KJ Radio upgrade/iPod setup

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default KJ Radio upgrade/iPod setup

Was getting kinda OT on the other thread so moving here for more input from you wise folks (see below for beginning of this conversation)

I am looking to make my standard Jeep radio Ipod compatible or replace with a new radio that is; this is the thread so far:

Quote Originally Posted by Mielie 84 View Post
    JB and Allan, I ordered the iPod interface from a place called Wantitall, south african site that gets stuff from Amazon. Delivery around 3 weeks, just keep the heat on them otherwise they take long...The product name and code is PA11 CHR, here it is attached. Plugs into the CD shuttle port at the back of the factory radio and you set up 6 playlists on the iPod and these are then the 'cd's' in the 'shuttle'. Installation is a breeze, If you decide to get one, I will tell you how I installed it, iPod stays in the box between the seats where it connects to the interface. Works very well, sound is awesome and you can use your normal radio or steering wheel controls. Very happy with the product! Don't pay more than R1600 to R1700 for it. PM me and I'll send the link!
    Cheers
    I can't believe that a simple Aux jack cannot be installed on the existing radio surely that is the easiest solution?!?

Quote Originally Posted by sclater View Post
    Looking at the diagram and picture of the dash it should be pretty easy to fit an aftermarket radio as the existing one looks to be bigger than a single din and the radio is actually has a rectangular shape:

1) Remove existing radio
    2) Cut a new metal plate (or make a fibreglass one) that will cover the existing radio hole (aka a rectangular plate that screws into the holes the existing radio screws into)
    3) Cut out hole for aftermarket radio in new cover plate
    4) Apply some fake carbon fibre sheeting and cover new plate (or spray paint it black, etc).
    5) Fit aftermarket radio, new coverplate and existing dash trim.

Edited to add some inspiration

Double DIN unit - http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39076
    Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 2010/08/25 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Added all the input so far...

2008 Ford Ranger 3.0TDCi 4x4
    GONE '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 Overland
    GONE '03 Jeep Cherokee 2.8CRD Ltd
    GONE '89 2.6 Mazda Drifter 4x4

I will keep a close eye on this. I am also interested to upgrade the audio in the jeep...

Only have 300kms left till the maintenance plan is up!..

I was also thinking in the line of a Double Din radio, with navigation, and either Infinity or JBL Pro series. with a small 12" in the boot?
    I like anything with 4 or more wheels...

So... my next question is:

How am I going to get the radio controls on the steering wheel to work with a after market radio?

Any one keen to get in on the design of a coooool new plate for my radio?

Quote Originally Posted by KB300 View Post
    I was also thinking in the line of a Double Din radio, with navigation, and either Infinity or JBL Pro series. with a small 12" in the boot?
    Lol @ KB300 -- "small 12" I like your style... why not dream bigger?? http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products...jackhammer.cfm

DUDE.. I like that "tweeter"!!!! wont fit in the Jeep if I want to go camping for 2 weeks!.. might fit a few to the suz... the 12" is getting to soft, or I am going deaf!..

Huh?? What did you sayy??

Methinks that that would cause some damage to ones eardrums - I'll get the radio sorted and then its time to install some "tweeters"

I solved my faceplate issue with the Velociti by using another Face-plate converter that I purchased from an audio shop for R50. Rather stuff up and cut up a cheap plate than the original expensive one.

Cheers
    Van

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post

How am I going to get the radio controls on the steering wheel to work with a after market radio?
    You will need an adapter

http://www.pac-audio.com/productSear...2003&YearId=14
    '99 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0 @ 143000km
    "Frankenstein" 5" lift | Nomad Bumpers | Safari Snorkel | Gorman rocksliders | Khumo 31x10.5x15 | Jerry can holders | 29Mhz Radio | Custom roof rack | Dual Battery | ARB onboard compressor

You should be able to - just make sure you buy a compatible HU.

I asked my local install guys about the faceplate and they said they could get me one for R450. In the end i didn't go for it as i was already over shooting my budget.

I'm so sick of fiddling with frigging CD's etc though - so thinking to look into it again.

If only we had services like in the states. Have a look here - brilliant website that outfits your vehicle for you and then they ship everything you need including adapters etc etc http://www.crutchfield.com/ - click on car audio and then outfit my car`
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

The simplest way to get Ipod into your OEM radio is an FM transmitter. The type that plugs into the aerial socket at the back of the radio. I have had great success with this. And I have the ipod and another one for a CD changer. I then ran a headphone jack wire down through the centre console and out through the handbrake hole. I plug in the ipod and it plays to the radio. I left plenty of slack on the cable so I can use it easily while driving.

Talk softly, carry a big stick.

Hi biggles,

I am very interested, where do one get a unit like this and what is the normal price on a unit like this?

Thanks

Pierre
    Live today as if itís your last day to make a change in this world. Cause tomorrow is promised to no one.

Driving the BEST 4x4's

I got mine at a car audio place. The guy was quite peeved because he had been in the process of selling me a Ipod compatable headunit when I spotted that gem on a shelf behind him... I think it cost R250 or there abouts. Call around local car audio places. Cannot find anything online...
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

This looks interesting
    http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=782

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piechry02pcpod2.html

Sorry i see this is similar to what was originally posted - i'd pay R750 for that
    Last edited by Quiksilver; 2010/08/29 at 09:12 PM.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

I'm going to order myself one of these for a friend to bring back on the weekend...

any one else in?
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Not me (for now) - hoping you can give really positive feedback tho so that I can make up my mind now!!

(working on faceplate and new radio idea)
    Keep me updated please Quicksilver!

street wire in newcastle quoted me R400 for the bracket you need to fit a normal radio. I have a dvd player that i took out my hardbody and want to fit in my jeep.
    COUPER-ZN
    2015 Toyota Fortuner 3l D4D
    2011 Bmw 320d M sport

Look what i'm getting on Tuesday?

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/pione...l-p-11090.html

With one of these - http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/conne...ia-p-9896.html

Will show you the results once done
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

So all my stuff arrived back with my Mom from the UK yesterday.

Installed the new headunit with facia adapter, I also opted for the cable converter so everything was really easy to do.

I must say i'm pretty happy with the result, the facia adapter is made from good quality plastic and "almost" fits perfectly. Certainly to high enough finish for me, the Jeep dash is hardly a display in perfect panel gaps.

Sound from the new HU is awesome, comes with dedicated front back and sub outs which i sgreat for me as everything now runs on its own channel to the amp. especially the sub out where you can adjust the level from the HU, perfect for when you changing Genres of music and want to raise or lower you sub level accordingly.

Also they HU has built in filters, so i can set the high and low pass filters direct from the HU, giving a really nice level of adjust-ability. after playing with the settings the sound level is noticably better than the standard HU with a high low converter.

BUT, the best bit must be being able to use a USB, or iPod (my current one is too old so have not tested this yet- 4th gen) and SD card to play music. I use the USB now for playing new music and inserted a 2GB SD card with my familiar favorite albums on. Kinda like you would have have a 6 cd shuttle with your favorites.

I did have one little prob in that i cant find the correct adapter for the aerial which is bit of a pain although i McGyvered it with a piece of wire which works reasonably well.

Also i would have liked it if the HU had a rear USB port too so i could leave my iPod or whatever in the cubby... but that costs more

All in all i'm vey happy considering I spent R1400 including facia adapter, wireing harness adapter (made it such an easy install) and Head Unit

See pics - sorry about Berry image quality

--
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

That looks awesome Quicksilver, fits in very nicely with the console there...

You haven't mentioned whether the HU is compatible with the steering controls?!?

That looks awesome Quicksilver, fits in very nicely with the console there...

You haven't mentioned whether the HU is compatible with the steering controls?!?
    It does have inputs for the Steering wheel controls. Although i wasn't able to test this as i unfortunately have the Sport which doesn't have steering wheel controls

The SW input looks a little like an audio jack, can anyone confirm what the standard input from the steering wheel controls looks like?
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast