Giriyondo Border Post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Giriyondo Border Post

Hello All,

I was just wondering whether anybody has recently made use of the Giriyondo border post between SA and Moz in the Kruger?

I wnat to come back through that gate but i dont know what the times are that it is operational and whether it is operational at all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adv950 View Post
    Hello All,
    I was just wondering whether anybody has recently made use of the Giriyondo border post between SA and Moz in the Kruger?
    I wnat to come back through that gate but i dont know what the times are that it is operational and whether it is operational at all.
    Thanks
    It is very definitely operational and highly efficient and fast. I'm not sure of the exact opening hours, but I think it is 8am to 3pm April to September and 8am to 4pm October to March.

thank you very much tony

Hi. I used this border crossing on August 24th from SA to Moz. Absolutely no issues. Took 30 mins.

One thing to note is that when we got to Massingir gate, the person selling 3rd party insurance was not there. Apparantly, this is not unusual.

Consequently, we were not able to purchase our insurance until we reached Inhambane. We bought it at the Emose office. Worth noting this if you are planning to use this crossing. Emose offices are in major towns. Worth checking out where they are just in case you need them.

Hi G_Coope ,
    Do you know what the road looks like?
    I am planning to drive from Giriyondo to Massingir in a 4x2 with high clearance " mazda BT 50". will I have troubles doinmg it?

Regards'
    Anro

No you will manage without problem in that vehicle - road will be no problem for you.
    Skim
    aka Jimmie Louw
    Land Rover Drivers don't suffer from insanity - They enjoy every minute of it!

Defender 110 TDi - Dual Bat system & Drawers, long range tank, 29&VHF radio
    Toy D4D -VHF Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Arend View Post
    Hi G_Coope ,
    Do you know what the road looks like?
    I am planning to drive from Giriyondo to Massingir in a 4x2 with high clearance " mazda BT 50". will I have troubles doinmg it?
    Regards'
    Anro
    If it is dry, no problem, but if it rains, there are sections of that road that will turn into very sticky mud.

Ok, but the rest of the road to Xai Xai, is that also a problem if it rains?

No the rest of the road........BEWARE OF POTHOLES!!!! Very bad up to Chokwe!
    "If it ain't broken - Modify it"
    -------------------------------------
    Ben
    '99 Jeep Wrangler; 4" Procom Lift kit; 4.7Lt Mopar conversion; 33"x12.5x15" MT Baja Claws (Mine); '11 Prado 4.0Lt VX Petrol (Ours); '08 MB SLK 200 Coupe (SWAMBO's); '08 Conqueror Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Benphala View Post
    No the rest of the road........BEWARE OF POTHOLES!!!! Very bad up to Chokwe!
    Massingir to Chokwe is tar, plenty of potholes, but easily avoidable if you keep your speed down. I can't help with the road to Xai Xai as we turned off at Chokwe to head for Manjacaze and Chidenguele. If you take that route, then it is tar to the Manjacaze turnoff and Manzacaze to the EN1 at Chidenguele is thick sand. We passed a couple of local bakkies and taxis on that stretch, but they were donnering through at very high speed to keep their momentum up - I wouldn't like to do the sand section without diff lock at least.

I am on my way to Inhambane.Would you say that going from Chokwe to Chibuto to Manjacaze and then to the N1 is faster than via Xai Xai?
    If Giriyondo border opens at 8h00 and I am traveling the fastest route, what time should I arrive at Inhambane?

Hi, we have just returned from Moz and took the manjacase dirt route down, and the XaiXai route back; the latter is way better as it is practically tar all the way. The dirt route down was "fun" in an adventure sort of way as some of the road is in the process of being resurfaced, and we nearly got lost trying to find the turnoff to the EN1 when we were in manjacase!

We were through Giriyondo by 8.30am and got to Ponta Zavora at 4.30pm, which is 10km passed Chidenguela. If you stay on the Xai Xai road I reckon you'd be at Inhambane by 5.30pm. We are careful drivers, did not exceed the speed limit and were always careful to reduce speed in the villages. Our only stops were fuel and a leg stretch.
    1999 Isuzu Trooper - The Truck
    2002 Landcruiser 105 - The Grey Nomad

Thanks Trooper, I think I will take the advice and travel via Xai Xai.

We went up to Barra last December, and passed through Giriyondo at 08:00. It only took max 1 hour to pass both customs. The gravel road to Masingir is usually fine and ok for a 2x4 bakkie. The tar roads were heavely potholed between Masingir and Chokoe, and again on the EN1 from Xai-Xai up north. We also went off over Chibuto and Manjacaze, and those sand rodes did not allow more than 75 km/h, but again a 2x4 bakkie should be fine. We joined the EN1 at chidenguela again, and the this road had plenty of holes to negotiate, up to Quissico. That said, the conditions obviously dictated slow going, and without stopping that much, we only arrived at Barra at 18:00. Appart from the heat, which my wife very much liked, we actually enjoyed every moment of our 10 day stay.

God willing, we are going to Barra again this coming December. But we like a change of cenery, and will therefore go through Mananga into Swaziland, and then to Moz through Namaacha. I am not quite sure what the road is like between Namaacha and Maputo, as the older maps (and some posts here) indicate it as a sand road? The latest Moz map indicate it as a national road. We will be 6 up in the Tuna, plus a trailer. We plan to start at 07:00 at Mananga (Opening time) and drive all the way to Barra in one day!

I just can not convince myself to go through Lebombo on the 26th of December! Enjoy your trip!
    Life can be difficult, but when you are stupid, it is even more difficult! 8)

Fortuner 3D4D, 4x4
    BMW 118
    Sentation 160
    Penta

Hi, SANParks will be enforcing a new policy that all travelers that wish to use the Giriyondo border post will be forced to stay over in the park for at least one night. This is to prevent speeding in that area. Just thought that this is useful information to all that will be going to Moz during December. This will take effect from 1 November 2011.

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewt...69747#p1569747
    As jy nie iets met "Force" regkry nie, Gebruik jy nie genoeg "Force" nie.
    You never know what you need until you need it....

Quote Originally Posted by Tandor View Post
    Hi, SANParks will be enforcing a new policy that all travelers that wish to use the Giriyondo border post will be forced to stay over in the park for at least one night. This is to prevent speeding in that area. Just thought that this is useful information to all that will be going to Moz during December. This will take effect from 1 November 2011.
    http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewt...69747#p1569747
    Brilliant news - no more taxis using it as a shortcut.

Hi adv950,

If needed some time:
    Tel numbers
    - SAPS Giriyondo - 013 735 8930
    - Immigration Giriyondo - 013 735 8947

Do not ask them about road-conditions. They will give you "duff gen".

Quote Originally Posted by AREA View Post
    God willing, we are going to Barra again this coming December. But we like a change of cenery, and will therefore go through Mananga into Swaziland, and then to Moz through Namaacha. I am not quite sure what the road is like between Namaacha and Maputo, as the older maps (and some posts here) indicate it as a sand road? The latest Moz map indicate it as a national road. We will be 6 up in the Tuna, plus a trailer. We plan to start at 07:00 at Mananga (Opening time) and drive all the way to Barra in one day!

I just can not convince myself to go through Lebombo on the 26th of December! Enjoy your trip!
    I went through Namaacha last year. The border is a breeze and the road to Maputo is all tar. Just the usual stuff, look out for animals and people crossing the road and go slow through the villages. Bear in mind that it is 100km more through Swaziland than from Ressano straight to Maputo, so your driving time could be 2 hours more. Decide for yourself if you want to spend this time waiting at Ressano or check out the scenery in Swaziland.

Yes Tony,

It is brilliant news. No more taxis and now there might be some animals on the gravel road towards the border post. The picnic spot halfway to the border is great. That gravel road has been used like a highway ever since the border post opened.
    As jy nie iets met "Force" regkry nie, Gebruik jy nie genoeg "Force" nie.
    You never know what you need until you need it....

3rd party Insurance can be purchased at your nearest Outdoor Warehouse.
    We made use of this facility when we went to Moz with no problems at all.

Friends have just returned from a trip to Inhambane and went in Komatiport Border. They said that the roads had all be resurfaced recently and that they were a pleasure to drive. Far worse potholes in SA apparantly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast