Mozambique Island

Question Mozambique Island

Toying with the idea to drive up to Mozambique Island 2300km north of Maputo in December '11. Has anyone been up that way that can share some do's, don'ts, river crossings, experiences, time travelled etc? I would like to stay off the tar from time to time so as to explore the coast as much as possible.
    Last edited by magalhaes; 2010/09/03 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Adding text

Have a look at my trip report here http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=62703 for info on our stay on Ilha do Mozambique. There's very little access to the coast in that area, other than the route from Nacala to Matibane and Mossuril and Chocas Mar. Matibane and Chocas both have great beaches, by all accounts.

Thanks Tony, will print and study. From the map, it looks pretty much in-land from Inhassoro onwards if time is to be made up.

Quote Originally Posted by magalhaes View Post
    Thanks Tony, will print and study. From the map, it looks pretty much in-land from Inhassoro onwards if time is to be made up.
    Yup, you can do about 30km north of Inhassoro to (I think) Dugong Lodge and another one (BD's?) along the high tide mark. From there to the mouth of the Pungoe south of Beira is very swampy along the coast. Evidently Savane, north of Beira is brilliant. I don't know the coast between the mouth of the Zambezi at Chinde (no road access to Chinde - we did it by rubber duck some years back) and Ilha, but I'm sure there must be some great places. A good place to ask is on Mike Slater's website, Mozguide.com Also, don't believe anyone who says you can do from Memba, north of Nacala to Pemba on the coast. You won't get across the Lurio River, and there is a good chance you'll get robbed at the Lurio when you get stuck. This has happened to several people, including Kingsley Holgate.

TW