Bush shower - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Bush shower

Default Bush shower

Hi Dave

No you are not missing the point

actually I use your system !! Photos first message above

1) a stainless steel bucket from the swiss army bought for 10 CHF at a swiss military surplus (I have a small with 17 liters and a big with 25 liters). the bucket was originally used to heat the food of the soldiers in the field and comes with a big insulated case that keep the stuff warm when it is closed

2) a powerful gas stove with 3 gas rings that heats the bucket really fast, the stove can also serve for my food

3) a 12 v pump.

now, the last time I went out with my friends, everything was ready !!!

and then suddenly the new pump failed , (second time use) !!

I had promised a good shower and everybody was laughing and I was so frustrated that I started to look around the world if I could find the ultimate safe and always functioning device.

I am also technically interested to see what can be done,

but you are right, the simplest is your system or the solar bag when sunshine is available, just when the pump fails it is really annoying !!!!!!! so next time I will also take along a canvas bucket with shower head underneath , in case !!
    Last edited by Antoine Doinel; 2010/09/30 at 08:51 PM.

I have been using the Kariba bottle babe now for some time. It works like a dream and it boils a kettle of water in no time at all. And I carry a spare pump!

I agree with Dave.
    The 12V shower and the galvanised bucket(50Pula) works perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Faddel View Post
    Maybe I am missing a point here. Why all the complicated devices which to me look like they belong on the space shuttle.
    Going on holiday is something you do because you like it - there are no set rules for it. We do it because we want to relax. So if you want to pack your tumble drier and ice maker, and that is the creature comfort that makes your holiday better - why not? It is your holiday after all. At this stage I carry a actual single bed mattress that takes up half of the rear seat, and a 25l gas geyser which takes up the other half. Just because I like it, and don't like the idea of a 25l bucket on the fire. It makes my holiday nicer for me.

Uys
    Last edited by Uys; 2010/10/05 at 07:01 AM.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Default Bush shower

After trying various of the 4x4 type showers, I found them to be expensive and not very effective. the main problem was that I could never get enough pressure to rinse shampoo out, so ended up having to rinse in cold water because as you increase the water flow the water temp drops. In the Karroo in winter this is not fun. my solution was to bye a low pressure gas geyser, for household use,costing just a little less than R1000, then mounting a bracket on my van to hook it on, then used quick couple hose pipes for the plumbing. I use a 150w submersible fountain pump through a 500w inverter. After spending 10 days in Fauresmith in July, the only mod I made was to put a valve into the cold water input to the geyser via hose pipes into the shower tent so that pressure and on off controls happens within the shower tent. The geyser has auto ignite and various other safety features. It takes about 15 min to slap up, and there is hot water on demand, no fires or waiting for water to heat up first. We used it for heating the horses grooming and drinking water as well as showering during the 200km Fauresmith endurance ride and it has been a dream. The only limitation is how big your water container is and of course that you have enough gas. The whole system cost about R2000 including shower tent, pump, hoses, geyser, and water drum.( I use a 100l drum as there is normally water on tap at the horse endurance rides.) The whole system packs into my water drum and is not heavy at all.

Best bush shower I ever had was a galvanised bucket with a tap fitted to the bottom.

1) Heat the water in another galvanised bucket over the fire.
    2) Pour warm water into the 25L bucket
    3) Open tap and hoist up nearest tree.
    4) Enjoy traditional bush shower with the sounds of the bush all around you.

Warning, you may want to do this inside a shower tent as it may frighten the neighbour’s small children. If you are alone though there is nothing like a shower in the open.
    Godzilla - 1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    Monty - 1972 Series 3 LWB (moved on)

"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

Default Bush shower

Why spend money on expensive gadgets. Me my husband, sister and brother in law travel far and wide. We had to sleep in the bush many times. My arrangement with my husband was, if you want me to travel with you, I need a good sleep and a warm shower every night. He looked at all the items that were available in stores but nothing he was happy with. He then decided to take a Blue jerry can (water) and a shower head with a small pump working from the car battery that slides into the head of the jerry can. We have a small foldup cubical that we open next to the bakkie. When you travel during the day, the water in the can gets hot and you can shower immediately after you have stopped at where ever you camping. If it is not a hot summer’s day, you put the jerry can next to the fire with the top open and wait until it is hot. We are 4 big people and we shower with one jerry can and some still wash hair, long hair. I would suggest doing the same, until you have found something that you can build or buy that is to your satisfaction.

Default Bush Shower

At Campworld they sell a nice gas shower with a 25L container it work like a proper shower you can set the showerhead to diferent settings. And it is really not that exspensive it comes in a bag so it does not use a lot of space We got one from the pretoria branch

With our Kaoko Trip in June we (8 people) used the "Jerrycan at the fire, cubicle and 12V shower" method as explained by Linda Eilers. It worked very well. I would however suggest to take a spare 12V shower kit as they are not robust enough for 8 showers per day over 10 days.
    Benhollie
    2011 Jeep Cherokee Sport 3.7
    2010 Toyota Prado 4.0 VX
    2004 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 SE
    NO Platkar -
    2005 Toyota Prado 4.0 VX - Sold
    2001 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 XJ - Sold
    1992 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 XJ 5Sp LHD - Sold

The Kariba is the ultimate!

The burner puts out 38000 BTU's and uses 95% of it effective acording to me.
    No hot exaust going to waste. Heats 2.6L/min to 70 deg if used with the supplied 12V submersible pump. 70 deg is way to hot for a shower. 5-6 lit/min will heat to 55 deg. This unit can be used for big groups of 12-15. Can also be used as a stove. Have owned copper coil systems and they restrict the 12V submersible pump too much. There is a balance between pipe length and diameter that cannot be perfected. The Kariba unit uses a radiator which is heated, and therefore is so effective, it does not restrict water flow. More expensive than the others, but if you have to keep the wife happy, this is the only way.

If the unit is on you can hold your hand above it, it does not get hot. All the heat is absorbed into the water.
    http://www.karibaproducts.co.za
    Last edited by Daniel.Senekal; 2010/10/04 at 10:43 AM.

If you have and uneffective bush shower, circulate the water through the shower and bucket until the desired temp is reached. Then you can get very hot water without restricting the flow at all. Takes 20min... or buy a Kariba!

Hi there

I use the same geyser system as Trailer trash, witch I hang from the trailor. The 12v pump does not supply the flow I would like and I'l hijack TT's idea of a fountain pump through an inverter.

If I read your post corectly, you have a gripe with the pump packing up and for what it is worth, here is my 2c worth.

For years, before I wanted to be fancy with a geyser, I used to camp with a 20l cylindrical plastic oil can(cleaned). you can also use the blue plastic water Jerrycan or simmelar container with round filler hole. this is enough water for a shower and you can even start where "possable".

Have the correct temp water in the plastic can: Heat the water over a open fire, over the coals, under the bonnet, next to fire, with electrisity or with battery, in the sun or in your sleeping bag in your fire bucket, army bucket, toer toer, kettle, pot, coil or what have you. there is 10000 other ways to heat water I am sure and let everyone use his beloved method. Pour the hot water in the plastic drum and mix with cold water(prefferably pour hot into cold) until the one who has to shower is happy, Everybody does not shower in the same temp. You now have your premix swower water supply ready. The reason that I premix is one - everyone is happy about his water temp before getting in the shower and if a child says he is happy, he will never moan when showering and secondly - I do not like the fluctuation in temperature when the wind blows the burner or the flow changes ect. (the downside is that if you test the water and said it is OK and it is not, you have to live with it, no adjustments can be made)

To get the water out leaves you with a few options. I will try and work from best case scinario to worst and maybe it will help. Firstly, the one I used to use is the 12v waterpump coupled to the shower head where you drop the pump in the drums filler hole and switch the 12v supply on. If the supply or the pump, like in your case fails, you have the following options: take the pump off the pipe or leave it on and put your compressor pipe in the filler opening with the shower pipe and jam arag or black plastic bag in the opening. You will need about 0,2 bar to have the water push out the shower head, of course you will need a partner to keep pressure on the rag and switch the compressor on and off. you also get a gadget, I think I bought at outdoors, that you put in the round hole, turn a fastening screw and it has a pipe hanging in the water and a tap, Gardena style on the outside, with a handpump witch someone has to pump and the water will come out the showerhead. You can also buy a marine 20l petrol tank and with a regulator on the compressor and the nice quick coupler fittings on the fuel tank, you should be able to build a system that does not have a pump but a compressor.Flow could be a bit min though.

If that fails, you can lift the drum to anyplace (roofrack, tree, on your head) higher than the shower and syphen the water. if that fails, you can fill the -black solar bag or bucket and showerhead - with the premix and hoist into the tree. If that fails, let someone just pick up the can and pour over you. If that fails, the bakkies winch can lift 20l water through a snatchblock, If that fails, take a skottel.

Just for interest sake, when we camped at Western Breaze 4x4 bush camp, there was only a donkie for hot water(I like it!) but I could not get into the shower . So instead of taking out the gadgets, the wife unscrewed the showerhead fitted Gardena and the hosepipe with spray nozle and I showered 15m away next to the tent in the bush and I loved it. that was a shower I will never forget, you see nobody else is allowed at your campsite and the privacy gave me the opportunity to shower Addam style inthe bush, wonderlekker.

