Is the Scorpion the right tyre for me?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is the Scorpion the right tyre for me?

I have to decide what to do tyre wise. I currently have Cooper Discoverer ATR on my Gen 3 Pajero LWB. The standard size is 265/65/17. I need to replace the front tyres, the rears are still fine. The Coopers seem to hold the road quite well, but they are very noisy and the ride is hard, even at 2 bar.

I do most of my travelling on tar, but go to the Kgalagadi a few times a year and doing Botswana/Caprivi/Etosha later this year. I do not do rock climbing or 4x4 trials. My Paj is pretty standard apart from having OME fitted, standard in front, medium at the rear. The OME has improved the ride comfort quite a bit.

After riding in a friend's SWB fitted with Dueller D840's and noticing the vastly improved ride comfort, I am thinking of changing brands. I do want an all-terrain rather than a highway-terrain tyre though. The D840 is very pricey at around R3200 and is H/T, so it is not an option.

I am considering the Pirelli Scorpion ATR as an option. They seem to get very high ratings by the Aussies as an AT tyre and are known for low noise and ride comfort. They will cost around R2500 per tyre, the same as the Coopers.

I had a long chat with a very helpful Andries at Pirelli's technical division. Looking at the tread patterns, I was worried that the new ATR looks more soft-roader than the chunkier older AT. He assured me that ATR is the way to go.

It does seem like many on this forum prefer the BF Goodrich AT option. Looking at the tread pattern, I suspect that they may be better off-road than the Pirellis, but will be noisier and harder on-road. Is that true?

My research is pointing me to the Scorpion as a comfortable, quiet tyre on the road, but still quite capable off-road. Is there another option I should be looking at?

I've used the Scorpion ATR. They are in my opinion the best All-Terrain tyre. Very little road noise, excellent gravel and sand performance and brilliant in the wet!

I have 265/70/17 Scorpion ATR's on my Patrol and have done about 30000km on them. Most of the km was on tar, but when I did go on sand/gravel/stones they performed very well. Road noise is very low and tyre wear is very good - no chipping or chunks falling off. And no punctures...

I had the Scorpion AT tyres on my Jeep. All I can say is that it is a fantastic all round tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by vanemmenis View Post
    I've used the Scorpion ATR. They are in my opinion the best All-Terrain tyre. Very little road noise, excellent gravel and sand performance and brilliant in the wet!
    Hoor hoor!

They outperformed any other AT I've had. I have a set on my Mazda 4x4 bakkie. They are nearly finished now at 50 000kms. I have a set on my Pajero and have done about 12000km's which included a trip to the Richtersveld and an overland trip to Zambia and malawi - towing a trailer. No problem.

My experience with other AT tyres:
    BFG - very hardy but dodgy on wet tar and noisy - good kilos.
    Bridgestone 694. Noisy and lots of flats including loss of tyres.
    GY Wrangler ATR - uselss - bounced along and were refunded after 18000km. Maybe new AT tyre is better.

Bostoe
    Last edited by bostoe; 2010/08/21 at 02:00 PM.

Default Scorpions

Hi,

Most people will punt what they use, so here goes.

After extensive research we eventually got the Scorpion ATR's.

Cannot fault them.

It's a funny tyre, the tread doesnt look as aggressive as many all terrain tyres, more like a H/T. But in many back to back reviews and in practice they seem to outperform most other agressive looking AT tyres. And thats offroad.

On road, well even better.

Cheers
    Keith

Car - Freelander 2
    Usage - Moz, Transkei tracks (rough stuff with dunes and rocks and mud), Lesotho Sani etc, and daily commute. And a few puka 4x4 courses.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Just a small word of caution. The sidewall is a 2 ply sidewall and is not that resilient to sekelbos. So if you are not going near sharp rocks and sekelbos, it will be fine.

Some of the tyres that have 3ply sidewalls.
    Maxxis Bighorn
    Cooper STT
    Goodyear wrangler MT
    BFG KM1 & KM2

That is what I can remember off the top of my head.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Default Buttons

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Just a small word of caution. The sidewall is a 2 ply sidewall and is not that resilient to sekelbos. So if you are not going near sharp rocks and sekelbos, it will be fine.

Some of the tyres that have 3ply sidewalls.
    Maxxis Bighorn
    Cooper STT
    Goodyear wrangler MT
    BFG KM1 & KM2

That is what I can remember off the top of my head.
    Hi Henris,

Not wanting to push any buttons but curious.

Do you have any experience of problems with sidewalls of Scorpions.

Sidewall resilience and ply ratings is a rather controverial issue.

Mechanical design, sidewall distortion under load or low pressures and the materials used for manufacture play a BIG part.

It is highly probable that a premier quality 2 ply tyre will outperform a lesser 3 ply tyre. Not saying any of the tyres you mention are inferior, in fact they are all premium quality 3 plies.

Things get complicated as technlogy advances

Cheers
    Keith
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Well, around here the tyres take a pounding. All the AT tyres are prone.

Personally the ones that I have had that were pretty useless when it comes to sekelbos.

Yohohama. Any of them
    Dunlop
    Goodyear. Not the MTR
    Firestone ATX

Just drive around Musina and have a look at what tyres have snot plugs in the sidewalls. And which haven't.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Fit what wins races, BFG has 20 Baja wins. Dont skimp on tyres.
    Bridgestone - cut two sidewalls in one day.
    Goodyear Wrangler MTR's - very good but wear quickly.
    Hankook RT03 - no problems yet.
    Maxixs - proven to be a great tyre.
    Yokohama - belongs on road cars.
    D2 V8. Pro Comp MX6 Shocks with Mikem Custom Progressive Coils. Wildcat Headers. 265/75/16 Hankook RT03's. FLI Audio. Kaiser Locker.

Had Scorpions and Duelers, agree with Boetoe, BUT the only tyre I've found to be better than my Scorpions are the Michelin AT2's PLEASE take note 4 dealerships this week alone get confused between the "current" Michelen AT's and the AT2's. Totally different tyre. The one after the 4th call confirmed he's pricelist WAS incorrect, point being if anyone says their bad they probably don't have the AT2.

Compared to Scoprion
    + 50% better tyre life (compared to what I got on mine)
    + Better in the mud
    + Better on fravel
    - More tyre noise
    - Looks

I would take both over anything else though. If you can look at the AT2's.

As for sidewalls, my Duelers weren't good depsite their "sidewall" advertising. I had NO hassles with my scorpions riding sometimes only on my sidewalls at 1.5bar and sharp rocks. Was VERY surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
    Fit what wins races, BFG has 20 Baja wins. Dont skimp on tyres.
    Then we'd all drive Nissan's 8), jokes aside, I've found you CAN'T trust a brand but you must try the various tyres. Eg Bridgestone make good and bad as DO BFG.

I don't know about the KM2's you have fitted but the BFG AT's almost wrote my car off. Like cars look at the specific model NOT brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
    Fit what wins races, BFG has 20 Baja wins.
    All that proves is that BFG is a generous sponsor.

Hi Bos-toe guys,
    Klip-in-die-bos: maybe the Mussina guys and others with sidewall damage are those with the spacers or mags that make the tyres protrude from the fenders? Have been all over Botswana and Kaokoland and never suffered sidewall damage on Bridgestone Dueller 694's. Have now changed to Pirelli ATR 265/75/16 on the 2001 Pajero. BIG tyre, does not skrik for a speed bump or brick...
    Safe journey,
    Abe,

Default Scorpion ATR vs. new GY AT/SA

Interesting comments here. Also looked at the Disco 3 TDV6 S Dueler post. Now what do I put my Freelander 2 to replace the factory GY Wrangler HP's?
    I want extra off-road ability but M/T's on this vehicle with my usage make no sense (comments noted, Sir Henris). Given that, I must stick to A/T's. Tyger Wheel, Paarl say my only options they have for size 235/65/17 are Yoko Geo G012's, GY Wanglers or Pirelli Scorpions.
    Taking the comments on the Yoko's into account they're first off the list.
    Also noted are the comments about apparently useless GY's but these all appear to relate to older AT versions.
    I already have a Scorpion ATR as a spare (GY HP punctured beyond repair on first 4x4 outing) and notice the tread pattern looks very "road biaised" but the good comments on the ATR are noted (Thanks, Fluffy in particular). On the other hand the new Wrangler AT/SA (SA for kevlar "Silent Armour") has good side lugs (the tyres almost look like M/T's). Seems to suggest really good offroad grip, apparently with only minimal road noise impact.
    My offroad will mostly be Cederberg, Tankwa, Atlantis Dunes, Swartberg, Baviaanskloof - nothing too hectic.
    My point? For what I want: The quite "chunky" new improved & stronger (but largely untested by this forum) GY AT/SA or the tried & tested positively rated Scorpions which might suffer more in the rockier Karoo type terrain? Prices similar.

AT/SA's look great so do some other poor tyres I've had...for most the part I've found you can't judge a tyre by it's looks, as you already have a Scorpion I'd stick with it. For what it's worth one of our D3's is getting 4 new ATR's in 3 weeks that for Kgalagadi and Richters.

I'd wait for the verdict on the AT/SA before buying them

To fetch an older review all out of 10

Rank order GRAVEL / TAR / MUD / SAND
    Michelin AT
    10/9.5/8/9

Yokohamas
    6.5/7.5/8.5/6

BRIDGESTONE 694
    8.5/8.5/7.5/9.5

BFG AT
    7.5/6.5/9/8.5

SCORPION AT
    9.5/10/8.5/8

GY WRANGLER
    5/5.5/7/6.5

Have just placed an order for 5 x Pirelli Scorpion ATR tyres, standard 265/65-R17, for the Pajero. Should have them fitted before next weekend.

Price was R1920 fitted and balanced.

After having the normal Pirelli Scorpion A/T tyres on the Jeep I saw no reason to fit anything else.

BTW The Bridgestone D694 in above size is completely unavailable, me thinks they are all fitted to the Fortuners as OE.

That is a good price. Who is the dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Have just placed an order for 5 x Pirelli Scorpion ATR tyres, standard 265/65-R17, for the Pajero. Should have them fitted before next weekend.

Price was R1920 fitted and balanced.

After having the normal Pirelli Scorpion A/T tyres on the Jeep I saw no reason to fit anything else.

BTW The Bridgestone D694 in above size is completely unavailable, me thinks they are all fitted to the Fortuners as OE.
    ----------------------------------------------
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB
    OME suspension, Geolander G12 tyres, NL dual battery system, Windcheater roof rack, Mellville & Moon seat covers

A big thank you to forum member Jaco Bredencamp.

Hi Guys

For Bridgestones in Cape Town contact Derreck @ Autoquip Tygervalley 021 914-3707 and tell him you`re a Forum member.He`ll gladly look after you guys.

Kind regards
    Jaco

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast