Mos 1st timer

Thread: Mos 1st timer

Default Mos 1st timer

Hi
    This is our 1st time on site and we are planning a trip to pomene in Sept this year, but we are clueless and need help please.

1) What is the best route to follow? We are looking at entering through mapia, Machaila - Mabote - down to pomene route . what would the expected traveling distance and time be for this routeand whart are the road conditions? Also what route would be recomended to Xai xai

2) Could we sleep over on this route and where?

3) Would a Nissan Xtrail 4x4 petrol(soft 4x4) get us there?

4) What driving conditions weatherwise could we expect during September?

5) Do they have any problems at the border with prescribed medicine?

Would appreciate your feedback

Thanks

Lunet

Hi Lunet and welcome to the forum. This links you to an article that appeared in the Wegry/DriveOut mag a while back and will tell you all you need to know about your route. I would recommend that if you're not at least a little bit of an experienced overlander you don't tackle the Mapai route on your own. You have to bushcamp along the route and cross the Limpopo which might have a high waterlevel so keep this in mind.

http://www.wegry.co.za/bestemmings/m...r-tot-bazaruto

We were at Pomene in June and returned two weeks ago. The last few km's to Pomene is thick sand so drop your tyres to 1bar and keep momentum up and the X-trail should pull you through.

It took us 4 days of driving to reach Pomene on the Giriyondo route and on our return two days using the more common route via Komati Poort. The 60km gravel/sand access road to Pomene takes at least 2 hours to drive so keep that in mind when doing your travel planning.
    Pomene is so lovely that in future I will rather spend less time on travelling and more time at the resort. You will enjoy the seclusion and peacefulness.

Fire away any other questions you might have.

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

Fully support your comment on rather taking the easy route for first time travel. We did Pomene (via Swaziland Namaacha) quite a few years ago, did our over night at Bilene (Pria du Bilene), and though it seemed like a relative short trip from there, we also underestimated the 60km sand stretch, and got to Pomene quite late.

So setting up camp where you would have loved to be relaxing with that forst cold beer was tough...but the place is special. Really enjoyed it, that time it was pretty secluded, nice and quite, not sure how it is these days...
    Last edited by Blokey; 2010/07/09 at 05:00 AM.

Went to Pomene last year.
    1. Take the easy route through Komati Poort
    2. Sleep over at Honeypot +- 8 hours from Pretoria including the border
    3. Leave early - the road after Xai Xai is a nightmare for +- 100km's
    4. Phone the people at Pomene when you get to the gate so they know you're coming - that last stretch takes at least two hours - very high middelmannetjie so keep your momentum - Count on at least 8 hours from Honeypot to Pomene
    5. If the weather in Sept is hot and it hasn't rained that last stretch can be very difficult
    6. Pomene is really special, enjoy your time you won't regret it
    Disco III V8

Everybody should own a V8 at least once in his life

and I've done it twice now

Komatipoort would be the quickest, would still be 2 days drive from PTA.
    Next up is Giriyondo, can be done in 2 days, long days.
    Pafuri can be done in 2 days at a real push, but it will be 2 hard days not fun. You will need 3 days.

1. If you have 3 days. Mapai would be fine. I did it last year Sept. Limpopo was ankle deep. The route goes from good dirt roads with water ditches to sandy two spoor tracks. Slow going.

2. If you don't want to bushcamp there is a camp at the gate of Limpopo park near Mapai. Check sanparks website. If you leave from here at 6 the morning you would reach Pomene at 9-10 at night Not good. You will need to sleepover again.

3. Your car will make it.

4. Last year was dry and the weather excellent.

5. I don't know..

I would take Giriyondo if it was me.

The bad road section at Xai Xai is now around 30 k's - rest is resurfaced

Quote Originally Posted by jan blom View Post
    The bad road section at Xai Xai is now around 30 k's - rest is resurfaced
    Not quite correct... There is a stretch of about 20 km north of Xai-Xai which is bad, then you can travel on a relatively decent black top for about 40-50 km - just watch out for hoggers (who will drive you right off the surface!), after which there is another 20-25 km of bad road again. It gets really interesting in rain, but is quite OK when dry...After Quissico the road is good - well I know up to the Inhambane turn-off at least...
    Komati - don't go there...If you have the time and want to try an easier route, go through Swaziland...the 2 border posts to Moz are not as busy. From all I heard it is much more relaxed than that hell-hole (experience!) they call Ressano Garcia! Whether you're going in or coming out, it is not a fun experience!
    Honey Pot is a lovely restfull spot.
    John van Dyk
    Land Cruiser VX 4.7l V8 1999
    Mercedes Benz E 200K 2005 ma se ryding...niks meer besem nie!
    Kia Sportage 2007 2.0 CRDI -seun se ryding
    Kia Sportage 2012 2.0i AT - seun se ryding
    Noname Boswa
    Honda CRV 2005 -2.0i VTEC seun se ryding...verkoop

Just spent a day @ Pomene as a day-trip from Morrungulo. Road is in good condition from Massinga. Entry point to Pomene Nature reserve was a bit of a rip off (we eventually paid Mt 1300 for 3 vehicles). Sand roads have a high middle mannetjie. Soft-roader 4x4 should be able to handle the roads easily.

Thank you for all of your advice!! It has helped alot, and I really appreciate it.

Lunet

So tell us what you plan and maybe we can give some more advise.

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

We were in Pomene (July 200 with a Diesel X-trail towing a karet trailer. Here's how:

We entered through Giriyondo (slept first night in Olifants as we could not get accom in Letaba)

Then we scoot through past Massinger dam (road to Massinger very corrugated)

From Massinger to Macia, then Bilene (2nd night Accom)

From here we took EN1 to Imhambane - Slept 3 nights at Palm Grove

Then up to Pomene for 2 nights - the Xtrail impressed me. We let the tyres down a bit, and it kept up to the terrano, Fortuner and Cruiser. No Hassles.

Even at Pomene lodge it did manage to get to the chalet. (sugar sand) We did not drive around with the x-trail there, but I suppose it would have managed.

From Pomene we turned around and headed back to Maputo (komati poort)
    We slept at Chidenguele for 1 night. Then we drove into Maputo and slept at Malampsene Lodge. The following day we exited Moz and went back home.

For accom. try www.mozcon.com.

Enjoy Moz... For any other info, you can PM me....