Vehicle Ferry & Paperwork from Zanzibar to Dar

Default Vehicle Ferry & Paperwork from Zanzibar to Dar

Hi Guy's

I have a friend who lives on Zanzibar and has a vehicle that he is lending me to do a Tanzania trip. He say's he is having difficulty in organising to get the vehicle across to Dar.

Zanzibar as far as I am aware has it's own Customs & Immigration so I would think it would be the same sort of paperwork that is needed when crossing any other border.

ie the vehicles reg. papers, insurance, temp import permit for 30 days, etc?

Has anyone had any experience in this regard?

Failing which, has anyone got any contacts who would have a 4x4 for hire at a reasonable rate. So far I can only find vehicles for between US$120-200 per day with driver(which I don't want).

This is pretty urgent as our flights are already booked for the 6th September.

Thanks
    Regards
    Grant

Anyone with any info??

Quote Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
    Anyone with any info??
    Hi Grant,

I would assume that there wouldn't be any issues because although Zanzibar is a separate country theoretically, they are in a union with mainland Tanzania and share customs etc. We shipped our Land Rover from Mtwara in the south to Dar some years ago (heavy rainy season and the Rufiji ferry was washed away) and it was relatively straightforward. My advice though would be to pay an import agent in Dar to sort out the paperwork - I used to use one in Nairobi when bringing stuff into the country and it was worth every cent of it in saved bureaucracy.

Tony

Thanks Tony
    My mate is using an agent & I think the paperwork is going in to Dar today, holding thumbs it will all go through no problems. We are due to fly out in 2 weeks today.
    Regards
    Grant

Thanks Tony
    My mate is using an agent & I think the paperwork is going in to Dar today, holding thumbs it will all go through no problems. We are due to fly out in 2 weeks today.
    Regards
    Grant
    Cool, enjoy it, Tanzania is a fantastic country. If you are into birding, try and get up into the Usambara Mountains between Muheza and Tanga, and head up to Amani for some great forest birding, and a chance of seeing the Usambara Alethe. Here's an extract from something I wrote about them some time back: The forests of the Usambaras have the highest level of species endemicism of any forest in East and Central Africa, with 680 of the recorded 2 000 plant species occurring nowhere else in the world. Covering 24 000 ha, there are 250 recorded species of forest trees, around 60 of which are found nowhere else, and several rare birds, with the Naduk Eagle Owl, the Usambara Alethe and the Usambara Weaver endemic.

Vehicle paperwork has been sorted out & it is crossing today to Dar.
    Flying up on Monday for a 3 week tour:
    Kilwa,Selous, Morogoro, Dodoma, Tarangire, Manyara, Serengeti, Lushuto, Bagomoyo & back to Dar.
    Any comments/input would be welcome.

Vehicle paperwork has been sorted out & it is crossing today to Dar.
    Flying up on Monday for a 3 week tour:
    Kilwa,Selous, Morogoro, Dodoma, Tarangire, Manyara, Serengeti, Lushuto, Bagomoyo & back to Dar.
    Any comments/input would be welcome.
    Hi Grant,

Glad to hear you got sorted. Looks like a great route. If you go down to Mtwara, take the road south to just before the Mozambique border and camp on the beach at Msimbati - paradise, and some of the best coral reef snorkelling around. I would check out the condition of the Morogoro - Dodoma - Arusha road as it used to be a shocker. It may make more sense to go on the main road via Moshi. You might want to post a separate post on the Tanzania section for fresh info.