Camp Sites Where ONLY 4x4's Can Get To?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Camp Sites Where ONLY 4x4's Can Get To?

I would like to know some nice camp sites where only 4x4's / decent bakkies can get to and no cars with dropped suspensions and low profiles with bass blasters can get to.

Beaverlac used to be one of them but they managed to get those pimpbmobiles up there these days...

Basically nice camp sites where there is no bass music or people swearing at each others mothers.

------------------------------------------------

2004 Toyota Hilux 2.4D
    1999 VW Caddy 1600

Hi Kurt

Maybe have a look at Klein Tafelberg as well - in winter and spring the flora is absolutely stunning!!! They have new chalets and camping sites with electricity and their ablution facilities are the best. Also a pool, communial braai if you don't want to braai at your spot, "kitchen" area with a freezer - and the best is that the owner is there on weekends as well - so he will sort out the "un-behaved".

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 3.8l - SAC branches + freeflow & foolers - SuperChip - TJM - Radio/GPS/DVD mods
    Some other toys as well...

Discovered 2
    Gifberg farm but no facilities.
    Papkuilsfontein.

Kroonland. Very nice with a little "playground"
    Eric

2017 Discovery Sport SE
    2011 Discovery 4 V8 HSE
    2016 Audi A1 Sportback (Sold)
    2012 Range Rover Evoque (Sold)
    2009 Defender SVX 60th Limited (Sold)
    1997 Discovery V8 ES (Sold)
    2009 Freelander 2 TD4 (Sold)
    2012 Spite Tourer SP
    2010 Jugens XT140 (Sold)
    2008 Jugens Xplorer (Sold)

Hi Kurt

Maybe have a look at Klein Tafelberg as well - in winter and spring the flora is absolutely stunning!!! They have new chalets and camping sites with electricity and their ablution facilities are the best. Also a pool, communial braai if you don't want to braai at your spot, "kitchen" area with a freezer - and the best is that the owner is there on weekends as well - so he will sort out the "un-behaved".
    Kurt,

I can definately vouch for Klein Tafelberg, it's one of my favourite spots as well. Stephen won'y take any nonsense of people not behaving. I am going there again at the end of November.

Another place you can have a look at is Boegoeberg. A bit further but also great, will visit there end of the month for the long weekend.

Then you can also look at places in the Cederberg like Nuwerust. Accessible by normal car but I don't think Louise will allow an unbehaved crowd either.

Alternatively, have a look at www.campsa.co.za I think this is an initiative from one of our very own forum members...
    Toyota Hilux V6, Cooper St Maxx, Eko Alu Canopy, Drawer System,
    Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto DC, Ironman snorkel, BF Goodrich KO2, Eko Alu Canopy, Drawer System, 90l NL, Dual Battery System (Sold)
    Fortuner V6 - Dual battery, 72 liter auxilary fuel tank, Ironman suspension, 90l NL, Hannibal roofrack, 50 liter water tank (Sold - Served us well, will miss him!)

Toyota RAV4 2014
    Corolla d4d (sold)
    110 Defender 2.8i 161Kw, 180l long range tanks, NL Weekender, KC Daylighters (Sadly sold but lots of fond memories)

Quote Originally Posted by jwagener View Post

Then you can also look at places in the Cederberg like Nuwerust. Accessible by normal car but I don't think Louise will allow an unbehaved crowd either.
    Louise will not take any nonsense. Well controled, clean and quiet.

Also try Bojaanskop near Calitzdorp. You might get there with a 2x4 with difflock. Very very quiet, clean and the owners will even bring wood to the campsite at a very reasonable fee. A no nonsense campsite. Chances are good that there will be no other campers.
    Paul Bothma ("Ore" so ken my familie my)
    2014 2.2 Ford Ranger XLS 4x4

Or try to get a group of 6 couples together and book the entire site @ Skilpadfontein - next to the Breede river, lots of fishing, mountain biking @ a great lapa to kuier!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer aka Bos Parra

Between the Groen and Spoeg rivers in the new part of the Namaqua national park. Quite a few camp sites along the coast. Braai places, but no other facilities. Composting toilets, but out of order. Were there last long weekend - no crowds, lovely flowers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Agree with Swanny, Kroonland is such place. Need a high clearance vehicle to get to the camp spot, nice lapa to braai beautiful views and very close to Cape Town (close to Villiersdorp)
    www.campsa.co.za/kroonland
    Oscar Schmidt
    Mitsu Triton 3.2 DiD 4x4

Ou Kraal. reg bo-op Gamkaberg, soek dit op Cape Nature se site...een van my Top 3 Sites waar ek al was...flippen cool.

Het dit so 3 - 4 jaar gelede met my ou Chevy Blazer uitgery.
    Kia Sorento 2.2d A/T
    Honda CRV 2.0 A/T

Boegoeberg near Clanwilliam. A specific campsite where only 4x4 vehicles can get to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt24 View Post
    I would like to know some nice camp sites where only 4x4's / decent bakkies can get to and no cars with dropped suspensions and low profiles with bass blasters can get to.
    Is there any other type of camping?

Try the Richtersveld conservancy - like the Richtersveld nat park, just wilder. Camp where you want to and you can even choose a campsite where very few 4x4's get to if you wish.
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

Default nice camp site - Protea Farm , Montague.

Hi Kurt24
    We went to Protea farm camp site last year that was very nice. Only one 4x4 can drive to the campsite at a time due to the narrow mountain pass. Some challinging points. This place to me is magical. You completely isolated and have the most nessory facilities like toilets, showers, wash basin and hot water. You will need a 4x4 to get there!!! The river pool and grass park is nice for kids to play. No Electricity!!! come prepaired!! lots of shade!! The stars was freeking spectaculaaaaaar!!!!!
    http://www.proteafarm.co.za/

Only two hours from cape town with all posible things you can do in Montaque with kids and dogs it is the perfect place for me.

If you go - Enjoy!!
    Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt24 View Post

Beaverlac used to be one of them but they managed to get those pimpbmobiles up there these days...

Basically nice camp sites where there is no bass music or people swearing at each others mothers.

Little further a feild have a look at www.casarei.co.za

My apologies if I am off the topic, but will it be possible to create a database where members can input these sites with directions and comments? There are beautiful places that are not generally known, and then are also those best avoided.

The Tankwa is in the middle of no where and needs a hardy vehicle to get there too but believe me it is also not for the faint hearted campers
    Live everyday as though it were your last and one day you will be right.
    Suzuki Jimny - Sookie - /\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
    ZS3GS
    ZS1GS

You can try De Vlei Private Nature Reserve. See www.devlei.com. On the same road (Ceres - Calvinia) as Tankwa Karroo NP. 4 camping spots, small ablution facility, no power etc, quads and scramblers not allowed. Camping spots can only be reached with 4x4. There is a cottage on the land as well, which may be available when the owner is not going to use it. There are some pictures on the website, with booking facility etc. Lovely little known place.

The Tankwa is in the middle of no where and needs a hardy vehicle to get there too but believe me it is also not for the faint hearted campers
    I have driven to Sutherland through the Tankwa Karoo on back roads with my old '86 Opel Kadett :P
    Constant Meiring
    BMW F800GSA
    Renault Duster 1.5DCI 4x4

SOLD - '96 Defender 90 300TDI - Terrafirma ProSport Shocks & Coils, Khumo KL71 muds, Allisport double core intercooler & FAST ORANGE silicon pipes
    FOR SALE - '03 Discovery 2 TD5 Facelift - WAS remapped (until a certain dodgy indy made off with my NNN ecu), CDL mod

Quote Originally Posted by constantlm View Post
    I have driven to Sutherland through the Tankwa Karoo on back roads with my old '86 Opel Kadett :P
    Why did you get a Landy then?
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

Quote Originally Posted by camelman View Post
    Why did you get a Landy then?
    My old kadett didn't break down enough - it was getting boring
    Constant Meiring
    BMW F800GSA
    Renault Duster 1.5DCI 4x4

SOLD - '96 Defender 90 300TDI - Terrafirma ProSport Shocks & Coils, Khumo KL71 muds, Allisport double core intercooler & FAST ORANGE silicon pipes
    FOR SALE - '03 Discovery 2 TD5 Facelift - WAS remapped (until a certain dodgy indy made off with my NNN ecu), CDL mod

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast