Maputo Elephant Park Mozambique

Default Maputo Elephant Park Mozambique

I am going there in Nov 2010.
    Anyone been there and if so any tips where to camp and what is the game like?

Am in a 4x4 Landy diesel with all the kit for deep sand etc

Many thanks

Colin

Hi, been there on a daytrip from Ponta.

I really like it. Def need 4x4.

Nothing there. Even in Santa Maria there is nothing except a lodge we saw while we were there. Would really be a bonus if you have a boat there to goto Inhaca.

Have you contacted the lodge there? Might have the number somewhere but wull have to look.

Almost forgot. Apparently there is quite allot of Elephants but all we saw was tracks.

Default Maputo Elephant Park and Inhaca

Dear The Wall,

Thanks for the reply. Was hoping to see Elephants.
    Used to camp fish and snorkel on Inhaca and at the south point with my farther in the 1950's when I was a boy and there was nothing there and got there by a local sailing boat and later with our own ski boat.There was nothing there at the south and only a small store at the 'capital' Great memories and times.
    Colin

Hi Colin

The Maputo Elephant Reserve is truly a piece of paradise, we have been there a couple times and have always comaped just down from Milibangalala, in case you didnt know Milibangalala is a small camp in the beach dunes on the coats. We go south for about 5km and camp next to a small lake about 20m from the sea. Where we camp their is NOTHING so EVERYTHING you might need you must take with as you are truly isolated on your own (think cast-away on island) the lake isnt safe to use as there are crocodiles in it so be carefull. There is no cellphone reception so have medical supplies for emergencies as it takes over 2 hours just to get back to the main entrance to the reserve. In the rainy season it is not advisable to go in one vehicle because if you get stranded you could wait for long time for any help to arrive.

There is not much game to speak of, we have only seen Elephant in the distance and perhaps the odd monkey or buck thats all, but the scenery is amazing with lush bush & dunes for as far as you can see.

Just be prepared for everything and you will have a great time.

2004 DISCO TD5 GS AUTO

Hi Colin,

This thread may be of interest to you: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=42105
    '02 Toyota Prado 3.4 V6 - Ingalube
    '03 Toyota Prado 4.0 V6 - Inkhombe
    '02 Pajero 3.2 DiD - MIA
    '02 Isuzu KB 280 4x4 - SOLD
    '99 Toyota 2.7 Raider - SOLD
    '96 Land Rover Defender TDi Hardtop - SOLD

Dear RandyTD5 and emilevdh,

That is hugely helpful. In the central kalahari earlier this year so love the isolation.
    Anymore tips from anyone else most welcome.
    Colin

I'll add a little too Colin .

Mili is a great camp . My favourite !

There is NO toilet , take a small spade . Check for spiders .

There are NO showers , you draw brackish water from the well in the camp , gillie's will assist . Take a few buckets with lids , to transport your water to camp .

Take drinking water . You could prob drink the well water , even after treating the well water was not great .

There is low cell signal on the hill behind the camp , you'll see the tracks , good enough for an sms , get a vodacom mozambique sim .

Take a drive to Dobela 20 minutes , hike up the big dune for sunset ( dont miss this ) .

Ive driven around there in my 4x2 and was fine .

The game scouts will tell you where the ellies are , there are some agro one's in the herds , just be cautious .

Enjoy , have fun , post pics !

Many thanks PGJ.
    Great that so many people are helpful.

Colin

I will be there also in Nov. The place is big dont want to see you every day.

Bertus,
    I do hope we 'bump'into you.
    We will be in LWB Landy with a CEM number plate.
    G and T with ice and lemon

Colin

Default Milibangalala in January 2011

Hi

I will be going to Milibangalala 4th Jan 2011 and would like to get as much advice as possible in terms of route to travel (waypoints), and any other tips.

Thanks a mil
    Allan
    Last edited by Allan1111111111; 2010/11/15 at 12:00 PM. Reason: add more stff

I will be going through at Kosi

Hi Alan,

iirc the coords are at the beginning of this thread.

Directions In general:

At Kosi Border
    Take sand tracks towards Ponta
    Most tracks converge at a yellow MCel building, where you will see a threeway fork
    Straight will take you to Ponta, Left will lead you in the direction of Maputo parallel to the coast.

You will see many sand tracks, but just follow the electricity poles.

This is the main road to Maputo, which cuts accross the Reserve, the main entrance to the reserve is very well sign-posted. Just before the main road enters the reserve, you will see a signboard to the Souther gate which is manned and slightly quicker to Mili.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Btw, we got horribly lost the first time we went there, broke down and wild camped in the reserve for a night... was great!
    '02 Toyota Prado 3.4 V6 - Ingalube
    '03 Toyota Prado 4.0 V6 - Inkhombe
    '02 Pajero 3.2 DiD - MIA
    '02 Isuzu KB 280 4x4 - SOLD
    '99 Toyota 2.7 Raider - SOLD
    '96 Land Rover Defender TDi Hardtop - SOLD

Hi Alan, Just back from there. From Kosi border head for Salamanga - main road but sand or gravel then take a right to Gala Gate which is the southern gate and this will skirt around Lake Piti which is on your east side and at the top of which head NNE to Milli. We bush camped and and then at Milli . The camp site is littered with debris left by campers which was very displeasing. Great beach but watch our for blue bottles. Send me your e-mail and can send you a map sent to me by bertus my e-mail is [email protected] Colin

[QUOTE=Colin Brown;622076] From Kosi border head for Salamanga[/QUOTE

Just to elaborate , as you leave the last border gate , turn left immediately , past the old yellow dozer , then turn right . This is the road to sala/maputo .

Personally i wouldn't try the route without a gps and t4a . Enjoy

Here is some coordinates:

Mcel House
    S26 50.470 E32 51.576

And then every now and then i took a coordinate on the way there...
    S26 44.988 E32 49.223
    S26 37.327 E32 45.813
    S26 31.797 E32 43.240
    S26 30.829 E32 43.021
    S26 29.568 E32 45.935
    S26 30.409 E32 48.838
    S26 26.684 E32 51.456
    S26 24.618 E32 52.583
    S26 24.236 E32 52.781
    S26 20.299 E32 53.994
    S26 18.730 E32 53.878
    S26 15.426 E32 52.806
    S26 14.882 E32 52.540
    S26 13.004 E32 53.103
    S26 06.397 E32 55.555

Hope this helps, im not sure if there is a different way but this one worked for us.
    Last edited by TheWall; 2010/11/15 at 06:09 PM.

The turnoff from the Road to Maputo (On Mapsourse road 201) i think you can easily miss...

It's on a turn. We were not sure if we were right... Just after you take this road there is a place where you need to pay to gain entrance to the park... It is a small road.

Prof Collin I am also back. Missed my G and T with you, as precaution took my own. I hope the weather treated you well. I slipped in between the rains. Wiil contact you when back at work. Once setteled my 20 days were pleasant. Guys we have all little maps which helps, but the ulitmate is a T4A map you drive straight there. Only condition turn to lake Piti at the old shop and follow the track closes to the water(there are two tracks both fine but where they exit makes the difference. This track is not on T4A currently but trust me the one closeds to the water exit straight the other one go through the dunes guaranteed u will get stuck.)My neighbours used a Garmin map set, a 3 hour drive ended in a 10 hours nightmare, not nice. The Ellies were in my camp about two weeks before, much evedence left! Send me your email addres for more info.

Dear Bertus,
    Glad to hear you are back safely. Thanks for all the tips which made it easier to get to Milli also using T4A maps. With info that N2 after Piet Reteif had lots of road work delays and a chap on my flight out also saying the way via Komatipoort border was quicker that is what we did from JHB aiport. The border much changed from when I went as a boy fishing to Inhaca with my father in the 50's!!! A corrupt scam from people under the eyes of the immigration team 'helping' you through for R200 - I gave the two of them R30 which initially they didn't want. Then someone asked to see my money to make sure it was't fake!!!!! Can you believe this. Said 'I got it from the bank thank you very much for your help' and quickly got into the Landy with my chum and got going. Via Bela Vista and Salamanga into the Park. As we were running late and knew we couldn't get to Milli by night fall we bush camped on the edge of one of the pans and had a super evening and night. Saw no-one except for one bakkie trailing a huge fishing boat with two large outboards charging over a koppie -the owner of the Santa Maria lodge on the way to Vilancolous on a fishing trip! Milli beach was lovely - see above for my comments. Walker Bay near Stanford in the Western Cape - where we have a farm in the Conservancy is as good so weerr are spoilt for this type of emptiness with no one to see for 17 km.
    Saw old dung k, some buck, two fish eagles and a saddle billed stork. Went out at Kosi Bay and onto Tembe which was just fantastic, lots of elephnats with the longest tusks in Africa, lion, rhino, lots of nyala,other buck and rare suni, giraffe etc all in 24 hours. Great water hole hides. To be recommended as a game park with very few people but no camping allowed but we persuaded the lady at the office to let us stay and allowed us to use the ablutions which was great and had our braai , gin and tonic and d2 bottles of merlot with nyala browsing 10 metres away. Get me on [email protected]