Seriously, if you do not want to go the electrical way, it leaves the mechanical way but I think premix is best.
    Last edited by cfmans; 2010/10/04 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Seems people dont understand bedwas
    Chris Mans
    2007 Touareg 3.0 TDI
    2012 CanAm Commander 1000
    2014 Polaris Touring

a bucket with a shower head and a tap underneath. Hang it in a tree, shower happily. Heat water on a fire and just pour it and enough cpld water.

simple easy - cant BREAK...............

well there are 2 types of debates here, the simple solution and the more advanced may be complicated one
    it is true that the simple way will do
    but don' forget if we would not strive to new ideas and perfection, we would still eat mamouth around a fire and make honk honk,
    so it is legitimate to try to find something new and so that is why we don't move in horse carriages anymore but in 4x4
    I have to admit that I look for the toy, the pleasure of new inventions but also use the simple way sometimes. but for example for my wife, she just says, why don't you go to the next hotel, there are some every few miles here.
    So, I think we have more or less exhausted the subject
    Really ?, well no , may be one of you has some experience with a heat exchanger coupled to the engine cooling system ? would that not be nice to have ? see pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vehicle Mounted Hot Water Heat Exchanger.jpeg 
Views:	337 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	72662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hot Water Shower System.jpeg 
Views:	315 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	72663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JPEG - 62.jpeg 
Views:	200 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	72664  
    Last edited by Antoine Doinel; 2010/10/04 at 06:42 PM.

Default Bush shower

Now, when I go camping / touring / traveling, there are certain things I leave behind, like,

1. TV - ....
    2. HiFi – the car radio just does fine
    3. Kenwood ….
    4. Wahl – I have better things to do than having a haircut by Swambo
    …. etc. etc. etc.

– reason is that space and time is limited, also there are some things that one can ‘sacrifice’ for a week or two.

The precious shower …. we had this little fred a while ago .. :

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...portant+shower
    Johan Mitchell, .... r.i.v. Swambo Marthie

My beste kennis is dié oor my eie onkunde

'96 Colt DC V8 ... Safari Camper ... '88 Fleetline L
    '88 Ballade 150 ... sold
    "The rule here is that there is no rule" .. MikeAG

Aussies have the same issues with the requirement for hot showers!
    Like some of the other posters on this thread, I am accompanied by my wife, if she can have a HOT shower.....
    I tried bucket showers, black bags etc, wanted a system independent from the vehicle cooling system, so went for an instantaneous gas heater.
    http://www.ausj.com.au/InstantGas.htm
    I now get them for local club members at about A$220 I think.
    Have installed mine on the outside of my camper, and with a few taps and t pieces, can draw water from river or onboard tank. I'll try and get some photos so it all makes more sense. Works a dream, and now we have hot water at the sink too!
    Only problem... we now use much more water, so need to consider refilling tanks etc if showering with onboard water (if trip is for multiple days) rather than the local river or creek.
    Michael T
    Aussie '88 Range Rover Tdi300 & Auto

Default Bush Shower

Antoine, you said you were worried about the reliability of your original system. The pump can be replaced with a 12 volt bilge pump, they are extremely reliable ( made in Germany), small enough to fit in most jerry cans, cheap( R180.00) and in SA available from any yachting/marine shop. I have used mine for 7 years( price is updated) and will most likely it will run forever. My only gripe is that in winter it takes too long to heat enough water on the gas for both of us . I am in the process of fitting a heat exchanger system which after testing many types above is the most compact and most effective for me. It is made with highquality components and I have no worries connecting it to my vehicle heating system. One will have to run the engine in the morning to heat the water. See www.glind.com.au. Good luck in your choice !

Default Bush shower

Hi Paul
    yes the pump is the weak part of the chain, since I am close to Germany , I will try to find the pump you mention. Do you have a name/brand ?
    actually I was also thinking about the pump the sell on the www.glind.com.au
    http://www.glind.com.au/index.php/Ac...-Pump-Kit.html
    About the heat exchanger like the glind, I have a question related to what you mentioned, ie use in winter.
    actually whilst I would not use it in winter because here it is just too cold to go outside camping (with pleasure, for me season is between mai and maximum october) I would have the remaining strong problem we have here in winter, i.e frost. And there I was wondering if it is possible to empty the exchanger enough (and the pump) .
    For half of the exchanger it is not a problem, that part contains the car coolant which contains antifrost. But the other half is full of normal water and I don't think they have foreseen a purge. It would not be an option the take the whole thing of the engine every winter. Is frost for you also something to think about ? here in winter we have for weeks up to minus 15 and even more , December to March brrrrrr.

I have thought also about another system but wil put that on a later post in order to not complicate too much the discussion.

Paul If you find any name for the bilge pump thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Bush Shower

Antoine, I have been away for the last 2 days, just seen your post. I will look up the name on the pump and post it. The glind system does come with it's own pump though. We certainly don't have a problem with freezing in most areas down here, but I think( can only check when mine is installed ) it will be a simple matter to blow the water out of the exchanger to clear it prior to using the vehicle in sub zero temps. I consider it cold when our Durban winter gets to 16 deg !!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast