Camping info needed: Namibia

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rudiedj Guest

Default Camping info needed: Namibia

Hi Guys
    I want to do a two week trip through the South of Namibia.
    I have never done this, so I need plenty info.
    I hope I can tap the brains of the experienced overlanders

I am planning to go:
    CT, Noordoewer, Sesheim, Windhoek, Swakopmund, Solitaire, Sesriem, Sossus vlei, Aus, Luderitz, Ai-Ais/fishriver canyon, CT.

I am planning on camping most of the way.

Could you please advise me the best camping site at each location, Also, tell me what I should definately go see when I am at
    each spot?

Sesheim:
    Camping site:
    a must see/do: Giant's playground (keetmanshoop)

Windhoek:
    Camping site:
    a must see/do:

Swakopmund:
    Camping site:
    a must see/do:

Walvisbaai:
    Camping site:
    a must see/do:

Naukluft Park:
    Camping site: Naukluft camp
    a must see/do:

Solitaire:
    a must see/do:

Sesriem:
    Camping site:
    a must see/do: Sossus vlei

Helmeringhausen:
    a must see/do: Duwisib Castle

Aus:
    Camping site:
    a must see/do:

Luderitz:
    Camping site:
    a must see/do: Kolmanskop

Ai-Ais:
    Camping site:
    a must see/do: Resort; Fishriver Canyon (at Hobas?)

Thanks

rudiedj Guest

No one?

Hi again,

Just few suggestions - I haven't camped in many of the places you mention.

Swakopmund - No info on campsites but strongly recommend doing a Living Desert Tour. And eating at the Tug.

Walvis Bay - Again no camping info but recommend kayak trip into the bay to see seals and dolphins.

Sesriem - As you probably know the campsite inside the park is pretty poor and very expensive (N$300 per pitch and N$150 pp). There is a new one just outside the gates Sossus Oasis which is very smart (individual shelters arranged in a circle all with solar panels) and is a bit cheaper N$150 per pitch and N$150 pp. Of course the benefit of the park campsite is you get into the park a little earlier. But we found the dunes at sunset were just as beautiful and far less crowded. I have also heard nice things about Agama River camp - but this is 50km away.

Aus - Klein Aus Vista - a beautiful campsite. Ask for a pitch under a weaver bird tree 10 is the most private. Nice walks beautiful setting. desert horses watering hole 20 km away (NB don't expect them to be too wild. If you give them the chance they will stick their head through the car window!).

Luderitz - I really wouldn't camp there. Incredibly windy. I would stay an extra day at Aus and drive into Luderitz for the day (only 100km or so). To do in Luderitz - tour of Kolmanskop is a must. You could do thatat 9.30 and then drive around the peninsula stopping off for oysters en route (get a map of the route at the tourist office.

Helmeringhausen - Doesn't have much to recommend it in my view. Rather go to Koiimasis Ranch nearby - stunning campsite amongst the boulders. We went for one day and stayed for three. Lovely walks, sundowner spots, beautiful abluions - one of the best campsites in Namibia in my eyes.

Fish River/Ais Ais - Hobas isn't great in my view. Canon Roadhouse has a great campsite about 20km from the entrance. Better still see if you can wangle a stay at Horse Shoe camp on the very lip of the canyon. This is a Gondwana camp but they use it for their mule trails - it isn't advertised to the public. The man who runs Klein Aus Vista arranged for us to stay there or you could try Gondwana direct but you may have to persevere. Do not go here if you have vertigo or are travelling with children!!

