Howling Moon - Nebula 3mx3m

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Pretoria / Motopi Village, Northern Botswana

Default Howling Moon - Nebula 3mx3m

Hi Guys & Dolls,

We are looking at buying our first tent and have been looking around at plenty different makes, types, fabrics etc etc and have brought it down to the following...

We MUST be able to stand up in it, have plenty of space for at least TWO adults and ONE child and have ample ventilation. It must be as light as possible and pack up as small as possible and must also fit our budget.

Our conclusion is the Howling Moon Nebula NYLON DOME tent - 3mx3m x 1.9m high.

It weighs in at only 10.5kg and packs up pretty compactly. It retails for R1200 + R1200 for the extension.

Any experiences with this tent ? ...thoughts ?

Thanks

Trev
    Last edited by Trevor_Mathews; 2006/11/14 at 11:43 AM.
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 SW with extras
    2019 Jaguar Inkwe 4 Offroad Caravan

Hi Trev,

We have the bigfoot dome & extension (canvas) and are very happy with it regarding space. The extension feels twice as big as the dome, so definately get it.

I can't comment on the Nylon but none of Howling Moon's other products have let me down so I trust the brand.

Just remember that 1.9m is the hight right in the middle of the tent so make sure that it's not so short that you and SWAMBO can't both stand upright at the same time.
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for feedback and info. I'll check out the height.

Trev

Default Tents

Hi Trev,
    Have to echo Stefan's comments. I have the Howling Moon stratus dome and extention and my wife and I can easily stand up in it. The material seems to be halfway between nylon and canvas and has given me excellent service so far.

Johann du Toit
    06 Sorento 3.5A - sadly sold.
    07 Colt D/C 3.0
    Next - 110 Defender - got it now!
    T104

Bartho Guest

Trev,

I also have the Nebula, two of them in fact, and there's nothing wrong with them. IMHO the best of the nylon tents is the Howling Moon ones.

Try and wait till December, they allways come down with their prices then and last year it went from R1 200 to R995.

Trev

One piece of advice I can offer is to go to the store that sell the tent you are interested in and have them erect it for you fully and time them while watching closely. Then at the same store or at another if they complain, try erecting it yourself and see if it feels easy to do. I have seen guys with good looking tents struggle their backside of to errect their tents. My farther in law for instance have a Camp Master Lagoon Family something or the other (maybe not the best tent in the market) and even though it is fairly large the old people can set up and beak down the tent rather quickly.

Thanks for all the info guys...MUCH appreciated !

A gut I work with bought his for a VERY special price (I think they made a HUGE mistake) and paid only R699 for it !!!

Thanks I'm only planning to buy next month anyhow so will see what sort of specials I can get. I want to buy the extension too...

Bennie, ja, we will go and look at it in detail before buying...I've only seen the photos of it on their website. However it's erecting is the same as another mate of mine's canvas dome...which my wife and I erected in a matter of 5 minutes so...

Johan...I cannot find the tent youmention on their website...what is the height of your tent ? ...how tall are you ?

Trev
    Last edited by Trevor_Mathews; 2006/11/15 at 09:08 AM.

Default Tents

Hi Trev,
    I am guessing but I think the height must be between 2.0 to 2.2 metres high. I am 1.83 metres (6') and have plenty of room above my head. The floor area is 3 x 3. I purchased the tent from Comet Caravans in Boksburg and if memory serves correct at R1 700-00 for the tent. The extention was more expensive but cant remember how much. The extention is also 3 x 3 but more of an " A " frame shape and definately a two man job to erect. The sides of the extention are zipped on and are easily detached. I am sure any caravan center with a Campworld outlet should be able to give you more info. Happy hunting!

Forgot to add the tent has plenty of guy ropes attached so if the weather turns nasty you can really peg it down!
    Last edited by Sorento; 2006/11/15 at 10:26 AM.

Johann du Toit
    06 Sorento 3.5A - sadly sold.
    07 Colt D/C 3.0
    Next - 110 Defender - got it now!
    T104

Smile

Hi KZTE

You will enjoy the Nebula - we have only had pleasant experiences for more than two years to date. Some advise:

1. Get the extention - it adds a lot of space with flexibility to use as you wish.
    2. After you hace received the tent, get yourself better quality tent pegs.
    3. The original tent bag is small - I got our family a huge bag and it works much better!

Enjoy your Nebula!

Regards

Default Nebula

Geart tents. I echo Ranger 1's responce. Howling Moon has discontinued the Nebula but replaced it with the same tent, just different coulors. You can get the Nebula at a great price if they still have stock. The new ones cost between R 1200 -R 1300. The extention is also around R 1200. Try and get the Nebula and the extention at a bargain.

It can withstand 50mil rain in half an hour. I know because I stayd in one in Botswana. The other dome tents including canvas was wet inside.

Enjoy
    " Dogmatix"
    Landcruiser 79 Double Cab V6 BF's KM2
    Kenwood VHF
    Echo 3 Off-road trailer
    Bridgestone D673
    www.bospelle.co.za

Bartho Guest

I bought two Nebula's and had the extension modified so one can slot the 2'nd tent in on either the left or the right handside.

The comment about decent tent-pegs is definately spot-on, the standard ones are up to [email protected] and is IMHO the only downside of this range.

On the issue of getting the tent back into the "small" bag, get your wife to help you, practise and it does become quite easy.

The only frustrating thing for me is the "slot-in" frame that must be manuevred through the crevases to shape the tent but I suppose one has that issue with most tents.

Trev

I have the Nebula 3x3 tent for a few years and can recommend this tent, as it had withstand several rain and wind storms without any problems. I also suggest that you buy the extension and better tent pegs, at one or other stage. I am 1.85m and standing up straight inside the tent is no problem.

Enjoy!!

AWESOME, thanks for all the comments. I didn't know they had discontinued the nebula. When I called them the other day to enquire about the Nebula they were happy to help and made no mention of it being discontinued.

Anyhow, will be buying early in december...

Trev

Big Hilux Guest

I have a canvas 3mx3m tent, it is in excellent condition and I find it very easy to erect, a person basically puts up the frame work and then you just clip it on, it hangs in place, it is hardy can take exteme weather conditions. It is called a
    Tamboti Senior sold by Outdoor Warehouse.

Thanks for the reply Simon, my only hassle with the canvas 3x3m is that it does NOT pack up small enough, is bulky and weighs in at considerably more than the equivalent nylon.

Trev

Wink Nebula Tents

KZTE

Have you had any luck finding a nice deal? Have you seen the new product? When are you going camping?

Cheers!
    RANGER 1

aka Staal

It's a Ford thing - please try to understand!!

Ford Mondeo ST 220
    Ford Ranger 2.5 DC 4x4 ( Camil suspension / Navstar / Garmin 5 / Dual battery system / MT / AT etc.
    Venter Bushbaby with some goodies!

www.bospelle.co.za

Hey Ranger 1,

Not been looking yet, I believe they run specials over December so waiting for Dec to come then I'll go have a squizz.

We were planning to possibly do Botswana or Zambia in March next year but with us finding out yesterday that my wife is preggies again...so may just go and camp in Marakele or something like that...

Trev

Does anybody know what the new replacement is for the Nebula? I see that Outdoor Warehouse sells 360 Degrees tents now. Is this what's taken over from Howling Moon?
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Spike, Howling Moon is only available thru Campworld. They are part of the Jurgens group. I see on their web that they still have the Nebula.
    2013 Subaru Forester XS<br>2012 Victory Vegas 8 Ball

Hi guys,
    This is the new ones. I do not like the low flaps at the bottom. I'll still go for the Nebula.
    Enjoy
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 3620
Size:  28.3 KB
    Last edited by Impi; 2006/11/27 at 08:24 AM.
    " Dogmatix"
    Landcruiser 79 Double Cab V6 BF's KM2
    Kenwood VHF
    Echo 3 Off-road trailer
    Bridgestone D673
    www.bospelle.co.za

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast