Planning to go to Moz in December

Default Planning to go to Moz in December

Hi all,

I need some advice please. We are planning a trip to Moz in December. We will be leaving from Midrand. I have a couple of questions that would help me with my planning:

1. Is December a good time to go? I've heard that it is boiling and mozzies (not the locals but the irritating insect ) could be a problem.
    2. We have Xai Xai, Inhambane and Pomene in mind - maybe spend two - three days and move on.
    3. This will be our first trip to Moz. Should we rather look more South as we are not that experienced yet? Or should we pick one of the above and stay there only?
    4. Will be travelling in a Defender and Freelander 2. Will the Freelander handle the route?
    5. Which is the best border post to enter Moz? Komatipoort?
    6. Any suggestions on good camp sites or B&B's?
    Thanks in advance!
    2015 DC Hilux Legend 45 3L D4D 4x4 AT (His)
    2017 VW T6 Kombi (Hers)

Quote Originally Posted by khakibos View Post

Should we rather look more South as we are not that experienced yet? Or should we pick one of the above and stay there only?
    1. Will be travelling in a Defender and Freelander 2. Will the Freelander handle the route?

Thanks in advance!
    went south to ponta recently, roads are horrific from jhb
    drove 9.5 hours via standerton, vryheid, etc. going there
    drove 12 hours via ermelo etc on the n17 coming back (incl border times)
    dec will even be worse !!!!

just for that reasons id say head up north.
    ive only been up as far as vilankulos, up to there a freelander will be 110%.
    will just have to drive slow for the potholes, cant comment any further north than that. but ur also going with a defender that can recover......... enough said

otherwise yes it will be VERY hot, and always good to take moz med for longer trips like that.
    Last edited by ryanbe; 2010/08/13 at 08:01 AM.

Thanks for the reply Ryanb - must say Griet looks sjmaaart! Can't wait to spoil my trokkie a bit
    2017 VW T6 Kombi (Hers)

Hi, I frequently go to Moz. Roads are good. Was bad between Xai Xai plus about 100km, b ut they were working on it. www.mozambiqueconnection.co.za will show you all the accommodation. Pomene is 40km from the main road .. but takes 2 hours. Morrungulo is fabulous and only 20mins from main road. Diving, restaurants, partys, snorkeling etc .. and normal car can make it. it is humid and hot, but enjoyable. For Mozzies, spiders, creepy crawlys, ants we use Health Guard .. on clothing, chairs nets etc. ... it works like a bomb ...check on www.eurekalife.co.za

Inhambane is very busy. Vilanculos boring ... Inhasorro north of Vilanculos is very nice .. Seta Camp & hotel. Near Xai Xai .. Sunset Lodge at Chidingquele ?? also nice but not a REAL Moz experience!!

Ask if you want to know more .. but April is better and more quite...

Thanks MrDeeSa this info helps a lot!
    2017 VW T6 Kombi (Hers)

Hi
    I agree April is the best time, still quite hot but very little rain. Anything south of Inhambane I avoid and our favourite places are Tofo / Inhambane/ Morrungulo/ Vilanculos( for island trips) and Inhassorro. In terms of party vibe Tofo and Vilancolos are the best. The last 4 times I have travelled with a normal car and trailer with no problems but if you stick to the speed limits you average 75Km/hr . From CT it takes us 4 days to Inhassorro.I have found it best to avoid the borderpost on Fridays + Mondays and we have never spent more than half an hour there.Contact me at [email protected] if you need any more info and some pics.

Andrew Rodrigues

Thanks for the info Andrew. At which border post do you enter?
    2017 VW T6 Kombi (Hers)

Komati is the easiest and fastest if you avoid long weekends, public holidays, Fridays and Mondays .. and also the Christmas break days. Going through swaziland takes a long time (longer distance and 2x border posts) and the Phalabora option will byte you financially (2x park fees) as well as the slow road on the Moz side with all the humps. If you take Pafuri .. eishhhh .. very exciting ... but takes long (2 days from the border) and you have to drive through the Limpopo .. and its just about all 2 track roads and very little fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by khakibos View Post
    We have Xai Xai, Inhambane and Pomene in mind - maybe spend two - three days and move on.
    1. This will be our first trip to Moz. Should we rather look more South as we are not that experienced yet? Or should we pick one of the above and stay there only?
    2. Will be travelling in a Defender and Freelander 2. Will the Freelander handle the route?
    The south, and Xai Xai in particular, will be very crowded in December, you will have to book wherever you want to go. Head north - if you have the time, go up to Nacala and stay at Libelula or to Pemba and stay at the Pemba Dive and Bush Camp. If you don't have the time to get up there, Pomene Lodge is a wonderful spot, but very popular, so book now, and spend the extra R160 a night and book a campsite with a baraca for shelter from the inevitable rain.

The Freelander may struggle through the last section to Pomene, as the sand is very thick, so pack as much heavy stuff in the Defender as possible, keep the Freelander light. Likewise with some of the roads north of Tofo, which is another wonderful area. But it should be fine - there were 4x2 bakkies with difflock getting through to Pomene in June without any problems, just keep the momentum up and carry a tow rope.

The Freelander won't make it through the Pafuri - Mapai crossing, avoid. It will be fine but slow on the Giryondo route from Phalaborwa.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

We went up to Barra last December, and passed through Giriyondo at 08:00. It only took max 1 hour to pass both customs. The roads were heavely potholed between Masingir and Chokoe, and again on the EN1 from Xai-Xai up north. That said, the conditions obviously dictated slow going, and without stopping that much, we only arrived at Barra at 18:00. Appart from the heat, which my wife very much liked, we actually enjoyed every moment of our 10 day stay.

God willing, we are going to Barra again this coming December. We like a change of cenery, and will therefore go through Mananga into Swaziland, and then to Moz through Namaacha. I am not quite sure what the road is like between Namaacha and Maputo, as the older maps (and some posts here) indicate it as a sand road? The latest Moz map indicates it as a national road. We will be 6 up in the Tuna, plus a trailer. We plan to start at 07:00 at Mananga (Opening time) and drive all the way to Barra in one day!

I just can not convince myself to go through Lebombo on the 26th of December! Enjoy your trip!
    Last edited by AREA; 2010/11/08 at 01:06 PM.
    Life can be difficult, but when you are stupid, it is even more difficult! 8)

Fortuner 3D4D, 4x4
    BMW 118
    Sentation 160
    Penta

A word of advice,
    If you plan on crossing from Catembe to Maputo with the ferry, be prepared for a minimum 3hour wait... They are doing maintenance on the one ferry and only one is operational...
    Was there in September. The gravel roads south of Catembe is not too bad, i could drive them towing a trailer. The tar roads are good with some patches of potholes. I really enjoyed going through Lesotho and the border crossings was quick, except for the SA side!

Also see http://www.africabushanddive.co.za for accommodation
    Hennie
    Ford Ranger Wildtrak 4x4
    Disclaimer: The views expressed by me in the above thread and replies are based on my personal experience and perceptions, which may be subjected to change from time to time.
    ORRA Call Sign B165

Are you planning on camping or staying in hotels and lodges?

Been to Pomene before in December - 35 degrees 4:00 in the morning! Be prepared not to cool down when you go for a swim!
    Beautiful scenery on the way! Freelander should make it!

Lots of mozzies on the way - don't bank on visiting the loo's at the petrol stations: the locals don't know how to use a flush toilet.

Lots of people next to the road all times of the day! I kid you not! in the small hours of the morning they walk around everywhere - I don't think its the safest idea to stop next to the road!

Also the speedcops - we got pulled over 4 times. The best was when the speedcop insisted that it is illegal for children to sleep in the car 2:00 in the moring.
    2011 VW Amarok BiTDI DC 4Motion
    (Ex) 2007 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DID DC 4x4
    (Ex) 2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.8 TDI DC 4x4