with nice cold beers which we needed after pushing the car to start it ......

I ran a small deepfreeze and a bar fridge in my Microbus for 10 years from the cars battery and a 1000w inverter. Worked like a dream.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

If you're prepared to take the risk of a flat battery out in the middle of the bush, go for it. If not go for the dual battery system. I've heard too many vehicles start up in the middle of the day 'just to check'.
    But most fridges these days have battery protection systems built in, the ARB 40lt has 3 different options on this and I run it on the medium setting, even with the dual batteries.
    I'm surprised that the Engel doesn't have it though

I ran my 80litre Waeco on a 2 week trip to Botswana without a dual battery with no problem. I set the fridges cut out voltage to 11.5V, only cutout the fridge once during th entire holiday. No problem with the car battery at all

I suppose it really depends on how you use the fridge and how much you drive.

I you use the Fridge as a freezer, and don't drive every day, I don't think the
    battery will last.
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.2 DiD GLS (sold)
    2008 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 3.2 DiDc GLS