Hope that helps

Itchyfeet

Never done it either, but get the weg tydskrif in the shops at the moment covering Namibie

For camping in Windhoek I would suggest Arebbusch. Joe's Beerhouse a must do! In Swakop is Sophia Base Camp (not so foggy in the morning) 12 km outside the town or Alte Brucke in town the best in my opinion. Buy your meat at Namaqua Butchery and yes, you must do the Living Desert tour. Why camp in Walvis? - rather stay in Swakop.
    In Luderitz you can camp at Shark Island but I agree - rather stay in Klein Aus and do a day trip. If you want to camp at Sesriem, have a look at the NWR website - they have a special discount for SA citizens. For the Canyons I would definitely suggest Canon Roadhouse.

sesriem, tsauchab rivercamp

rudiedj Guest

thanks for all the info. I will take that, and start my research!

OK I'm going to Nam over Christmas and we are camping at the following places:

Windhoek. Camping at Elisenheim Guest Farm @ R70 pppn.

Swakopmund. Camping at Sophia Dale @ R80 pppn. See here

Sossusvlei & Sesriem. Camping at Agama River camp about 36 km from Sesriem @ R80 pppn. NWR is way to expensive! See here

Aus. Camping at Aus. Not Klein Aus, but at Steve Prinsloo's One Stop Garage in Aus proper @ R70 pppn. From here you can reach Luderitz and Kolmanskop easily. We chose this because we will only sleep over and it looks quite nice. Aus is a quite historic place. See here for their website.

When we were in Nam last year, we overnighted in Keetmanshoop caravan park for Giants Playground and the Kokerboomwoud. Not bad, but very noisy.
    2012 Freelander 2 SD4 SE
    Offtrax Outplay

Quiver Tree Forest camp site near Keetsmanhoop
    Margaret

Sesheim:
    Camping site:
    a must see/do: Giant's playground (keetmanshoop)

Windhoek: Arrebusch, safe and secure.
    Camping site:
    a must see/do: uhm, curio shops. Depends what tickles your fancy.

Swakopmund:
    Camping site: Don't camp in Swakop, stay at municipal Bungalows, cheap and clean, book in advance.
    a must see/do:Moon landscape, welwitchia drive, quads, Living Desert tour

Walvisbaai:
    Camping site: Rather stay another night at swakop
    a must see/do:

Naukluft Park:
    Camping site: Naukluft camp, or the camp at the top of 4x4 route - 2days. Or camp at Bullsport Guest farm, excelent campsites and do the quiver tree hike
    a must see/do:

Solitaire: Why solitaire?
    a must see/do:

Sesriem:
    Camping site: Sesriem, can go into sossus earlier, and see seriem canyon.
    a must see/do: Sossus vlei, almost nicer is dead vlei.

Helmeringhausen:They have a campsite
    a must see/do: Duwisib Castle

Aus:Think Klein Aus Vista has a nice site
    Camping site:
    a must see/do:

Luderitz:
    Camping site: Rather stay 2 nights at Klein auas and do day trip to luderitz
    a must see/do: Kolmanskop

Ai-Ais:
    Camping site: They have a camp site.
    a must see/do: Resort; Fishriver Canyon (at Hobas?)
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz
    modded 02' 105 series 4.5efi (big wheeled petrol thief)

We have just returned from a 10 day trip through south Namibia, Ai Ais is a great camp, will definitely go back one day, we than camped at Klein Aus Vista, to do:- Wild horses of the Namib and a day trip to Luderitz

Another great campsite was Naukluft park rest camp, cool and peacefull with plenty animal tp see

At sossus, camp at sesriem, it is worth the extra cost

If you need additional info, mail me at [email protected]

Vince
    Vince Aslett
    2013 Pathfinder 2.5
    2011 Sprite Tourer SP
    2014 Venter Bush Baby

Smile

Hi We had a fantastic two week trip to Nam in July. Contact eh namib tourist bureau in CT, they have lots of info and a fantastic map with all the scenic routes marked on it.

From CT Noordoewer is an easy day. Camp just over the border at Abiqua. It's a lovely grassy campsite next to the river. (Apart from Elizenheim it was the only grassy campsite we found.) From there we moved via C13 to try & see Luderitz (thwarted by a wind storm) It's a stunning trip along the river. Klein Aus is lovely campsite. Forget the Garage. It may be cheap but pretty small & dull.Use it if you have to and can't get in at Kelin Aus.

Sossuss, Go magazine recommended Weltevrede, small inexpensive and sounds fantastic. Only two campsites both with private ablutions. We've booked there for next June. Don't touch the campsites near the dunes, they're overpriced and barren. If you have a chance (?time) stay at Hauchabfontein. It was THE MOST AMAZING CAMPSITE. Not just running water in the stream, but stunning deep pools. Beautiful big private campsites with lots of HOT water. It's about an hours drive from the entrance to the dunes.

Continue C13 following the border of the Namib Naukluft park to Swakop. (Forget Walvis, it's the equivalent of a west coast dorp,)windy and sandy with nothing of great interest to recommend it. Sophia Dale in Swakkop, sandy but comfy. We did a day trip into the Namib Naukluft park from Swakop,. It's an easy day & a must see

From Walvis we crossed to Windhoek via C28 again stunning route. we stayed at Elizenheim, clean, grassy and cheap, but not spectacular ablutes.

To see Fish river stay at Canon campsite very comfy large campsite with great ablution blocks. Clean and plenty of them.

From windhoek we looked in at Hardap dam. Al lI can say is you got to be Hard up if you want to stay there.we spent a night at Kokerboom campsite. That's a WOW! A kookerboom forest, you think you've seen Kokerbooms - No way. Absolutely stunning To add to the benefits the owner has half a dozen cheetah that he feed at 4ish. You get to stroke the one female.His talk is also v informative. The next day we went to the Giant's playground, but time ran out so we didn't see the fossils.

As we were reluctant to drive the Clanwilliam stretch in the dark we opted fora night at at the municipal camp site next to the dam. Very comfy and cheap.

Hope this helps
    We loved our trip

Well, these things are a matter of personal taste, but I really wouldn't put the Giant's Playground in the "must see" category, and although the quiver tree forest is interesting for a few minutes, you do see quiver trees (kokerboom) all over the area. The campsite is poor, in my view, and, as Turnjay said, there is a cage full of cheetahs.......all a bit distasteful in my eyes. I was underwhelmed by Keetsmanhoop!

Another thing that underwhelmed me was the so called "White Lady" (not white, and not obviously a lady) and Burnt Mountain. However, the rock engravings at Twyvelfontein are fantastic.........well worth the scramble around in the rocks. Don't, whatever you do, camp in the river bed there. I've seen that river go from empty dry sand to water 50 metres wide with leaping brown torrents tossing trees around like matchsticks in the space of about 20 minutes.

I'll second Naukluft too.........great spot, and it has some excellent walks.

I rather enjoy Sesriem too, for some reason. Once you get past the coachloads of tourists who generally manage only the first few yards of the canyon you can have quite a nice scramble around on the rocks in the cool.

I wouldn't miss Kolmanskop if you are nearby, either. It is unforgettable. But Walvis Bay? Why?

If you go to Fish River Canyon, then go down to Ai Ais and take a very early morning walk along the canyon bottom for a mile or two. It's brilliant, and you'll have the place to yourself.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAG View Post
    Well, these things are a matter of personal taste, but I really wouldn't put the Giant's Playground in the "must see" category, and although the quiver tree forest is interesting for a few minutes, you do see quiver trees (kokerboom) all over the area. The campsite is poor, in my view, and, as Turnjay said, there is a cage full of cheetahs.......all a bit distasteful in my eyes. I was underwhelmed by Keetsmanhoop!

Another thing that underwhelmed me was the so called "White Lady" (not white, and not obviously a lady) and Burnt Mountain. However, the rock engravings at Twyvelfontein are fantastic.........well worth the scramble around in the rocks. Don't, whatever you do, camp in the river bed there. I've seen that river go from empty dry sand to water 50 metres wide with leaping brown torrents tossing trees around like matchsticks in the space of about 20 minutes.

I'll second Naukluft too.........great spot, and it has some excellent walks.

I rather enjoy Sesriem too, for some reason. Once you get past the coachloads of tourists who generally manage only the first few yards of the canyon you can have quite a nice scramble around on the rocks in the cool.

I wouldn't miss Kolmanskop if you are nearby, either. It is unforgettable. But Walvis Bay? Why?

If you go to Fish River Canyon, then go down to Ai Ais and take a very early morning walk along the canyon bottom for a mile or two. It's brilliant, and you'll have the place to yourself.

Mike
    Mike where would you recommend in the Ai-Ais area for camping?
    Hilux Dakar & Comfort trailer
    The first 40 years of childhood are the toughest!

Randy, the Ais-Ais campsite has been renovated. I believe it is very nice now. That is inside the park.
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Default Trip in the Planning 2011

I have decided to take Swambo to Namibia as a Surprise trip for her Birthday So no telling HEY! Yes it is a big one that ends with a 0 but not saying which one

Already arranged the leave with her Boss. She wil get home and we will be packed and ready to go!

I still need some help here.
    Will check out klein Aus vista and Agama River camp
    also at FRC? Canyon roadhouse? Horseshoe Camp?

Will be a lot of driving. What else is new?

The planned itinerary will be as follows:

Namibia 2011 – 25 Feb to 5 March

25 Feb
    Jhb – Upington or thereabouts
    Any suggestions for camping other than Die Eiland?

26 Feb
    Upington to Ai-Ais Still looking / suggestions

27 Feb
    Ai-Ais to Vogelstrausskluft campground R260

28 Feb
    Vogelstrausskluft CG to Aus (Klein Aus Vista) Any idea on price?

1 March
    Aus to Sossusvlei Lodge R1500 (SWAMBO’s birthday)
    Booked, paid done deal!

2 March ?
    Sossusvlei Desert camp R800
    or
    Weltevrede guest farm R1200
    or
    Solitaire camping ground R144

HELP please?

3 March
    Desert camp /?? to Keetmanshoop Caravan park? R?
    Guest house R600
    Suggestions?

4 March
    Keetmanshoop to Upington or further same as 25 Feb?

5 March
    Upington to Jhb

hi Randy
    a couple of kitesurfers are going to namibia in dec.2010 - 4wks away! we plan:

depart pta sat 18 dec
    to barberspan (sannieshof) overnite
    to upington sun 19dec. possibly push through to ai-ais
    to luderitz 21 dec - kite as long as the wind doesn't blow us away
    to sossus +-28 dec....then walvis bay, swakopmund
    back to pta via botswana to start 17 jan.

i like to travel +-500kms per day - much better to sussout/setup camp and be chilling by sunset. however i have no desire to spend a nite in upington. barberspan is +-350km from here so i may push through to ai-ais

have fun!
    '08 Hilux 4V6 trailer/roof tent 2 single C-kayaks sb '10 12 xb '10 13 xb '11 9 kites and i love diving
    Speak your mind - those who mind, don't matter. those who matter, don't mind.....

Hi Randy,

Upington - Kalahari Monate Lodge, beautiful camping, approx 13 km from Upington on Kgalagadi road.

Klein Aus Vista / Dessert Horse Camping Site ( same place) - Wind blew us away. I recon 50kph for 2 nights, but a beautiful place and no electricity

Betesda Lodge & camping - fantastic camping site but there is a noisy windmill. relatively cheap. It's approx 38 km from Sesriem on the Maltahohe road. Very good road.

Canon Roadhouse - near the Canyon, has a 5 star campsite. It's near the Canyon but approx 80 km from Ai-Ais.

Hope you enjoy the trip. We spent 30 days and 12000 km in Nam during Aug / Sept this year, covering from the south to Damaraland. we've met friendly people there.

Anyone have contact info for Ai-Ais campsite?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast