Default Watch out for MBSA Mitsubishi warranty -Colt

I am having a bad shudder in my club cab 2,8tdi - purchased in june 2009 ; with 38000 km ;i contacted MBSA head office after my service dealer asked for R900+ to remove and skim the front discs ; so MBSA H/O warranty position is that the shudder is to be repaired and will not be covered under warranty or the service plan !
    So to all Colt owners be advised the shudder is caused by front disk defects and MBSA excuse is a poor excuse to throw wool over one's eyes and not pay for the replacement of clearly inferior poor quality parts fitted as OEM parts!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayefe View Post
    So to all Colt owners be advised the shudder is caused by front disk defects and MBSA excuse is a poor excuse to throw wool over one's eyes and not pay for the replacement of clearly inferior poor quality parts fitted as OEM parts!
    Friction materials are not covered under any warranty that I am aware of - and that includes disks...
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

A Maintenance plan will cover it.

Yip, not covered by the warranty or the normal service plan. It's clearly stated as such in the owners manual of my 2008 Triton.

So you can pay R380 000 for a new 4x4 D/C and a few months later the front discs disintegrate/warp or what ever and they WILL NOT pay to have it fixed....!? That is just bullsh^%$#t....
    Your brakes is a safety critical item and yes I know friction materials are not covered by a maintenance plan but surely with a vehicle that only has 38 000km in the clock...it is still brand new!!!!!
    What is your vehicle warrenty for then...? Any manufacturers defects or brakages right? So why won't they do it....?! Barto, I understand that they say so in the owners manual add that is valid for the scheduled maintenance intervals but that is just shocking.....

Jayefe, If you have to bite the bullet on this one I would suggest going to an independant to have your brakes done and use the MBSA agent only for your services to stamp your book...
    Last edited by offroad junky; 2010/08/22 at 02:08 AM.
    Offroad junky
    '97 SsangYong Musso 602 EL exec
    '14 Citroen DS4 2.0 HDI swambo's platkar

Previously;
    '03 Nissan HB 3.0TD D/C 4x4
    '07 Hilux D4D D/C 4x4
    '16 Ford Ranger 2.2 DC XL Hi-Rider
    '12 Disco 4 SDV6 SE - Beauty
    '06 Disco 3 TDV6 S (De-cat, EGR blanked, remap, Johnson rods suspension rods, 285/65-R17 Kuhmo KL61) - Beast
    '04 Terracan 3.5 V6
    '96 Ssang Yong Musso 602 (non turbo manual)
    '04 Ford Ranger 2.5 TDI D/C 4x4 with Solid front axle and 33" Maxxis

MBSA is pretty pathetic, my catalysts packed up on the ML @ about 100 000km. I had a paper that there were defects on these CATS and that they packed up at about 100 000km and that MBUSA extended the warranty to 160 000km or 10 years. Took this to MBSA and they acted like a couple of crazy chickens in a coop. They say only gauranteed for 2 years, or I can cough up a nice R80 000 for it (Evil money dollar signs in their eyes because MBSA cares so much for your environmentm!!!) while the car is still under maintenence plan. I just cut them out.

Well Gents thanks for the comments ! yes it is rather poor their line of sight ! i will replace the brake discs and pads , thinking of powerbrake? (i think that is the brand name) aftermarket discs; yes i worked for the OEM/components industry for 15 years and can assure you that the issue with judder is discs that are defective e.g too much warpping due to distortion after high temp when breaking ; i took a trip to moz Tete province and cahora bassa when i first bought the car last year and it was heavy going in places towing a conqueror off road trailer , but that is not an excuse for the bad judder now ; the warranty is for 100000km or 24 months ; the judder is not wear and tear ; it is root cause lies in less/ inferior performance / reliability issue of the safety critical characteristics of a safety critical item ;MBSA knows that ;so they even have damage control under warranty so that they don't have to pay more for inferior poor OEM quality components that they accepted into their east london assembly plant; it is all in the quality/reliability versus engineering budget to accomodate the mass production of the vehicles.So yes i will take up the car to an independent guy and replace the discs and pads at the same time (quote for the powerbrake brand and pads = +-R2800). Rgds to all .

The Colts should never have there discs Skimmed!!!!!!

They are +-R200 each and should rather be replaced.

They are very sensitive to hard braking and getting wet when they are hot. They warp very easily.

No warranty with ant manufacturer will cover friction material.

So replace the discs and just be aware of your driving style and they should last 200 000km. So if you take offence, none intended but thats a fact...

2002 Colt, 2.8 tdi Rodeo, 4x4, ARB Bull Bar, Excalliber Running Boards, Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks, Cooper AT3's, Excel 53l long range tank, National Luna Dual Battery System, Campmaster 80l Fridge/Freezer Combo, FrontRunner Fridge slide and Bin Slide, Alpha Gte Canopy with FrontRunner Roof Rack and Homemade Awning...Pulling a Caravan sometimes

A few years ago I had exactly the same problem with a Ford ranger - brake judder . 30 000km
    The Dealer tried to charge me for skimming the discs - I point blank refused and demanded they get Ford on the line for me. They came back a few minutes later and agreed to carry the cost - not vast but the principle counts.
    The gaurantee clearly states that it will not cover wear items "such as brake pads" On this basis they wished to turn down my claim.It does not specifically exclude Discs.
    My response was that the Discs are not wear items - the pads are designed to be softer and wear out preferentially . The pads are the sacrificial wear items.
    Further I insisted that the warped discs had nothing to do with wear - they were associated with defective materials. Or possibly wet roads - which is what all my other cars had also experienced without warped Discs.Cars do travel in the rain.
    Additionally I stated that whereas we all know that discs do wear out eventually - so does every part in the car by definition - and this does not exclude every part from gaurantee.

Dave

Same problem,
    VW Polo, 21 000 Km. Front disks warped. Had to pay for them myself.
    Also had the same argument, invited the salesman for a braai at my house.....
    He never pitched.

Plenty brake problems. Maintenance plan. Fixed every time.
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Plenty brake problems. Maintenance plan. Fixed every time.
    As I said.

Jayefe... does your disc brake disc problem come and go, or constant? To make a long story short, have your front wheel bearings torqued.

To do it yourself properly you will need aspecial tool of R800.