Cape Town to Upington and then Rooipan B&B

Default Cape Town to Upington and then Rooipan B&B

I am travelling to Kgalagadi on 1st October, on the first day we need to travel from Cape Town to Upington and then another 120k in one day. Please help and advise which route is the best to use and what should the travelling time be (both are 4l Prado only two up), via Springbok, Pofadder, Kakamas to Upington or Vanrhynsdorp, Brandvlei, Kenhardt and Upington??

I often do both routes and they are equally boring unless you venture off the beaten track. Not much difference in distance between the two, with the Brandvlei a little bit shorter. If you have time to spare, why don't you go via Ceres and the Tankwa Karoo, spend a night in the Tankwa NP. About 200km of gravel road driving, but it is about 100km shorter to Calvinia than any other road. Another road to consider is to drive up to Bitterfontein on the N7 and then just after Bitterfontein take the gravel road to Pofadder via Kliprand. Very lonely and also the longest straigh road in SA, some 160km of flat road through pans.
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

Thanks for reply Camelman, we are pressed for time so will have to push through. Do you remember how long it takes from Cape Town to Upington? regards,
    Andrew.

Quickest route is Calvinia, Brandvlei, Kenhard, Keimoes, Upington.

Should take you around about 8/9 hours from CPT to UPT if you keep to the speed limits and stop for fuel only.
    Thys de Jager
    Brackenfell, WC
    2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C Platkar 4x4
    1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Manual Funmachine

Thanks Thys, we will use suggested route and got 180l tank so will be able to run to Upington and then fill up. Groete Andrew.