Is the Scorpion the right tyre for me? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Stop me please

I am going to have 265/65/17 Scorpions fitted to my Paj tomorrow. Please stop me if I am making a mistake. Andre?
    ----------------------------------------------
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB
    OME suspension, Geolander G12 tyres, NL dual battery system, Windcheater roof rack, Mellville & Moon seat covers

Did a lot of driving yesterday. It is just eerie how quiet the Scorpions are on a very smooth surface, gone is the slight whine I had on the HT tyres, one would think it to be the other way round....
    Andre Botha
    2006 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB, Gomad bash plates. Monroe Adventure shocks.

Are the Scorpion muds still available?
    D2 V8. Pro Comp MX6 Shocks with Mikem Custom Progressive Coils. Wildcat Headers. 265/75/16 Hankook RT03's. FLI Audio. Kaiser Locker.

Quote Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
    Are the Scorpion muds still available?
    Contact forum member Jaco Bredencamp from Autoquip, he has special prices for us.

Default Great Experience

I am writing this from the (free) coffee shop at Autoquip in Tygervalley. The whole experience is very civilized with good coffee, internet access, putting lawn, current magazines and newspapers while you wait. And a great view of the Tygerberg. Very professional.

And the prices are great too. I am paying R500 less per tyre than the best quotes I got elsewhere. I am dealing with Jaques, who gives good service and communicates well and promptly via email as well.

They seem to cater for 4x4 well with displays of Ironman stuff and off-road tyres. Lots of rims, but nothing that will fit my Pajero.

Highly recommended. Thanks Andre......
    Last edited by JayKay; 2010/09/17 at 09:24 AM.
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB
    OME suspension, Geolander G12 tyres, NL dual battery system, Windcheater roof rack, Mellville & Moon seat covers

Default Experience with Scorpions

Had the Scorpions fitted on Friday. So far I am very happy with them. They are much more comfortable and quiter than the Coopers I had.

However, they seem a bit narrower than the Coopers, despite both being 265/65/17........wonder why?
    Last edited by JayKay; 2010/09/19 at 06:24 PM.
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB

Default Happy Scorpion ATR owner

Negotiated a much better price on a set of Pirelli ATR's from Tiger W&T Paarl (consistantly excelelnt service over 8 years from Kurt Janneman) two weeks ago. Drove Wellington to Namibia on N7. No additional road noise compared to Wrangler HP's. Actually just forgot about tyres on tar, full stop! Short detour in Namibia. First left to Aussenkehr & along North bank of Orange to Sendelingdrift pont with a very rocky track to a viewpoint along the way. Tyres at 1.9 compared to 2.2. To Potjiespram and Hand of God in Richterveldt, then out at Sendelingsdrift to Alexander Bay = approx 80k dirt at about 80k/h on a lot of "sinkplaat". Good grip, no punctures. Very happy with my choice. Thanks for all the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelh View Post
    Negotiated a much better price on a set of Pirelli ATR's from Tiger W&T Paarl (consistantly excelelnt service over 8 years from Kurt Janneman) two weeks ago. Drove Wellington to Namibia on N7. No additional road noise compared to Wrangler HP's. Actually just forgot about tyres on tar, full stop! Short detour in Namibia. First left to Aussenkehr & along North bank of Orange to Sendelingdrift pont with a very rocky track to a viewpoint along the way. Tyres at 1.9 compared to 2.2. To Potjiespram and Hand of God in Richterveldt, then out at Sendelingsdrift to Alexander Bay = approx 80k dirt at about 80k/h on a lot of "sinkplaat". Good grip, no punctures. Very happy with my choice. Thanks for all the advice.
    What did you pay? What size?
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB

Paid R1 925 per tyre all inclusive. Originally quoted R2 300 approx but then got a quote of R1 830 on Bridgestone Duelers from another dealer before gong back. Kurt then phoned Pirelli and got stock at a lower price. Size 235/65/17 for the Freelander 2 S. I also took out the insurance at R210 per tyre once-off. This works out at about R70 p.m over 12 months. Insurance covers all offroad use as well. Just one claim over the next 18 months (quite possible as I plan to vist Tankwa and the Cederberg), even if claimed at 50% wear (ie. 50% x R2 300 replacement) still a net saving.

Dieselfan, what km's did you get on the Scorpions?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco D View Post
    Dieselfan, what km's did you get on the Scorpions?
    I used to have the earlier Scorpion AT not the ATR's. I had around 50k on them and they looked fine. Can't remember exactly how much left as it was almost 3 years ago.

We fitted ATR's to our D3 yesterday tho. Nice but they do look thin for a 245. Perhaps optical illusion...

Saw some GY MT/SA's on a cruiser. Nice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2