Electric fan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Electric fan

Default Electric fan

For the benefit of little4X4, and anybody else, I am posting these photos of my fan installation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0329.jpg 
Views:	752 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	68793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0330.jpg 
Views:	1442 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	68794  
    2012 Freelander 2 SD4 SE
    Offtrax Outplay

Dankie Oom,

Ek waardeur dit.
    Now a 3.2 Auto - BT-50, long range tank, Mazda branded re-placement bumper, Duel battery, Takla Seat covers, Rebuilt Engine, upgraded Inter cooler, upgraded Billet Turbo, Madman EMS. Coming soon upgraded Exhaust and small lift.
    Used to have - Kia Sportage MY 2002 Missus Hence (Little4by4)
    Used to have - Discovery 2 TD5 ES. Lifted - Spaced, Bigger wheels, Up-rated springs, Dual Bat, Inverter, Roof Rack, and much more... (The Blue Tank) Miss her badly....

I did something similar, but I fitted 2 x fans and I made a custom cowling. The fans I used were from a RunX. (In the RunX they only use 1 fan)
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Ja, Henris, but we have small karretjies
    2012 Freelander 2 SD4 SE
    Offtrax Outplay

Hello,
    Recently got my Kia!
    Its an auto so its a big sluggish! How big a difference did the electric fan made with regards to fuel consumption and power?
    Must confess, feel like an idiot. I though I would have to modify my radiator to fit the temperature switch....thanks for the photo with the obvious solution oom Gert!
    Hendrik
    2.5HP Triton

It's difficult to say what the before and after difference is when you can only use your perception......

Anyway, there is a marked improvement in fuel consumption as well as power. For the relatively low cost to do this conversion, it is worth the trouble.
    2012 Freelander 2 SD4 SE
    Offtrax Outplay

Hi, so I installed my electric fan and temperature switch. Works good while driving. Can feel a bit of extra oom. Will have to see about the feul consumption. During driving the temperature seems to be the same.

I do however have one problem. After I switched of the vehicle the fan will keep running for about 10-20 min. I have a 350mm fan and a 85-90 degree celcius switch. Is this norma? It seems like when I turn of the car the water stops flowing, and the fan blows the radiator cold but the temp switch takes longer to cool as its not very close to the radiator. I am thinking maybe I should re-wire my temp switch so that it will only get power when the ignition is turned on.

Any thoughts?
    Hendrik
    2.5HP Triton

Quote Originally Posted by mnrvermaak View Post
    It seems like when I turn of the car the water stops flowing, and the fan blows the radiator cold but the temp switch takes longer to cool as its not very close to the radiator. I am thinking maybe I should re-wire my temp switch so that it will only get power when the ignition is turned on.

Any thoughts?

Hendrik, thats exactly right.
    2012 Freelander 2 SD4 SE
    Offtrax Outplay

Quote Originally Posted by mnrvermaak View Post
    Hi, so I installed my electric fan and temperature switch. Works good while driving. Can feel a bit of extra oom. Will have to see about the feul consumption. During driving the temperature seems to be the same.

I do however have one problem. After I switched of the vehicle the fan will keep running for about 10-20 min. I have a 350mm fan and a 85-90 degree celcius switch. Is this norma? It seems like when I turn of the car the water stops flowing, and the fan blows the radiator cold but the temp switch takes longer to cool as its not very close to the radiator. I am thinking maybe I should re-wire my temp switch so that it will only get power when the ignition is turned on.

Any thoughts?
    I see you fitted the temp switch in the top hose. It should be fitted in the bottom hose. This way you measure the temp of the water flowing into the engine, so the fan will only switch on if the water flowing through the radiator is too hot. The water coming through the top is directly from the engine and will be very hot. It could prematurely trigger the switch. It could also set the fan off when at fairly high speed under load. If you put the switch in the bottom pipe then it will only switch on when the radiator is not cooling enough with availble airflow such as in traffic. Hope this makes sense.
    Deon Viljoen
    Boyscout

2012 Land Rover Defender 90 2.2 Tdci S/W Sold
    2005 D2 XS TD5 Auto sold at 189000km
    2003 D2 GS TD5 Auto sold at 165000km
    1999 D2 GS V8 Auto sold at 178000km

Listen to Boyscout guys, he is right. The temp switch must be on the bottom pipe.

And PLEASE, make sure the temp switch is a proper one. I had the problem on my Kia that the temp switch broke down twice(Cheap one ).

If you can wire an LED into the temp switch to show that it get power, pls do so.

But if you can get a car radiator where the temp switch sits in the radiator, it will also be better.

Goodday,

Can you give me a ball park cost of this conversion, please? I have a KAI Sportage 2000 model

Can't remember but the items you will need are not expensive. Go to your friendly parts shop and see what they've got. I should think R200 max if you do it yourself?
    2012 Freelander 2 SD4 SE
    Offtrax Outplay

Hello Ninja's

Oom Gert ek het 400mm fan opgesit - staan my radiator van kop tot toon en van links na regs voluit... dit is 'n TONII fan, ek dink... en was R350 by Midas Hillfox - en Mitsibitsi Tredia temp switch (Echlin) ingesit - R150. Die fan switch is ook op die onderste pyp gesit en loop soms so MAX 30 secondes nadat die voertuig afgesluit is.
    Ook het ek relay en die nodig fuse ingesit en LED na dashbord toe om te sien wanneer die fan inskop. Die veranderring van 'viscous fan' na electic fan toe is beslis die moeite werd en kan 'n goeie projek wees vir 'n Saterdagoggend voor Rugby en braai en hou jou veilig uit die kombuis indien SWAMBO dalk beoog dat jy kan help met die skottelgoed.

2MinuteNoodles as jy 2 linker hande het, dan sal ek met graagde (graag = bier + tjop ) vir jou die joppie doen.
    2006 Hilux 3.0d4d d/c 4x4
    2004 Isuzu 300tdi d/c
    1997 Isuzu d/c Frontier 4x4
    2002 Kia Sportage 4x4,own design manual hubs,lifted suspension,hella spots,bridgestone A/T plakkies, electric fan and soon to add branch and freeflow
    1949 Jeep Willy's Truck,FORD 352 V8,L/C suspension, diffs and transfer case,disc brakes all round, branches and freeflow...soon 37inch plakkies to follow
    1 x platkar

Can you answer two questions regarding this conversion for a non-techie like me;
    1. What is the consumption lift (as this is my main objective)? I currently get less than 400Km on a 60L tank.
    2. What is the rationale behind this conversion? Only power usage?

2Minute, welcome here..

The rational is that you have a 2-3kW fan (strain) on your motor when running a viscous fan. They do provide more airflow than an electrical fan, but only when matched with a 0.6-0.8kW fan.

The electric fans (dare I say it) is more effective than the viscous fan. They are placed directly on the radiator and provide slightly less flow for much less power usage. Viscous fans always run, even when not turned on where as electrical fans only kick in when required.

Saving will be dependent on strain provided by fan itself and then the percentage of power it takes from the motor. Larger motors will feel less of an effect and thus have less gains.

1990 Toyota Hilux - In process..
    The more people I meet the more I like my dog..
    Real 4x4's have splash guards, not sump guards..

Hi,
    As far as I understand it you alternator is always charging your battery at a constant input. As long as you are not consistently using more energy then the amount your alternator is supplying you will not run into any problems. You battery my run a little warmer but that's about it.

After my conversation I got an improvement of about 1km/l. The three main advantages I experienced are the following
    1. Money saving from the better fuel consumption (About R50 per fill up)
    2. Longer range due to better fuel consumption. The 50km extra range makes a huge improvement.
    3. The car definitely pulls a little better without the viscous fan.

This is a modification I would definitely recommend to anyone owning a Sportage
    Hendrik
    2.5HP Triton

Cool Electric fan conversion

Well, I've been contemplating the electric fan conversion for a while now, but the Kia has made up it own mind to do it _now_. The original fan bracket's bearing has packed up and collapsed.

The first my wife knew about this was when the fan (which was now drooping due to the bracket bearing collapsing) started chewing through the fan shroud and fan belt. The fan belt snapped, but luckily she wasn't far from home and drove it home like that - doesn't look like the engine overheated (so far).

Anyway, so I removed the fan, bracket and shroud, and will sommer replace all the belts, and upper and lower coolant hoses. The vehicle has about 150k km on it, so I can just as well do it now.

I'll go source a fan and temp switch during the week. I intend to mount it on the bottom (return) pipe. Not sure which temp range to use, but as far as I know the thermostat opens at 89 deg C, so I might start with a temp switch in the 95-100 range.

Any suggestions are welcome..

Use the 16" fan, it works ideal, normal heat switch, I think its part nr is ST170 or something. Let a radiator place make you a t piece up, but buy the better temp switch. I had failures on my 1st switch where the vibration makes the plastic seal on the switch come loose and the Kia overheated. And a proper 4 prong relay.

Use a 30A fuse inline as well. Pity I threw my brackets away, otherwise I could have helped you with that.

Hope you come right. You'll need a shorter fan belt as well I think. So start early so you can find the spare shop open. He-he

rynhardth, I would use a colder switch.. If you place it after your radiator chances are you will already have to much heat and the fan will simply fall behind.. after fitting it you will soon see a new operating temp on your gauge, simply adjust from there..

1990 Toyota Hilux - In process..
    The more people I meet the more I like my dog..
    Real 4x4's have splash guards, not sump guards..

On the 80 it is on the bottom hose and only switches on the fans at 82degC. Works a charm.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast