Urgent help needed /car stuck at khwai river lodge

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Urgent help needed /car stuck at khwai river lodge

Hi all

I desperately need some help. Due to the flooding and really bad advice we have found ourselves in a bad spot.
    We were on our way to Third camp from Mababe gate, past Khwai community camp when a local tried to guide us through a watery patch. It backfired big time, and our car nosedived into a hollow in the water. We ended up with water up to the bulbar.
    Finally got towed out, and after a few hours some fantastic people helped get the car started and the rest of the water out.
    We had some water in the oil, so they advised to go to Khwai River Lodge to change the oil before going on to Maun.
    Once at the lodge it was too late to go to Maun, so we stayed over, esp since we were under the impression that the car was working.
    In the morning they wanted to double check, and nothing happened. We are now ‘stuck’ here with a car that doesn’t want to start.
    Everything has been checked and dried. It seems as if the fuel injection isn’t working, fuel is being pumped up to a certain point, but doesn’t pull through, so the motor won’t start, despite there being a spark.
    The car is a Mitsubishi Colt 2006 / 7 4 x 4 bakkie single cab 2.4LTR
    Does anyone have advice or a contact in Maun that could come look / tow us back to Maun? The prices being quoted are huge, and our problem is that we have had so many setbacks that we are already aprox 4.500 euro over budget
    Please, if anyone can help, via email, or contacting the main office of the orient express in Maun to pass it on to the lodge here – they only have Sat phones? Anyone with contacts / advice, or someone who knows about the car that can get it going again.
    The car is my dads, if it were a hire car I wouldn’t be in such a stress…

Please can someone help

Default Urgent help needed / car stuck at khwai river lodge

Hi all

I desperately need some help. Due to the flooding and really bad advice we have found ourselves in a bad spot.
    We were on our way to Third camp from Mababe gate, past Khwai community camp when a local tried to guide us through a watery patch. It backfired big time, and our car nosedived into a hollow in the water. We ended up with water up to the bulbar.
    Finally got towed out, and after a few hours some fantastic people helped get the car started and the rest of the water out.
    We had some water in the oil, so they advised to go to Khwai River Lodge to change the oil before going on to Maun.
    Once at the lodge it was too late to go to Maun, so we stayed over, esp since we were under the impression that the car was working.
    In the morning they wanted to double check, and nothing happened. We are now ‘stuck’ here with a car that doesn’t want to start.
    Everything has been checked and dried. It seems as if the fuel injection isn’t working, fuel is being pumped up to a certain point, but doesn’t pull through, so the motor won’t start, despite there being a spark.
    The car is a Mitsubishi Colt 2006 / 7 4 x 4 bakkie single cab 2.4LTR
    Does anyone have advice or a contact in Maun that could come look / tow us back to Maun? The prices being quoted are huge, and our problem is that we have had so many setbacks that we are already aprox 4.500 euro over budget
    Please, if anyone can help, via email, or contacting the main office of the orient express in Maun to pass it on to the lodge here – they only have Sat phones? Anyone with contacts / advice, or someone who knows about the car that can get it going again.
    The car is my dads, if it were a hire car I wouldn’t be in such a stress…

Please can someone help

Check the fuel for water contamination
    Check all filters and replace oil
    Check for spark on the plugs, clean the plugs and try again
    Check solenoids and relays, check switches

Sorry I don't have any more info, but you need to check everything electrical firstly to ensure that they are all dry and working, then check the fuel lines. If there is air, fuel and spark then it should start, provided the electronics aren't buggering you around

I don't have any contacts up there, will try and get in touch with HenriS - maybe send him a PM as well, he might be able to help

Who are you insured with?
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

mmmmm. dad is going to kill you!

unscrew the plugs and while swinging, push your finger over the sparkplug hole to check for compression. hope you did not damage pistons / rings.
    did you swing her without plugs when she was wet or did she suddenly stop instead of dying gradually? worried that you got water down the throat and damaged pistons.

where is the car registered? SA? find out if the insurance covers tow in. many do. if so, let your dad arrange with his insurance.

i'm sure a Land Rover will come by soon! all landy owners have big hearts and will help even if it is a tow!

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

Sorry about your predicament!!! relax mate - things will get right. You do not perhaps have special off road insurance like Tuffstuff? They cover incidents like this.

Water in fuel maybe? Fuse box dry? I am a complete layman but maybe waiting some time and letting it stand in the sun might help.

I sincerely hope some technical fundi see your predicament!

Bostoe

Ps: Maybe post this under 4x4 pub and you will get reaction sooner!!!

Kimosabid

Have you tried riley's garage? Ph 6860203. If you cannot get hold of them, let met know and I will try to phone them.

Bostoe

Hi, Kimosabid72.

I received your PM - I have a friend who stays in Maun - Radies Rademeyer. I'll give him a call to see if he is in town and if he will be available to lend a hand. I'll also check if he can contact the lodge. In case he cannot contact the lodge, and with Radies not being on the Forum, do you have a Hotmail address etc. where he can contact you via e-mail? If not, I'll try to run arrangements from here if he can assist.

I suggest you check all your relays for moisture - not all of them are sealed and you may be able to pry them open in order to dry them.
    2011 VW Amarok BiTdi 4-Motion8)
    2006 Daihatsu Sirion
    6 x Water Buffalo's
    Honda Lawnmower

Sometimes it help to let it dry for a day.Sorry to hear about your problem but I can assure you that the forum will soon have a solusion,I know because I was in a similar situation a while back and the forum members were great.
    Elize
    en ry saam met SarelF in
    4x4 Isuzu NPS 300 met kamper
    Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Starting from the injector pump and moving up the wiring harness, remove every plug, one at a time and spray with WD40, Q20, etc. Any water repellent spray that is also non-conductive. Spray both the male and female sides with copious amounts of spray. Don't worry about getting any of the spray into the injector pump, it can't get in. Put every connector back together before moving to the next one.

Open the bonnet and let the vehicle stand with the engin bay open, facing the sun.

Bleed your fuel system water trap, there might just be a safety cutout in there....unfortunately I don't know the Colts well enough....to find the trap, follow the fuel line from the tank forward to the engine bay. It will have a little tap at the bottom that you can unscrew to drain.

Undo the main fuel line into the injector pump and ask somebody to crank the engine. See if fuel comes out the pipe. Don't know if the Colt have a mechanical fuel pump, or electrical. If it's mechanical you'll have to crank the engine to look for fuel, if it's electrical, just switching the ignition on will/should activate the pump, and fuel should come out the pipe.

If you got water into the fuel tank it might have blocked the fuel filter, depending on the type of filter you've got. Some filter elements swell up when getting into contact with water, blocking the fuel flow.

Hope this helps....best of luck
    Last edited by Sakkie; 2010/07/23 at 08:57 PM.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

Kimosabid72,

I managed to get hold of Radies - he lives right next to the crocodile farm outside Maun. He frequently services the generator sets at the Orient Express and knows them well.

He will be able to lend a hand tomorrow morning is then still required. He will try and get your vehicle running and has a vehicle trailer to load & bring your vehicle to town if needed.

The contact number for Radies is +267 72303807. As he runs his own Co. I suggest you contact him and discuss possible assistance.

I hope you come right. Not a nice position to be in.
    2011 VW Amarok BiTdi 4-Motion8)
    2006 Daihatsu Sirion
    6 x Water Buffalo's
    Honda Lawnmower

Kimosabid - there you have it. The forum folks will fix you in no time!

I am sure our problem will be soveld soon!!!

Hier in donker Afrika, het mense nog tyd vir mekaar! Onthou dit!

Bostoe

Kimosabid72, if you are still stuck by Monday, I will come and fetch you with a trailer. Just cover my diesel.

I will post here again tomorrow.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Kimosabid72,

I have sent a PM to Piri in Maun, he is on this forum and a pilot with Kavango Air.
    I am sure he can organise a tow vehicle from Maun, unfortunately I did not take the details of a guy I met last trip who was helping a broken down Prado from Mababe to Maun.

Stand by and see if Piri is getting in touch when he goes on-line.
    Alternatively call Kavango Air in Maun 686 0323
    and ask for Rob Eden (aka Piri) to get you assistance.
    I will check in the morning again and see if this thing moves.

Don't worry we can make a plan when offices are working again.

Just in case here my number (+267) 72 100 491
    Keep it cool /// Walter
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

http://maunselfdrive4x4.webs.com/breakdownservice.htm

Mac goes to Moremi all the time for vehicle recoveries.

Thumbs up Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Kimosabid72, if you are still stuck by Monday, I will come and fetch you with a trailer. Just cover my diesel.

Very nice to see so many people responding and go out of there way to help a felow forum memeber [ not even knowing the person ]

Toyota Fortuner 4.0L 4X4
    AKA - TUNA

hey guys

bar running further into the delta to avoid dad I will print out the email so I have all answers, advice and numbers handy. There has been an offer to tow us into Maun today, at 10 pula per km, which I think is the best bet I have had so far?

Thanks so much for all the responses up to now, I will let you know how i all goes /keep you updated, and as soon s I can get pen to paper I'll get the story ( revised and inflated of course ) on the site.
    Hopefully in Maun later this pm, and will be in touch

Thanks again!
    cheers, Kim

I have contacted Mack and he has been in contact with kimosabid72 it seems, there was concern regarding the recovery price.

kimosabid72, I'm out flying most of today otherwise I would be there to help. If you come into Maun this afternoon, give me a call please! Otherwise I will check the forum and comment again.

All the best!

Regards
    Rob

Henri, you are a complete star. What a great gesture.........from a quick look at my map that looks like 500 miles each way. Fantastic offer, from clearly a selfless guy.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post

Henri,

Unbelievable offer!!!!! This is why the forum is so great to be a part of.
    Tim
    98 Prado 3D, OME,RR,RTT,Drawers

Also see thread under 4x4 recovery
    Elize
    en ry saam met SarelF in
    4x4 Isuzu NPS 300 met kamper
    Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast