Sensitive Area

Thread: Sensitive Area

Cool Sensitive Area

I am just making an observation here, not starting whether it is or not debate.

But Take Atlantis dunes for an example.
    Already some have stated this could be classified as a sensitive area. OK. This would mean in theory, you will have to have the necessary recognision as a RPL or DCC or a Guide to drive on this property. If you arent in possession of any of these qualifications, you will have to pay one of these people to take you around. Leave council staff and the contracted wood cutters out of the equasion. So there will in my opinion be no point in going to AD, because you have to stick to the tracks. No more dune climbing especially making new ones. This i feel defeats the whole excercise of going to AD in the first place. AD will die

So i hope the law makers take this into consideration. No more Toyota events, you have to drive on the prescribed tracks.You cant make new tracks, destroy vegetation.

Ok maybe a bit over the top, but something to ponder about maybe

Maybe others could add there piece of opinion here .
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

The only reason AD exists is because of rainfall replenishing the aquifer. (for dummies that means topping up the underground water)
    If the authorities didn't need the water then there would be development on that land. Kick up a fuss about the land and eventually they will say stuff you and develop it anyway.
    It's definitely not a sensitive area other than keeping it clean
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

"Sensitive Area"

OK. I thought you were talking about "there where the sun don't shine"
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Ian you seem to forget an incident where I flattened a bush in AD because I followed YOUR tracks down a dune, the bottom of which I could not see. There was a photo taken of me and I was used as an example of a 4x4 cowboy.

That bush was an ALIEN bush.

AD as it exists cannot be construed as sensitive by any stretch of the imagination. One could argue that vehicles in AD are returning the dunes to what they used to be like 100 years ago (some 3 times the size they are now) as the alien vegetation is being pushed back. As Spike said AD is also very important in the replenishment of the Cape Aquifer, and the amount of water returning to the aquifer is slowly being reduced as a consequence of the alien vegetation.

Mobile dunes are generally not considered sensitive as any impact is extremely short lived, unlike something like the Kaokoveld and Richtersveld where the impact of reckless driving can be seen for years.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Henris, you mean something like -

"I lost control of the vehicle and it rolled and I discovered that the sensitive area was no longer as pristine as it was..."

Talking

I agree with all of your comments entirely.
    Simon, how could you. were those my tracks, never
    BTW that bos is long gone.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ORA
    Ian

Well - destruction of alien vegetation is as Eco friendly as it gets!!!!

bonus points for such actions on your RPL!!!

It might be prudent tp ignore our own "ameteur opinions" as to whether AD is in any way a sensitive area. It is the opinion of Dept Environmental Affairs that counts. Also, there are ancient middens there which get exposed by the shifting sands and which have historical and cultural value.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Scott View Post
    .............. It is the opinion of Dept Environmental Affairs that counts. .............
    Ok. So then they made the right decision when they opted for strip mining at Mapungubwe?

Phillip, I think you have just dived into the deep end. That end where there are a lot of hidden rocks.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

It might be prudent tp ignore our own "ameteur opinions" as to whether AD is in any way a sensitive area. It is the opinion of Dept Environmental Affairs that counts. Also, there are ancient middens there which get exposed by the shifting sands and which have historical and cultural value.
    I agree with the point regarding DEAT (and the Cape Town Municipality) being the only opinions that matter (perhaps count is the wrong word as Henri mentioned).

In fact the Blaauberg Spatial Development Plan specifically stated AD is a sensitive area as part of EIM Zone 2

EIM Zone 2 includes the coastal edge, flood and storm event areas (e.g.
    coastline and Rietvlei) and sensitive dune fields (e.g. Atlantis dune fields).
    In general, any activities that will impact on the coastal environment and
    natural coastal processes are not supported in this zone. There are a
    number of other activities that may be considered dependent on EIA
    findings and appropriate mitigation measures. These include activities such
    as tourism facilities, agricultural activities, infrastructure, etc. Low-impact
    activities such as conservation activities and low-impact public open space
    areas are generally accepted in this zone.
    My points are based on environmental research in which I participated as a postgraduate student of UCT (and hence my statement "AD as it exists") although perhaps I was remiss in not qualifying my statement to only include the normally recognised play areas and the normal access routes between them.

The alien vegetation argument still stands however.
    Last edited by SimonB; 2010/07/21 at 04:33 PM.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Hello Phillip, thanks for your input, when i drive at AD next time i will be very carefull to avoid the ancient middens

I know that AD has its own sensitivity issues, but its not in the same league like driving through marsh and swamp land. which is very important to some eco- systems.

Look at Melkbos , they have built homes there .
    Look at Baden Powell drive, its a road on the beach .
    So i know there will always be exceptions here and there. I just hope the organisation that decides will put it in the correct perspective.
    We all realise we have to look after our country, for a children and childrens children.
    I wonder if they would take similar steps in NAM and MOZ, because there, its a free for all at the moment.
    ORA
    Ian

Ja Henri and Ian,
    I did not mean to say that their opinion is right, but it is the only one on which we should base any action plans. To speculate and argue against the machine will have no effect - take the beach ban for example.