Moz time again !!!

Default Moz time again !!!

Hi everyone,

I'm heading of to Morungula from 27 March to 06 April. We will be staying at Morungula for the full period. I've read a few posts about the place and it seems to be a nice spot. I'm taking my parents and girlfriend with 2 kids u/12 there for the first time. I've been through Komatiepoort a few times and would like to spare them the agony. Would you rather suggest giriyondo and can it be done in 2 days ? Or should i go through Swaziland ? I've heard they only allow 4x4 vehicles through Giriyondo (Kruger). The last time i went through Komatie it cost me R800.00 in bribes.
    Gert Jansen van Vuuren

I've been through Komatipoort a couple of times and never paid bribes. Swaziland is fine and so is Giriyondo. At Giriyondo you pay inport tax on stuff like groceries so keep a couple of till slips to show them. You can see it as sort of a "legal" bribe but did not cost us much. Never had anything like this at Komatipoort or Pafuri.

I went through Giyorondo last year this time (august) no hassles at all , the border was quick and easy. The road from the border was a fair bit corrugated but was not that bad (i have seen worse).
    We had left Phalaborwa at around 12:00 and arrived at Campisomo Albuifeira (at massigir dam wall) by about 17:30, Chalets at Campisomo Albuifeira were clean and comfortable but basic.
    Drove from Massingir to Inhambane the next morning (left at around 08:30) and arrived at barra lodge at round 16h00.
    On the return trip we did it back in 1 day (just over 11 hrs)

PM me if you need more details on the road etc, ( have some info with gps co-ords)

Hi there.
    You must go to M9ozambique witnh an open mind and heart. Dont pay bribes, that makes it worse. Abide by the speed limit, wear your safety belts AT ALL TIMES and DONT have any beers while driving! not even the passangers. The rest is to enjoy your stay there.

Would it be possible to travel from Inhambane to Letaba in the Kruger via Giryando border post in one day - say one leaves Inhabane at 06:00?
    Thanks
    Lourens

Lourens you can yes. You need to be at the border before it closes. They will not let you in at the Masingier side if you are to late to get to Giarondo gate. From there it takes app. hour and half to get to Letaba. There is a new bridge over the Limpopo river at Chokwe. from Inhambane you get to the village of Chidenquele, you pass it app. 46 km and then turn right at the village of Chonguene to Chokwe', over the bridge and then right to Masingir dam. But remember you will be pushing it. Why don't you camp at Fish Eagle camp in the Trans Frontier Reserve? It is stunning.
    Rgards

Quote Originally Posted by LRE View Post
    Would it be possible to travel from Inhambane to Letaba in the Kruger via Giryando border post in one day - say one leaves Inhabane at 06:00?
    Thanks
    Lourens
    Yes lourens it will take you approx 9 hrs, I left barra lodge at 5:30 and was in time to make it out of the phalaborwa gate, didnt rush just kept a steady pace

Quote Originally Posted by dieterschlehmeyer View Post
    Hi there.
    You must go to M9ozambique witnh an open mind and heart. Dont pay bribes, that makes it worse. Abide by the speed limit, wear your safety belts AT ALL TIMES and DONT have any beers while driving! not even the passangers. The rest is to enjoy your stay there.
    Thanks for the info all. It is for sure not my motto to pay bribes but i was caught offguard. We arrived late at the border and decided to make use of a helper, against my better judgement. In the process we failed to declare the fridge. Knowing this, the helper did all the paperwork for us and upon handing it back to us he "noticed" the fridge. He demanded another R400.00 for him and the border guard, otherwise he was going to tel the borderguard and make us unpack everything. Won't happen again.
    Gert Jansen van Vuuren

Thanks for the feedback on the Giryando route. Anybody have info on Fish Eagle Camp - Web Site or Coordinates?
    Thanks