Caska and T4A - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Caska and T4A

Anja, ok... Makes sense...

I'm somer just running Garmin XT on my WinCE unit... And with the Garmin software, you can use any garmin compatible maps.... Like T4A...

:-)

2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 6 Auto Diesel
    Lynx Bashplate

DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide
    My ULTIMATE dual battery box

Default Caska and T4A

Which unit are you using? Not all of them will be able to take Garmin mobile XT. Also, Garmin has discontinued mobile XT, so it's sometimes difficult to get hold of.

Regards,

Anja

I really looked forward to running T4A on my Caska. Unfortuantely my CASKA unit had a problem with the volume button for which it went to Planet Electronics for repairs, and was returned - volume button repaired. Thereafter the unit however never worked properly again... some CAN BUS problem. Planet Electronics has now had the unit for four months.

Today I get a phone call advising me they can now repair it, but at my cost. Huh? It came back broken from them!

Goodbye CASKA, - what utter rubbish service. I'll be using T4A on my Garmin again.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

I am thinking of purchasing a CASKA unit. I have been reading up and asking Jonathan questions regarding the unit.

My question is around the GPS function. How do you plot your trip? According to Jonathan I cannot plot my trip on my computer and then transfer it to the unit. I will have to plot my trip on the CASKA unit. This means I will have to sit in the vehicle and plot the trip. Is this correct?

If this is so I do not need T4A or Garmap on my computer! This then also means you cannot down load your rout to your computer.

How do you guys do it and what is your experience?

"Anja T4A"- I enquired from Planet World if they could also provide me with T4A and they said yes they could load it on the SD card at a price of R999.00. If I purchased it from T4A would it be less?

Thanks,
    Ben

RY WAAR JY MAG MET PASSIE

2009 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D DC 4X4

Default Caska and T4A

Ben,

Unfortunately no software exists at the moment which allows you to plan a route on your PC and then send it to the CASKA unit.

You can go ahead and purchase from Planet Electronics. They ask the same price. Which unit are you using, i.e. which map type are you purchasing?

Regards,

Anja

Anja T4A

Is this an issue not to be able to plan on the computer? I would then just have to plan the route and then sit in the vehicle and program it in the CASKA unit.

Thanks,
    Ben

Default Caska and T4A

Whisky,

Some people prefer planning their trip on a PC in order to see things on a bigger screen, but it's a personal preference thing.

With Garmin units we actually recommend that you calculate the route on the unit and not on your PC, so it's not an issue on the Caska unit, but for some people it can be (because they prefer working on their PC).

Regards,

Anja

Glad to see someone from T4A here... the CASKA units are a disaster though, which is not T4A's problem, but rather Planet Electronics. It could ahve been such a sweet combo!

I'd recomend purchasing T4A for a normal Garmin, the CASKA product is simply not up to standard, neither is their after sales service.

Planet eventualy agreed to fix my unit at their 'expense'. Came to fit my 'repaired' unit last week, guess what, same problem! Immediatley tried to defer the issue to my vehicles CAN BUS... (which shows no error codes and works perfectly with the OEM) Waiting to hear from them. I don't think they even have proper equipment to test the CAN BUS interface on the units.

Ok, feel better now.

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

Kortgat, buiten die feit dat jy nou kwaad is vir Planet Electronics en nou niks met die CASKA eenhied te doen wil he nie, wat is jou opinie van die eenheid? Moet nou nie dat jou emosies die oorhand kry nie maar jou logiese denke, asb.

Sal jou kommentaar waardeer. Ek is sterk op pad om die eenheid met band druk meter en tru kamera te koop. Indien ek baie negatiewe respons kry los ek dit. Tot dusver het baie gese hulle is tevrede.

Die enigste naadeel, indien dit wel een is, is dat ek nie my roete op my rekenaar kan plot en oordra na die eenhied nie. Ek sal op die eenheid moet werk. Dit is seker nie so 'n groot issue nie.

Groete,
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    Kortgat, buiten die feit dat jy nou kwaad is vir Planet Electronics en nou niks met die CASKA eenhied te doen wil he nie, wat is jou opinie van die eenheid? Moet nou nie dat jou emosies die oorhand kry nie maar jou logiese denke, asb.

Sal jou kommentaar waardeer. Ek is sterk op pad om die eenheid met band druk meter en tru kamera te koop. Indien ek baie negatiewe respons kry los ek dit. Tot dusver het baie gese hulle is tevrede.

Die enigste naadeel, indien dit wel een is, is dat ek nie my roete op my rekenaar kan plot en oordra na die eenhied nie. Ek sal op die eenheid moet werk. Dit is seker nie so 'n groot issue nie.

Groete,
    Hello Whisky,

Sal my huidige emosies oor Planet Electronice en CASKA wegsteek.

Ek was baie opgewonde en positiv oor die CASKA toe ek hom eers in die hande kry. Maar ek het reedlike vinnig agtergekom hy het baie funksies maar die unit is n bietjie van n jack of all trades, master of none.

