Compulsary Insurance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Compulsary Insurance

I have read that you now have to take out compulsary insurance [third party] to go to moz.

Many years ago the locals would roll a body in the road[ died of other diseases] and wait for the unsuspesting tourist to "kill" him and then claim huge amounts of money!.. The permanent bribery has kept me away from moz now for a while.
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Engel,
    Ek het ook in die nuwe WEG gelees dat jy "insurance" by die AA in SA kan koop.
    Dit maak dinge baie vinniger as om by die grenspos te probeer koop...
    D4 V8
    Live life on the edge... you get a better view !
    Disco 3 Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STt7DmJeeVc

Quote Originally Posted by TiaanS View Post
    Engel,
    Ek het ook in die nuwe WEG gelees dat jy "insurance" by die AA in SA kan koop.
    Dit maak dinge baie vinniger as om by die grenspos te probeer koop...
    You can actually "buy" this insurance at Outdoor Warehouse as well.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Went to Mana pools & Southern Zambia in August, took out the AA Insurances & guess what - both customs refused it, insisted I take out "their" 3rd party cover
    I wonder if the same applies for Moz?

The bloody bastards obviously get a kickback. With rubbish like that I prefer comping local. There is always some hassle and boy if you pick up scrap that African mentality just comes thru!!

Some of my friends has also picked up horendous virusses in Africa. My next trip will be South West and botswana back.

Done some Military thingies there and want to go see what it looks like now!
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Default Mozambique-Ponta

I will be going throught to Ponta this december, anything other than this insurance that I need to purchase or be aware of?

Pretoria / Motopi Village, Northern Botswana

Was in Moz (Ponta) over easgter and purchased my 3rd party insurance from the AA shop in Menlyn (PTA) and they happily accept it.

Luma, if you are towing anything into Moz then you need 3rd party insurance for the trailer/boat too, you also need the yellow triangle inside a blue square sticker both on the front of your vehicle and on the rear of the trailer/boat...

If your vehicle is still financed you need a letter from your finance house stating that they are allowing you to take your vehicle out of RSA and the relevent dates you are going for.

You also need a letter from your insurance to say that you indeed do have insurance and that it covers you for the various neighbouring RSA coutnries including the one you are going to obvisouly...

Apart from this, you don't need anything else.

Trev
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 SW with extras
    2019 Jaguar Inkwe 4 Offroad Caravan

Hi,

You are also supposed to have the standard ZA sticker on your vehicle. I've never put mine on but do carry it in my vehicle at all times. I've never been checked or questioned.

Otherwise KTZE covered it nicely. Hope you enjoy your trip. Do you do any fishing? I'm an avid fly fisherman.

Cheers,
    Warren
    Warren Prior

2017 Subaru Forester (A)
    2010 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D (former)
    2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7CRD Ltd. (A) (former)
    1999 Mitsubishi Pajero iO 1.8 (former)

Ja well no fine...the ZA sticker is a bit of a grey area (for MOZ anyway)...some say you need it, others say you don't...but I put mine on irrespective...juuuust in case

Trev

Engel no offence but you are talking absolute rubbish about them throwing bodies in the road. Ive been travelling to Moz since 91 and have never come across anything like that or heard such rubbish. Ive been stopped by cops about 5 times and I have never been bribed either. I was fined twice for speeding which I acepted as I was speeding. When I asked for a reciept they gave one to me also.

I have been stopped by more cops in SA and "asked" for bribes in the last year than I have in 15 years and +/_ 60 trips into and around Mozambique.

Now back to the subject on the 3rd party insurance:
    You can buy 3rd party insurance at the borders, but if you are travelling through Giriyonda you will need to get the 3rd party insurance before you get there. This can be done either at the AA or at Outdoor warehouse and is acepted all over Mozambique.

Congratulations BruceT. I have not been that lucky! I can see the gods of good fortune are riding on your roofrack. Sometimes I'm lucky, and sometimes not.
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

ps. Read the getaway mag and hear about other peoples experiences as well.
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Engel
    I was mainly talking about your claim that bodies were thrown into the road.

I have read the Getaway and have also seen the letters on Botswana, and I plan to visit there next year. I dont dispute that bribary is happening all over Africa. This is africa afterall. I do know that the Mozambican government are working very hard to stop the bribary and even ask for people to report it.

Last year 250 000 South Africans travelled to Mozambique for their holidays. there are bound to be some unhappy people.
    Just out of interest:
    I witnessed an elderly couple with 2 poodels (dogs) in there car which were obviously smuggeled through the border, give a resort owner such uphill because he would not let them in with their dogs unless they were "locked up" or on a leash. After the second day that they were at the resort, people were complaining about the continual yapping and droppings that these dogs had left lying around. They were eventually asked to leave the resort and this idiot threatened to write to Getaway regarding the bad service and bribary etc in Mozambique. There is a sign at the gate and on the booking form of the resort saying no dogs allowed. What would happen in South Africa if this was done, not to mention it is illegal to take animals over the border.
    I have witnessed South Africans fighting with locals in the shops because they didnt want to take South African coins as payment. I have also seen a South African woman shouting and swearing at a barman because he didnt talk afrikaans. Can you imagine what would happen to a Mozambican who walked into a bar in Boksburg talking portuguese trying to pay his bill with meticals?
    This all happened last year alone.
    I think we South Aficans should realise that Mozambique is a different country, and South AFrican ways can not be inforced there. Maybe we should take a look at our selves before we start pointing fingers.

BruceT...I've only been there once and was bribed while in the country and had to pay another bribe before they'd let us leave the damn country...

Trevor

It happens all over, sometimes one can do a trip without trouble the next time you have a hassle. Thats life in Africa enjoy it.
    '16 Toyota Land Cruiser D/C v8
    '15 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D

Bruce it seems like South Africans are the Americans of Southern Africa.
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Bruce it seems like South Africans are the Americans of Southern Africa.
    Absolutely!!! You hear these stories of rogue South Africans especially in Bots and Zambia. But you also hear that these are foreigners with hire vehicles with GP plates. One or two maybe, but the stories are so pervasive that I believe South Africans often deserve their bad rap.

As an aside...regarding bribery

Ive been stopped by cops about 5 times and I have never been bribed
    I've only been there once and was bribed while in the country
    Remember, when the authorities are asking for and accepting bribes, YOU in actual fact are DOING the bribing, they are not bribing you. Just semantics I know, but an important difference.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Simon, you are to clever with your words of wisdom today for me. What are you trying to say? In Afrikaans please
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Engel, I think you were just unlucky. I can understand your negativity especially after experiencing that on your firts trip.

I started this discussion because of what you said about the locals throwing bodies in the road, which I thought was not true.

As someone else said, if you travell in africa bribary and corruption are common, but I think its how we as tourists deal with it that makes the difference.

Get knotted if you guys think I paid the "bribes" willingly see !!

I have never and will never willingly stimulate that culture BUT when the "official" purposely looks for something wrong and "finds it" and then will not let you procede without paying a THUMB SUCK AMOUNT fine what the bloody hell do you do huh ?...tell me !! ...and my wife, 2 and 1/2 year old daughter and my wife's niece are int he bakkie too !

And the idiot then procedes to put the money in his pocket...&%[email protected]$#^$

Trevor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast