Has anyone used dry ice to keep things cold - when camping

Default Has anyone used dry ice to keep things cold - when camping

Hi all,

I am busy kitting out the 4x4 for some week long camping trips up north (first timer camping for these periods in the bush). As I was mulling over the cost and weight of electric/gas caming fridges, I thought about how, when at school, the ice cream guys who came around kept the ice creams in their boxes frozen with dry ice.

As an aternative option, does anyone use dry ice in cooler boxes when camping and if, so, what are the results.

William
    Look at the threat at the bottom. "How do I keep meat freash for 4 days"
    There is some results on your question.
    The dry ice stuff look so dangerous with smoke coming from it like the chemistry experiments at school in the laborotory. Also do i remenber some story about someone licking the stuff and got his tongue frozen to the dryice.
    Makes my beer turn bitter when i think of it. I endure the weight of a 12 volt fridge. Happy holidays.

Dry ice works well, just wrap it in newspaper.
    D2 V8. Pro Comp MX6 Shocks with Mikem Custom Progressive Coils. Wildcat Headers. 265/75/16 Hankook RT03's. FLI Audio. Kaiser Locker.

i would think twice about transporting large volumes of dry ice in my vehicle unless it was very well ventilated. As it sublimates into gaseous CO2 it could become a suffocation hazard
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Hi
    I tried dry ice once . I think I paid R80 for 5Kg and it lasted just over 3 days in a coleman 5 day cooler , which was dissapointing. I now use just plain ice which lasts at least for 4 to 5 days and it`s easier to get and you can use it in your drinks.

Andrew

I used dry ice on my recent trip to Kgalagadi & I will never use it again.

It's expensive, possibly deadly and didn't last for 2 days in my Coleman.

I'm going to fill some ice cream tubs up and freeze them for my next trip. I can always top up with cubed ice (Available anywhere) once the big ice has melted..... (Also helps with the occasional requirement for a chilled G&T)

Cheers
    V6 Pathfinder (AirMax, KC Daylighters, Bash plate, D694's, EFS 2" Lift)
    Conqueror Conquest (90L National Luna Twin + Stuff)

We use frozen 1.5l Addis type water bottles - doesn't mess as much as ice in a cooler box. Plus you have nice cold water when it melts.

I used 5kg dry ice when at oppikoppi last year to keep meat frozen for about 4/5 days. Kept the meat and dry ice in seperate coolbox and only opened once a day.
    When returning to PTA there was still about 1kg left.
    It helped that it was winter in the bushveld and @#%@$ cold at night.

When going to Kosi Bay this year i bought 2.5kg of dry ice and it only lasted for less than 2 days.

I think the 'outside' temperature plays a major role in how fast it sublimes.

It's not viable to buy dry ice for every trip, worked well a few times and when you are strapped for cash, but i'm going to invest in a NL 50 litre fridge

2001 Land Rover Defender TD5 110

i think its fine for up to 5 days. iv used it in moz, in january. unopened boxes in shade were frozen for 5 days, cold for the next 2. but very good fibreglass cold boxes.
    firstly you need to realise a coleman is not a good cold box.
    then the trick is to have 2 frozen boxes(decent ones), you pack them in order of when you will need the stuff, and seal with tape. only open the box once a day for just long enough to remove your meat. keep boxes in the shade and ventilated.
    dont use dry ice for beers, you open that box too often.

i wouldnt worry about being killed by CO2, the urge to breath is stimulated by a build up of CO2, not by low oxygen levels, so if you did get too much carbon dioxide build up in a car you would feel like you were holding your breath and need to breath long before the level became dangerours, and it would be a false feeling as you would sitll be taking in oxygen. also if you dont open the box and it stays properly cold then it sublimes very little.

also if you forget the soda water, you can just drop a piece of dry ice in a glass of normal water, cold and fizzy in minutes.
    1997 Cruiser 1HZ - New Toy
    2003 Lexus IS200 - Daily
    2006 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 - Trouble Maker

Default Thanks for the dry ice input

Thanks everyone for the dry ice input. Really appreciate it. A tip I got the other day from a seasoned botswana camper swambo, is that she gets vacuum packed pre cooked stews etc from Seamens butchery in Strydom Park, Randburg and apparently they last well in an ice cooled cooler box

I have 2 Coleman Extremes which I have bought before my 80L Luna fridge.

Travelled the Richtersveld during December 2007 and still had solid frozen meet in the 2nd cooler on day 11. Important though, stick to the correct procedure of managing your dry ice and the cooler packing method. This particular cooler was opened the first time on either day 6 or 7 after cooler 1 was emptied of its last content.

Opened coolers once a day late at night to remove next day's meat. Each day's meat was separated in advance with a layer of insulation. Each of these had small holes in them to allow distribution of cold air. Very important to fill or isolate the space created with the removal of meat with newspaper or a solid sheet of rubber /sponge foam. This prolongs the life of the dry ice as little air remains between the ice and meet that may require cooling.

Effort meets opportunity!!

Landrover TD5 2001

Default Soda Water

Hi,

Dry ice is wonderfull if you manage it properly.

Here's a little trick.

Drop a nugget (about a teaspoon full size) of dry ice into a glass of room temperature water. Two minutes later, ice cold soda water.

Cheers
    Keith
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....