Camping clubs?

Thread: Camping clubs?

Default Camping clubs?

Hi all
    We have recently acquired a Conquest trailer and have done some nice camping trips to the Cederberg, Montagu and Mossel Bay. We have 2 children (boy 4 and Girl 8) and while I don't mind peace and small campsites, it is not great for the kids to be the only ones at a place. This is especially a problem in the winter months.

So Swambo and I thought about joining a camping "club" who do monthly outings so that it would be more social and the kids would have mates to play with on camping trips. There seem to be a few of these clubs, mostly caravanners, BUT they all seem to have a rule that you go to a campsite less than 100 kms from home each month. I am sure that the campsite at Melkbos is very nice but I see no point in exchanging my weather at home on a weekend for the same weather 15 kms away I understand that the reasoning is that many members of these sorts of clubs are "old" and don't like towing for more than an hour, and they must go to mainstream camps like Goudini etc because they are caravan friendly.

Is there an organisation here in the Cape that caters to the 40 year old types with young children and 4x4 trailers who like the more interesting sites like Jamaka, Lebanon etc? Hope to hear from informed members.

I don't have a trailer (tent only), but I do have 2 boys and would love to camp with like-minded families.

Pathy, the main reason for the distance (AFAIK) is to maximise camping time and minimise driving.

Still want to go to MontEco when it's a little warmer
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

Another Pinelands man Mont Eco looks nice and I hear that 22 Watervalle is also lekker. Have been to Beaverlac a few times as well. Perhaps the Western Cape Forum should indicate a campsite and a particular weekend and anyone interested could go...subject to availability at the site of course.

You from the 'hood? Sounds like a good plan!
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

Default Camping

I cant really help with camping clubs, but I am really interested. I also have kids, 2 boys and a girl, and would also be interested to go camping without having to worry about us being the only fam with kiddies.

Would also be great for the kids as well, as you said...

Great idea ! thanks.

Hi Stefan, JackJack
    Yup we are a Pinelands family as well. Have actually just bought a house in Wellington though and will be moving in December. There is a long weekend in August. Perhaps a good weekend to go to a place like Vloedbos which I hear is very nice (I have not been there yet) and has covered facilities in case of shocking weather as well? There are 4x4 trails close by for those interested and it would be great to get a bunch of families together so that the kids could go nuts and the adults could relax and be social. Always nice to meet new people, especially campers.

August sounds great. Mom will probably stay at home with the 10 week old
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

The Kumnandi Getaways Club does camping trips on a more or less monthly basis out of Cape Town, but not to commercial campsites. The places are all accessable with an offroad trailer/caravan. PM me if you need more details. Membership is free, but restricted to those with a good sense of humour.
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

Hi Camelman. It sounds interesting and I will pm you.

Thanks and regards

Pathy

Lets all book out 22watervalle for the long weekend in Aug
    ------------------------------------------------

2004 Toyota Hilux 2.4D
    1999 VW Caddy 1600

try these guys http://www.trekkersclub.co.za/

When we lived in CT, this is the club we belonged to and we went all over the wetsern cape, and yes, also to Ou Skip in melkbos!
    New & Used Car Sales Exec.