Hier is my pros & cons:

PROS:
    - integrates really well into the vehicle, - looks like OEM equipment
    - does many things in a single unit... unfortunately non of them really well

CONS:
    - Garmap Drive software does not route correctly, it is compleatly inferior to my Quest & Nuvi units
    - Searching for an address or POI forces the user to enter the city before entering a street or POI name. Try finding something which is not in a city like 'Skukuza' with that logic... impossible.
    - Warning screen which you have to 'OK' each time you use the unit (managed to turn this off by modifying the .ini file)
    - Default screen is not the current location, but the 'Find' screen
    - Radio reception is nowhere near as good as the original unit for the vehicle, i.e. no support of diversity reception.
    - GUI of the radio, DVD, etc. is primitive to say the least, reminds of a very cheap Chinese product (which it is - but expensive to buy)
    - No firmaware updates EVER available
    - Up and down buttons on the unit work in the wrong direction. I.e. pushing the UP button moves the selection on the screen down and v.v.
    - Forget about TV reception (don't need it anyway, but some people might)
    - Bluetooth works, but will not give you access to your mobiles phone book.
    - Reverse camera takes about 10 seconds to start displaying the image when shifting to reverse... by that time I'm out of the parking already
    - No shuffle function on mp3's & does not read mp3 id3 tags. It barely displays the filename.

All in all very dissapointing product, looks very good on paper but is very far from what it needs to be.

The navigation is so bad, I started using the Quest & Nuvi again and was always very tempted to put the original radio back. This decision was eventually made for me when the CASKA unit broke.

Koop liewerste vir jou n' beter Garmin en een van die goedkoop mobile tyre pressure systems.

Dink ook die CASKA is hopeloos overpriced. Daar is baie ander double din units op die mark wat eintlik presies dieselfed as die CASKA is en minder as R 5000 kos.

Hoop dit help, jammer as ek dameer jou 'excitement' oor die CASKA verander, maar dit is hoe ek die ding sien.

AnjaT4A,

The map type that comes with the CASKA unit is NAVTEQ Mapping. Can you route on this map or is this just your basemap?

Thanks,
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    AnjaT4A,

The map type that comes with the CASKA unit is NAVTEQ Mapping. Can you route on this map or is this just your basemap?

Thanks,
    Whisky, know you probably want the answer from Anja T4A but I've spent days and nights with my CASKA trying to improve it, so feel I can answer this question very well.

There is no NAVTEQ platform with the CASKA units sold in SA. They come standard with an adapted SYGIC navigation platform running adapted GARMAP maps. GARMAP maps are great - basically the same as distributed with Garmin devices in SA. The SYGIC paltform however leaves much to be desired and I believe it was not implemented very well for the CASKA. Looking at the SYGIC SDK (software development kit) and having contacted the SYGIC developers, it is evident that much better functionality could have been made available, e.g. allow the user to search for a street name across the whole country or at least a province. I suspect this function was removed as the CASKA's relatively sluggish processor would not be able to return a result within a reasonable time, or not at all, therefore you always have to specify the city first. So if you are looking for Lakefield Avenue and you only know it's in Ekhuruleni or the East Rand, you will not find it unless you start searching through each one of the towns making up the greater area until you get lucky.

T4A runs on an adapted iGO navigation paltform. Have never tested this, but sounds very promising and I got very excited about this.

I have been working closely with Planet Electronics and iGO over the last 18months in order to launch the T4A maps on these devices. Allow me to clarify a few points.

There are essentially 3 hardware models from Caska in South Africa:
    • 0401E - first model they introduced
    • CN136 - second model
    • CN138 - latest model being sold, much better processor and memory than older ones

The first two models have been replaced by CN138 for some time now and it is able to run the iGO Primo software instead of iGO8 which is an older version of the software.

Initially the units were all sold with Garmap Drive which is based on the Sygic software and TeleAtlas (TomTom) maps. This has now been replaced with the iGO Primo software and Navteq maps.

You can buy the Caska with Navteq maps only for street navigation or with a combo where you get both Navteq and T4A and there is a map switch function allowing you to toggle between the maps.

The iGO Primo sofwtare dictates the user interface for navigation and I personally have found this to be better than the Nuvi interface. Its much easier to find things and the routing is quick.

The iGO Primo software however does not allow you to transfer routes/waypoints/tracks to the unit. You can make waypoints on the unit itself and you can even record tracks (time based, 1sec interval) and save these but the transfer of this is not slick.

There is also no PC/Mac based software associated with the product for trip planning like you find with Garmin's Mapsource or Basecamp.

So if your requirement is navigation only then its a great tool to have in the car. I have it installed on a mirror replacement unit which I really enjoyed on our recent trip to Zambia. I still have my Garmin Oregon in the car but only to record my tracks with.

As far as the hardware and pricing goes, I cannot really comment on this. However almost every other unit sold in South Africa that I have seen was sold with illegal iGo8 software and old (2008) maps on them and there is no map updates available. Now if you factor in the cost of legal software and maps you would easily add another R1000 to R1500 to the price of the unit.

So I hear about the sluggishness of the unit and the UI of the navigation software but keep in mind which model your are referring to as I believe the latest hardware is much faster than the very first units. Also the software UI has now been replaced with iGO Primo so its a complete new system.

I have also had the pleasure of seeing quite a few of the cheaper options and be aware that the quality varies a lot and some of the places where these were bought does not give any support, not even bad support! Some units also do not read the SD ID in full, i.e. it only reads 8 instead of 10 digits and if this is the case you cannot buy new maps for it at a later stage. We had to turn away a few customers because of this already.

At the moment this market is littered with fly by nights and I think we are in for a big fallout with some of the better dealers surviving and the rest moving on to the next fad. I hear what is said about Planet Electronics support but I still found them to be one of the better suppliers in South Africa at this stage. There are two or three others who sell a great, legal product and provide good service but in terms of volume Planet Electronics seems to be the leader at this stage.

Hope this helps.

Johann T4A

Informative post Groenie - thanks. I have the 0401E unit in my Pajero (came standard) and pretty much share Kortgat's sentiments on the unit. The frustrating thing is that it seems that the unit is more than capable but the software lets it down in a big way (all the software on it, not just the Nav s/w) - cumbersome and buggy!

With what you have said in mind, are you by any chance aware if there is a mechanism available wherein we can upgrade our units to the latest versions (CN138). Be it via the current vehicle warranty or a swop out or at worst maybe a trade-in via Planet Electronics?
    Gary

Current: Khumo AT KL78; EFS Suspension; Stofpad Rock Sliders; Stofpad Bashplate
    Proud Owner: Metalian Maxi
    When budget allows: Air helpers; Snorkel (not necessarily in that order)

Dankie Groenie,

Moet se nou verstaan ek die eenheid beter.

"(So if your requirement is navigation only then its a great tool to have in the car. I have it installed on a mirror replacement unit which I really enjoyed on our recent trip to Zambia. I still have my Garmin Oregon in the car but only to record my tracks with.) Your quote."

That is what I want to use the unit for, navigation. What do you mean "I have it installed on a mirror replacement unit"?

I will be travelling down to Cape Town in December along the gravel roads, through the Karroo and then along the West Coast and then the Cederberg. Will I be able to route this route on this unit?

Regards,
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Bateleur View Post
    With what you have said in mind, are you by any chance aware if there is a mechanism available wherein we can upgrade our units to the latest versions (CN138). Be it via the current vehicle warranty or a swop out or at worst maybe a trade-in via Planet Electronics?
    And therein is the problem. There is absoloutley no way of updating the CASKA firmware. It's just another cheapo Chinese product dressed up/marketed as a high quality one. I've contacted CASKA in Europe, China etc., 'please buy new unit if you like to use new firmware' is the answer.

Johann thank you for the info, wish I could check exactly which version CASKA I have/perhaps had (who knows), but it's sitting at Planet Electronics for the last 4+ months now. It's around two years old now.

Ek het gesÍ dat ek terug voering sal gee van die CASKA eenheid wat ek ingesit het. Ons het 5000Km gery. Die meeste seker 3500km was grond pad.

T4A het baie goed gewerk. Ek kon die roete op die eenheid beplan en ek het elke keer by my bestemming uitgekom. Daar is baie funksies wat ek nog moet leer maar soos ons aangegaan het het ek die stelsel beter leer ken. Die arriveer tyd was in die kol.

Ek is baie tevrede met die stelsel.

Groete,
    Ben

Hi Whisky,

Baie dankie vir u terugvoering, ons is bly u het die kaarte op die Caska unit geniet.

Groete,
    Erin T4A

This thread has been quiet for a while now and I was wondering whether anyone has any further comments on the Caska system?

I am considering one for my 2008 Land Cruiser 200. It currently has the 2009 Toyota maps on it which are seriously lacking in detail and to update them is R3000 from the dealership. And then another R3000 when the next update comes out! Seriously expensive and no option to add T4A. Seems crazy these days when you can buy a R500 app (Tomtom) for an iPad and get free updates thereafter!

The Caska system will be about R12500 but with cheaper updates and the ability to add T4A.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recent experience with Caska or alternative systems?

I have a new Caska unit in my Amarok with T4A on and it works 100%.

Sent from my iPad, using Tapatalk HD
    2013 Land Rover Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE (14 Julie 2017)
    2013 VW Amarok DC 2.0 BTDi 8-Speed Auto (1 Maart 2013 - 16 Julie 2017)
    2009 Mercedes C220 CDi
    2006 Desert Wolf Leo
    2004 Mitsubishi Colt 2.8TDi DC 4x4 Rodeo (Junie 2004 - Febr 2013)
    2004 VW Polo 1.4 TDi (Verkoop)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast