Users grading / reports of 4x4 trails

Default Users grading / reports of 4x4 trails

Hi All,
    I think we should start a sticky here that gives report back from 4x4 owners that went on different trails. This report must have certain criteria and a score linked to that. For example: grading of obstacles, frequency of obstacles, possibility of damage to body/tyres, Branches/plants to scratch paintwork of vehicles, if unguided how well is it signposted, scenery (vegetation/game/birding etc), Drivers personal opinion of trail (no words, just on a ten piont scale) , , , , others might add more,,.

All to often the short descriptions found about various trails are misleading and leads to disappiontment. If this industry is to be regulated and properly controlled then the users must also have an input in the description of trails.
    I find that all to often trail "bossses/owners" charge very high fees for using the trails but there is no maintanance. By that I mean cutting back of branches, making sure the trail is clear of fallen trees, all gates are unlocked or that they actually have the keys etc. Nothing so disappointing as to have to turn back becuase a tree has blocked off a part of a trail or farmgates that should be open are locked, or if you were ensured that there are no branches that scratch vehicles only to find you have to do all the trimming and cutting yourself.
    Why are we then paying for the use of the trail.
    A sticky with comments of users will benefit others and promote those trails where the owners are giving you your money's worth. I think the important issue here is that after reading info like this the user will know better what he/she is in for. my 2c worth.
    JoenelSilver Rubicon Unlimited4" lift, 33" Maxxis, 4,88 diffs, Ford Ranger 2.2 Auto 4x4 D/C

There are too many humans factors involved here, and unless there was a subjective method of doing do I not believe it is doable.

OK, I understand the human factor,maybe too much, but when you go on a trail that you have paid for,advertising that the trail is clearly marked,they give you a copy of a trail map that was probably done by anybody who passed woodwork-just. Then most of the trail numbers have either gone or the wrong way around,the trail itself is disgusting,I'm not talking about difficulty of ANY trail.I'm talking about the guys who sit in there 'offices' , taking up to R225 a day for a trail that is NOT clearly mapped.
    But I'm getting used to this 'rip the guy off attitude'-Get the dosh, forget the after sales service,sad,isn't it.
    A legend in his own mind

The problem here is not the reporting of the issue, but knowing when it is no longer an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by incrediblebob View Post
    taking up to R225 a day for a trail that is NOT clearly mapped.
    But I'm getting used to this 'rip the guy off attitude'-Get the dosh, forget the after sales service,sad,isn't it.
    It seems that the latest tendencies are to charge R450-00 / day. When you contact trail masters they say sorry the advertised prices are outdated.
    JoenelSilver Rubicon Unlimited4" lift, 33" Maxxis, 4,88 diffs, Ford Ranger 2.2 Auto 4x4 D/C

Joenel
    This seems to be a new and very nasty trend a lot of "service providers" are adopting.
    "Let's try and rip the customer a second one"
    Have noticed it with quite a few establishments involved with service, parts and leisure.

Route markings and maintenance are very important on trails. It's not about getting lost, I'm sure everyone on this forum can afford a GPS.
    It's about coughing up money I worked hard for, only to tackle a trail with no proper route markings and then ending up missing an obstacle or three due to the owners lack of maintenance. Just my 2c

hi
    Joenel,I must agree with you on maintenance of the trails, i have just been to a trail today for the first time, me being new to 4x4ing and also my first trail, i found the trail not to be well maintained in terms of branches not being cleared and logs accross the trail, i thought it was part of the obsticale course at first but then found that it was not, but then again being my first trail i was up to any challenge, but i just feel the trail could be better maintained but then again it was winter, i hope they plan to clear it in summer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my 1st 4x4 trail 068.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	69211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my 1st 4x4 trail  log.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	69212  

Default mmmm

Hi,

I agree somewhat with Joenel. Especially the branches thing.

When you are overlanding 100's of K's or just mucking about the fountain then you take your chances. If you get pinstriped then so be it. If you find a downed tree or brocken log bridge or rockfall or impossible obstacle..ditto

When you are paying good bucks for a few K's of trail then it should be maintained and sign posted and properly graded for level of difficulty.

A whole new subject is trail ratings. Advertised rating, Grade 3, real world, Grade 5 with no turning back or escape routes. Or vise versa.

Interrestingly, the best trails I have been on are guided trails. Guided either by the trails paid guide or owner, or by local guys that know the ropes.

Just dont sell me on a story, I then travel hours or days and then find an unmapped trail in bad condition that damages my car due to no maintenance.

Cheers
    Keith
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Hi GAFRICA. Where was the pictures taken ?

hi relec,i have not spoken to the trail owners yet and dont want to bad mouth the trail as yet, may be there is a reasonable explanation.

I have been on most trails here in my area. Most if not, the majority are roads that were made long time ago for farming or getting from one farm to another or for maintanence purposes...eg Cell phone towers ...
    It is a costly bussiness to maintain a trail and the amount of income the owner receives is minimal. Some times he has no one for months. Most of the farms arent economically viable anymore.....
    Yes i agree that some have gone to rack and ruin, and some so badly corrugated and dangerous that we dont use anymore....
    We average approx R150 to R 200 per trail..........at R450-00 i expect that includes a lunch and a gift :
    Ratings is or are ,a debatable issue, i just take it as a guide to what to expect.
    For all mountain trails, you should have good ground clearance and low range period. I am generalising here. There are some that dont require this.
    Last edited by OFFROAD ADDICT; 2010/09/02 at 07:29 PM.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Some interesting comments above! I was recently paging through the first edition of Drive Out from 2000. Back then the costs averaged R150 pv for the trail and R30 pppn to camp. If pricing had kept pace with most other consumer products over the last 10 years, we should be paying around R450 pv and R75pppn.

There is a classic dilema at work here.

The trails are under threat from DEA. The trail owners find it hugely expensive to maintain them so as to keep them open and available to us users.

The trail users need to spend in order to support the whole system. So visit trails regularly and do your bit for the offroad sector!! That was a bit tongue in cheek, but if we keep complaining about the cost of trails, the land owners are likely to just close their trails, UNLESS we can come up with a workable, self-sustaining business model for trail owners.

I like the comment about the best experiences have been on guided experiences.

Any comments, suggestions?
    Last edited by Philip Scott; 2010/09/01 at 12:13 PM.

Default Free

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Scott View Post
    Some interesting comments above! I was recently paging through the first edition of Drive Out from 2000. Back then the costs averaged R150 pv for the trail and R30 pppn to camp. If pricing had kept pace with most other consumer products over the last 10 years, we should be paying around R450 pv and R75pppn.

There is a classic dilema at work here.

The trails are under threat from DEA. The trail owners find it hugely expensive to maintain them so as to keep them open and available to us users.

The trail users need to spend in order to support the whole system. So visit trails regularly and do your bit for the offroad sector!! That was a bit tongue in cheek, but if we keep complaining about the cost of trails, the land owners are likely to just close their trails, UNLESS we can come up with a workable, self-sustaining business model for trail owners.

I like the comment about the best experiences have been on guided experiences.

Any comments, suggestions?
    Hi,

How about trail owners organise a free day once a month.

Us guys arrive on the day with macheties, branch saws, spades and goodies.

We drive the trails, repairing, cutting, filling in ruts etc with rocks, etc etc and have a lekker braai afterwards.

WIN, WIN

Cheers
    Keith
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Did a trail last weekend - normally the farmer personally leads each group. As our tour guide had already done the trail, the farmer sat this one out. PERFECT ! Clearly this farmer keeps his hand on the trail.

It was advertised as a 2 to 3 rating. A few bits got close to 4. With the FIRST section being the most difficult. The nice part of this is that nobody could get to a point in the trail which they could not handle with no place to turn around.

All this for R150.

Then there is a local trail where there has been NO sign of maintenace in the last 2 years. By the number of vehicle I have seen here the owner must be pocketing 5 to 10k per month, certainly enough to take better care of the cash cow ....

As for ratings - as a newbie the concept of dry vs wet rating caught me off gaurd ! A 2 to 3 in the dry clay surface can easily become a slipery 5 when wet.

Hey Chris, you're so right about wet ratings vs dry ratings.

Use a qualified guide where ever possible - so much more to offer!

Quote Originally Posted by GAFRICA View Post
    hi relec,i have not spoken to the trail owners yet and dont want to bad mouth the trail as yet, may be there is a reasonable explanation.

I was only asking because the pictures looks nice. Looks interesting. If you dont want to post the trail name here please send me a PM