Gorongosa National Park Moz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gorongosa National Park Moz

My wife and I are planning an extended trip through several game parks in 2012 and wish to visit Gorongosa.
    We will be travelling alone and are in our sixties.
    Taking into account that we will be travelling in a very well maintained 1997 Ford Ranchero with a trailer and rooftop tent. (No 4 wheel drive, but has Hydrotrack, a (sort of) limited slip diff arrangement):
    Can we travel directly to Gorongosa from Kruger Park?
    Are the roads OK for this kind of vehicle?
    Thereafter we want to travel through Zim to Botswana (Chobe), then via Caprivi Strip to Namibia (Etosha).
    What is the best route from Gorongosa into Zim?
    We would go into Botswana via Vic Falls.
    Any advice is welcomed.

Welcome to the forum, Peter.

Can I point you in the direction of Tony Weaver's trip report......he has only just got back. I'm sure he'll be along shortly to answer your questions.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Hi Peter. We were there in August last year. Basic trip was from Kruger through Giriyonde Border Post to Xai-Xai then up the EN1 to Gorongosa. Apart from dreadful potholes, the road is doable in a platkar. Just drive slowly. Gorongosa is just north of the EN1-EN6 intersection and the gravel is rough but should not be a problem for you. To get to Zim from Gorongosa, head westwards along the EN6 and enter Zim at Mutare. We came back to SA via Parque Nacional de Zanave and then onto Mapai and Pafuri into Kruger - this route will be challenging with your setup.
    2006 Defender KE 300 TDi (aka Hari), previously 2003 TD5 90 (aka Steri) and 1994 TDi HiLine 200 TDi (aka Big Blue).
    Afrispoor Serval off-road caravan (aka ORC).

Hi Peter,

As Mike says, have a look at my trip report. Gorongosa is an absolute gem of a park. Re the Giriyondo route, shouldn't be a problem with a high clearance vehicle, but it will become very challenging if there is any rain. There is a section of quite thick sand en route to Campismo Aguia Pesqueira, and again en route from there to Massingire, but it is pretty compact and shouldn't pose a problem.

Don't take the road from Mandlakaze (some maps have it as Manjacase or Manjakaze) to the EN1 as the sand is very heavy there, but rather take the longer route down to Chongoene and then north.

Tony
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

I believe there is elephants that have a bad a temperament and love chasing cars.
    I had 4 reports of elephants chasing cars. If that is a fact how save is it to there alone?
    How is the camping there?
    I intend to go there about the 15 Aug to 20 Aug depending that it is safe there.
    Nico

This is a definite for us next year.

Personally I don't think that you should tackle this without 4wd and also without a 2nd or ever 3rd companying vehicle.

When we go, we will be a minimum of 2 cars.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Quote Originally Posted by Nico H View Post
    I believe there is elephants that have a bad a temperament and love chasing cars.
    I had 4 reports of elephants chasing cars. If that is a fact how save is it to there alone?
    How is the camping there?
    I intend to go there about the 15 Aug to 20 Aug depending that it is safe there.
    Nico
    If you're worried about the ellies, go on the organised game drives with the park. We weren't warned about aggressive elephants at all and I haven't heard of any cars getting damaged. You'll be lucky if you see elephant - there aren't many there.
    The camp site is very pretty - very shady, not much grass, basic facilities. The ablutions are adequate.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

My plan was to drop by Gorongosa in December between the 27-29 December.
    I dropped them a mail and they came back to me saying that the last 3 years the park (Chitengo Safari Camp) has been closed.
    Can anybody confirm this!

I was really looking forward to the park....
    Any info will be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MSR View Post
    My plan was to drop by Gorongosa in December between the 27-29 December.
    I dropped them a mail and they came back to me saying that the last 3 years the park (Chitengo Safari Camp) has been closed.
    Can anybody confirm this!
    I was really looking forward to the park....
    Any info will be helpful.
    The park closes during the rainy season as most of the internal roads are under water. Even in July this year, some of the roads were closed because they were still too wet. But why not give them a ring on +258 23535010 or +258 823020604 (the eights may translate into smileys if you are on the mobile version). The guy in charge of the tourist office (I think his name is Senhor Hendrique) speaks excellent English.

I am the Sales manager of Gorongosa National Park.
    Yes, the park is close during rainy season, December to March. For more information
    (check www.gorongosa.net)
    For the past 4 years we have open the park around the 15th of April. Important to mention at that time not all park roads are open.
    Concerning the ellies, like Tony was saying, we can organise a game drive for you.
    I love my ellies and they are plenty and nothing wrong with them. They are very protective special when they have babys and again you just need to keep a distance.
    I love Gorongosa and you all should come and visit.
    A great team is here to welcome you all.

Thank you Tony,
    You are correct I am Hendrik and here is my personal Park number +258 82 3009853.
    PLease fell free to contact me at all time.

Tony thanks for your trip report. Very nice done and very helpfully.
    Thank you

Hi Hendrik,

I worked in Moz, 7 years ago, stayed in Beira. We met a guy with his wife and three children that also stayed in Beira and worked in the park. he said they planted trees and later on moved to the park with his family. he was a south african, can't remember his name, is he still in the park? greetings, nico.

Hendrik
    Some of my collages did visit the park the last 3 months.
    I will most possible se you the 12 August. My intension is to camp there for 3 days.
    Hope we can have a cold beer!
    Nico Hough

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik Pott View Post
    Thank you Tony,
    You are correct I am Hendrik and here is my personal Park number +258 82 3009853.
    PLease fell free to contact me at all time.
    Tony thanks for your trip report. Very nice done and very helpfully.
    Thank you
    Ah, Senhor Hendrik! Thank you for all your help while we were there, especially with getting our puncture fixed, and with advice on game drives. Folks, as I mentioned in my trip report, Gorongosa really is a very special place, and the staff really go out of their way to help. It is a gem, and next time we are in Moz, we'll spend much longer there.

Tony

We hope to be in Gorongoza app. 26/27 August. Are really looking forward to the visit, specially after Tony's positive report. We also hope to visit Niassa Park around 10 September which will be a different kind of park.

Quote Originally Posted by PierredW View Post
    We hope to be in Gorongoza app. 26/27 August. Are really looking forward to the visit, specially after Tony's positive report. We also hope to visit Niassa Park around 10 September which will be a different kind of park.
    Pierre, do spend a bit of time with Hendrik and the park map (it is very well signposted)- he'll point out the best areas for lion, elephant etc, and which roads, if any, are impassable. The birding is phenomenal. Also buy yourself a t-shirt - nice and low key and a great souvenir to have. As mentioned in my report, the restaurant is very pleasant, the pepper steak is particularly good.

Tony

Hi Nico,

Is it Piet Vanzyl!

If yes, very nice family they still in Nhambita, just outside the Park

Yes I am here.
    Look foward to welcome you.

Hi Pierre,

You are welcome to Gorongosa National Park. I am sure I will be around

Thanks Tony.
    Nice to hear you comment about us here at Gorongosa.
    Say hi to your lovely family and thanks a lot for visiting Gorongosa National Park.
    Please come again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast