Mosambique - 1st Time

Default Mosambique - 1st Time

Hi All,

We are planning a trip to Mozambique in December. We have done the Chobe, Savuti and Moremi 3 times and the kids and my wife are keen to go and have finally won the debate…

So I need some advice; we will be travelling in a Defender V8 from Somerset West and I have about 18 days and “nowhere” to go… We are geared for camping and we are completely self-sustainable. We like the routes that are not travelled a lot. I would like to include Kruger and Gonarezhou and then to the East and travel down along the coast towards Durban. Is this possible? Will I be able to get over the Limpopo that time of the year?

Any route suggestions from Somerset West and back?

I have many questions more, but I reckon this is a good starting point…

Regards
    Jean

Best Regards
    JeanV
    LC76

Hi Jean
    Travelling through the Pafuri border up in the north might be impossible due to waterlevels of the Limpopo in the summer months. We did the route through Giriyondo this year June. If you use Phalaborwa as a starting point it takes a day to cross into Moz and reach the campsite at the Massingir dam. From there it's another day to reach the coast at Xai-Xai. From here you can go north or south. We stayd near Xai-Xai for two nights and then travelled north to Pomene where we camped for a week. If you can find space at Pomene I would seriously recommend it, however Moz has many beautiful camping spots.

It is possible to travel south through Maputo and then continue on towards Ponta du Oura however I have not done this. You will then exit Moz at the Kosibay border post and continue south towards Durban and beyond.

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

We've done a trip in Sept 2010.
    Kruger through Giriyondo directly to Xai-Xai is easily do-able in a day - even if you get through Giriyondo at 10:00 - but the earlier, the better.

In Xai-Xai area, also search for sites at Chidenguele & Chizavane - both Sunset Beach Lodge and Zona Braza is very nice.

We then went up to Inhambane area - there's a lot of nice places & the little restaurants in the area is very nice - you'll find quite a few places on the net.

Then Pomene is a must.

Don't stay at Vilancolus itself - too dirty, unfriendly people (very different from teh smiley faces in the rest of Moz), but do take a dhow over to the islands - well worth it - full day in the sun.

Then we went up to Inhassoro - unspoilt.

We did all of these trips in about 6 - 8 hours.

We have done Maputo (Catembe side) to Ponta do Oura before (but we did it in the opposite direction - it's only something like 80km if I remember correctly - this was about 5 years ago - but we needed a FULL day for the trip...the road is very bumpy and at stages you have to pull trees out of the road - cause you're going through an elephant route - but I'll still rather do that & have the experience than to do it through SA.

Any place north of Xai-Xai is beautifull - take the time & spend more time up north...enjoy!

If you are looking for accommodation close to Xai-Xai you can consider Zongoene Lodge. They have nice campsites also with a restaurant. Next to the Limpopo River mouth.
    *** ADMIN REMOVED ***

have just returned from moz trip via Giriyondo down to coast. Can recommend Zavora Lodge camping sites. Zavora is north of Xai Xai, passed Chidenguele, 10km passed Inharrime. Basic and simple, cheap, very much a wilderness area. 3 camp sites. Baraccas with power points - generator runs 11hr a day. We stayed on top of dune with the most magnificent view over the beach. had campsite to ourselves. Good restaurant. Amazing diving and fishing spot.
    1999 Isuzu Trooper - The Truck
    2002 Landcruiser 105 - The Grey Nomad

Definitely go to Barra(40km North of Inhambane)! (or north) The white beach and calm water is worth it. There are two campsites at Barra, the one is known as the lighthouse campsite and the other the 4x4 campsite. I normally stay in a private lodge there (as it is cheap) so not sure about facilities.

Barra may however be very busy during this time!

I stayed at Xai-Xai and it really did not impress me at all! Went further south to Maputo and took the fairy to Catembe. We drove south from Catembe through Swaziland. I would recommend this, the gravel roads are not that bad. Also No arrogant officials at the borders!
    Recommend you spend a day or 2 in Swaziland.
    Hennie
    Ford Ranger Wildtrak 4x4
    Disclaimer: The views expressed by me in the above thread and replies are based on my personal experience and perceptions, which may be subjected to change from time to time.
    ORRA Call Sign B165

Yes all of these places are fantastic. I have been to a couple of them. Remember to get the compulsory 3rd party insurance.

Another trick that I have learnt is to make colour photocopies of all your vehicle documents and then handing that to the officer that pulls you off.

I had it before that they just dissapear with my documents. If they do that and does not want to give it back then just drive away, if they dont have AK's.

Another thing when you get pulled over is to take photos of the cops, they really dont like them especially when they want a bribe.

Another thing when you get pulled over is to take photos of the cops, they really dont like them especially when they want a bribe.
    also only do this if they don't have AK's!
    Toyota Prado 4.0l Petrol
    OME Suspension
    B'rakhah Ingonyama Offroad Camper

Previously2002 Disco TD5

Check out this website:
    http://www.africabushanddive.co.za/

Perhaps they can help with accommodation...
    Hennie
    Ford Ranger Wildtrak 4x4
    Disclaimer: The views expressed by me in the above thread and replies are based on my personal experience and perceptions, which may be subjected to change from time to time.
    ORRA Call Sign B165