Subaru Forester after sales service costs

Question Subaru Forester after sales service costs

Hi guys, this is my first time posting to this forum, but I have been reading here for a while.

I am considering buying a second hand Subaru Forrester or Outlander and was wondering if anyone had any experience of what these vehicles cost to service and maintain? Also any issues I should be aware of?

Kind regards

Malcs

I only have experience with 2 new vehicles, XT Foz and spanking new Outback. I have heard stories of expensive 100k's services but show me a car outside of a maintenance plan with a cheap service. So I think it's just sour grapes.

There used to be a JD Power (?) index on cost of spares and service and rating of the various cars. Google it, last saw it on Moneyweb.

Or go to a dealer and ask the honest questions. I deal with Pedro at Bruma sales, or MArio on the service. Great guys. Or speak to Gary Berndt the DP.
    Groete
    Carl

50,000 kms R3,800
    62,500 kms +- R2,000
    The last one is expensive because if you check the book it is basically an oil change and new oil filter, but they say that it is the "extensive" checks that are done that increases the labour costs.
    Still very happy with my Forester so far, done Sani, Kosi Mouth and other muddy roads with no problems.
    Also have not had one problem in the 62,000kms
    Also dreading the 100,000 km service

Cheers
    Rob

Had a quote on the 100k service on mine.. It was around R8000, clutch gets a check, timing belt, two timing pulleys, oil, filters (including micron filter for aircon), brake pads (if not replaced already), gearbox oil, diff oil (all three), etc..

So they aren't exactly doing nothing on the service.. A lot of the money is time spent as replacing the timing belt is easier with the motor out and if the motor stays the radiator and cooling system has to be taken out.. My brother had his quoted at an independent service centre and will be saving about R1500 if not taken to Subaru.. It is your choice, I have my Subaru serviced by Subaru but do the 20 year old Hilux myself.. depends on what you are comfortable with..

1990 Toyota Hilux - In process..
    The more people I meet the more I like my dog..
    Real 4x4's have splash guards, not sump guards..

Quote Originally Posted by Willied View Post
    Had a quote on the 100k service on mine.. It was around R8000, clutch gets a check, timing belt, two timing pulleys, oil, filters (including micron filter for aircon), brake pads (if not replaced already), gearbox oil, diff oil (all three), etc..
    So they aren't exactly doing nothing on the service.. A lot of the money is time spent as replacing the timing belt is easier with the motor out and if the motor stays the radiator and cooling system has to be taken out.. My brother had his quoted at an independent service centre and will be saving about R1500 if not taken to Subaru.. It is your choice, I have my Subaru serviced by Subaru but do the 20 year old Hilux myself.. depends on what you are comfortable with..
    That sounds better than the rumoured R13000
    Cheers
    Rob

Caranx, I have bad news for you if you have an XT.. turbo models are somewhat more expensive I hear..

Thanks so much guys, this has helped a lot. I think that this is the way to go. Any thoughts re Forester vs Outlander?

Malcs, here I cannot assist you.. I am a Forester fan.. Will pick it everytime..

Best to read through the reviews on the WEB there is one comparing the Outlander to the Outback. But a lot boils down to once a Scooby fan always a fan. One thing I can assure you - the Outlander does not have the brute of the XT.
    Groete
    Carl

Thanks Carl and Willied, appreciate the advice. I guess it depends on the individual vehicle.

Malcs, very true.. the only drawback to a Scooby is consumption.. my personal best on a NA was 8l/100km and on the XT my brother's (lead foot) best was 12l/100km.. If you are looking at a new model talk to your local dealer and see when and if the Diesel will be available in your model/price range..

got a quote from Subaru Bryanston for the 100k service, R13,000. This is on my 2006 XS. There is a guy in Edenvale that says he will do it for about R9,000. Obviously my opinion on the Outlander vs. Forester is the Scooby

PS - due to price of next service I now drive the wife's Jazz during the week to keep the km on the Scooby down.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

LOL @ Gerbek.. same here, but my choice is a Hilux..

Quote Originally Posted by Willied View Post
    Caranx, I have bad news for you if you have an XT.. turbo models are somewhat more expensive I hear..
    No XT just the straight X for me and these are the actual costs of services. I know the turbos are a different story.
    Anyway I still love my Forester

Cheers
    Rob

Whatever the cost, the joy of owning and driving a Subaru is priceless!
    1967 Wolseley 6/110
    2011 Forester Diesel

I bought my 2003 Forester 2.5 Xec (leather seats, sunroof) secondhand, with 117 000 kms on the clock. She now has 250 000 kms on the clock, and still going strong.

The 200 000 km service turned out to be just below R10 000.00. Only problems I had was one rear self-leveling shock going, and the centre diff also packing up.

I can honestly recommend Mario at Subaru Bruma. Always good service, customer is king.

I agree with PaulO Classic. The Subaru is very much fun. Did Sani pass, hundreds of dirt roads, and even the Serendipity Trail (Naboomspruit, no vehicle modifications).
    Jaco Marais

1 x Loving wife, 2 x Loving children, 1 x fo-by-fo

Brilliant cars, very reliable (as long as they've not been 'ge-tuned'). As for the aftersales service, I don't think that this is good news - http://www.wheels24.co.za/News/Indus...oyota-20100903

F$&*@K!!!

So we will have more shops and less service!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
    Brilliant cars, very reliable (as long as they've not been 'ge-tuned'). As for the aftersales service, I don't think that this is good news - http://www.wheels24.co.za/News/Indus...oyota-20100903

Just read that article very carefully as I am going for an interview with Subaru on Monday, and i really don't think much will change at all. The Toyota they are talking about is NOT Toyota SA.
    1967 Wolseley 6/110
    2011 Forester Diesel

Paul, good luck on your interview.. I just wonder how Subaru SA fits into this as they just bought the branch in Bloem and will be running it themselves..

Ps. At an opening last week Friday they showed us the new STi.. sexy machine!!