Daihatsu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Daihatsu

Vusa Guest

Default Daihatsu

Anyone else using one of these wonderful vehicles?

The company I work for just got a new shape Terios as a company "run around". We are often on sites where there are very bad roads and peoples personal cars were getting trashed.
    Only had it about a month, but so far very nice vehicle. Have obviously not had a chance to try it in the really rough stuff, but that is not what it is designed to do. Good vehicle, comfortable, economical and daihatsu is owned by toyota so how bad can it be. On the underside of the wing mirrors it is still stamped "toyota".
    Wayne Usher<br>Suzuki Grand Vitara SWB 1.6 Bog Std

Loved it and took a test drive - VERY underpowered - even the salesmen agreed after te test drive
    '15 Honda CR-V Comfort Auto
    '10 Daihatsu Terios 4x4 Auto

Default DAIHATSU: Previous shape

We impulsively replaced a troublesome sedan with the previous shape Terios almost 2 years ago. At the time we used a 4x2 double cab for our outdoor travel and swore that 4x4 is not nescessary. We soon found ourselves driving everywhere with the Terios. Although underpowered, it is a brilliant offroad vehicle. With centre diff-lock and limited slip rear diff it can get you almost out of any spot. We have done a large part of De Wildt trail (until my wife complained about the excessive shaking), went to Kosi Bay and Ponto du Ouro, no-problem? The biggest draw backs are limited space and tiresome to drive long distance. The biggest pleasure was the expression of the Touareg drivers face to see that I drove to Ponto in a R135K vehicle and he had to pay so much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide1.JPG 
Views:	437 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	5601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide2.JPG 
Views:	427 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	5602  
    Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 2007/06/19 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Pictures failed to load up

Jungle Boy Guest

Thumbs up I Love mine to bits!

I must admit my 2007 Terios takes quite a hammering and has surpassed all my expectations and more! Fuel consumption is great and it's great fun in the mud! Just need to change the tyres though! By the way, except for the dealership, does anyone know where I can find some accessories for mine?

Name:	4x4 trippies 066.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	281.1 KB 
ID:	8455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x4 trippies 052.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	8456   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x4 trippies 006.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	8457  
    Last edited by Jungle Boy; 2007/09/06 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Struggling with attachments

I have a Daihatsu Rocky and absolutely love it! Its about the size of a SWB Pajero. Its as tough as nails. My travelling companions all drive Hilux KZTE's. They have all come to respect the Rocky, I go everywhere they go but use slightly less fuel.

It has a 2.7l intercooled turbo diesel engine, IFS and 5 link SRA with coil springs. Articulation at the back is very good! Only thing I wish it did have which it doesnt is a difflock, but the short wheel base and good rear axle articulation get me through most cross axles without issues. (I think the power is about 70kW and tourque is 257Nm). The engine was apparently a joint design by Daihatsu and Toyota.

For some reason which I dont understand, my fuel consumption seems to be improving? Last three tank fulls have yeilded less than 10l/100km

I know most people wont believe this but the only 4x4 I would upgrade to is the new Landcruiser 70, and only because it appears to be a slightly larger version of the Rocky with difflocks. The drawback of the Landcruiser is its fuel consumption!

Overall pro's
    Tough as nails
    Designed as a working vehicle in rough areas
    Very reliable
    Very capable off road
    Fuel efficient
    Very simple, no electronics at all

Con's
    Very, very slow (120 flat out down a hill with a hurricane tail wind behind)
    Crawling gear ratio is a bit too high, wish it was a bit lower
    Very rare, very few people know about them in SA
    Parts while readily available from the dealers are a bit expensive
    A bit small inside (its a SWB). Its big enough for two people overlanding, with all the kit.

Sadly when Toyota bought Daihastu they discontinued the Rocky partly because it was competition to their Landcruiser pickup/70 models. So you cant get them anymore, which is a great pity because they truly are great vehicles!

Here are some photo's

Name:	flex.JPG 
Views:	370 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	8459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Approachpomen.JPG 
Views:	360 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	8460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crosslim.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	8461   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ihahacamp.JPG 
Views:	438 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	8462  

Default Accessories

By the way, except for the dealership, does anyone know where I can find some accessories for mine?[/quote]

I have searched high and low for accessories, but no body except the dealers stock Daihatsu accessories or parts (seems the volumes are too low for any direct importers). Before the launch of the new shape i found fantastic goodies for the old shape (from center arm rest to wood inserts in the doors and facia) on UK websites. However, none of the distributors bothered to reply on my e-mails for the centre arm rest (didn't need the other bling). Excalibur and Front-runner might have roof racks, bull-bars and stepping boards.

Jungle Boy Guest

Wink Hey there Scooby....

Could you possibly please forward me the addresses of the websites where you found the accessories for your Daihatsu? I'm also struggling to find some goodies for my 2007 Model Terios,

Thanks!

Jungle Boy I have not manage to get any replies on the web sites, but try daihatsu.co.uk.

Jungle Boy Guest

Default Thanks

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

Jungle Boy. I have seen a few new shape Teriosses (sounds weird) withbull bars. Swambo is now seriously looking for one for hers. If you find some accessories for yours, please let me know.

Default Custom Bull Bar

Does anybody know who in Gauteng could manufacture a custom nudgebar from stainless steel (or aluminium). Swambo seriously Wants to fit one to her old shape 1.3l Terios. Although it is purely cosmetic (and ads weight) I agreed because I can then fit driwing lamps without drilling into the bodywork (the OEM lights can hardly cast a shadow.). I've searched the web but can't seem to find anything, not even from Frontrunner, TJM, or Steelite. The must be a manufacturer out ther since ive seen a few of these models fitted.

One of the forum members from PE, had a bullbar made for his Kia Sorento by Burnco and it looks really good....it's used in Burnso's add in SA4x4 as well. I don't know about the Stainless Steel or aluminium bit, could get very expensive. Desert Stormer in Worcester make custom stainless bumpers, maybe try them.

JCG Guest

Hi all.

Newbie reporting. I have a 1.3 Terios for my runabout and the wife drives the family car. I have not to date owned a better car than the Terios, they are realy tough little buggers. I also belong to another forum just for the Terios called TERIOSGROUP. Go have a look there for some overseas suppliers of goodies for the Terios, old and new. Here is a pic from a Terios in South America.

Till later
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Vusa View Post
    Anyone else using one of these wonderful vehicles?
    I bought mine 3months ago and allready have 14 000 kilo's on the clock. Haven't done anything too serious yet, but it sure has some real potential for a softroader. I'm using it in corn fields and terrible roads everyday, it is very good fun when it's wet. I normally think of it as a mean hatch and not a mini 4x4. The job I'm in I can probably do with a car and do a lot of walking and getting stuck, or use a Terios ( which is a car ) and drive straight to the field I need to be in. GREAT CAR!!!!!!!!!
    Ford Ranger T6

I busted one of my fog lights on my Terios. R1800 agents only. THATS just mad

Smile

I'm driving a 2003 Terios I. The most feul-efficient 4X4 I've come across. A lot of fun, and BIG surprise to others when realising it's a normal aspirated 1.3 under the hood. Mine has been fitted with a free-flow system by Daihatsu SA prior to me getting posession of it, and it's got a lot of go. Just a pity that most of the parts are only available from the dealers at crazy prices.

Just returned from a week in Kruger reserve. I was amazed with the consumption. Did aproximately 520km driving in the reserve, with 4 people in the vehicle, and averaged 15.22km/l including extended periods of idling at the water holes. Coming back the consumption was significantly higher due to a strong head wind and heavy right foot (got 1 fine ). Most people will argue that the Terios is not the best 4x4xfar, but it is definitely the cheapest (to buy and to run)
    Platkar: Subaru Forester 2.5X Manual + LR (Echo RTT not yet fitted)
    Offroad Monster: Daihatsu Terios 1.3, Centre Diff-lock, Rear LSD, Freeflow Exhaust, 15/215/70 Bridgestone Dueler H/T Tyres

Default Not Bad

Not Bad - that is about what I get with my Audi Tdi. My Terios (1998 with 245000 km's) I only use as a run around in Lamberts Bay - get about av. of 10 - but that includes a bit of sand as well - still not bad for a 4x4 !

Sorry Guys I wasn't playing by the rules.
    Last edited by JAN30; 2008/10/08 at 03:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast