Klein Letaba final arrangements for July trip

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Klein Letaba final arrangements for July trip

We will meet you at the garage in Mooketsi at 8:00 on Saturday morning and leave Mooketsi at 8:30 to Giyani where we enter the river. Hope the water level here is not to deep. (We can top up with fuel in Giyani if you want to.) Around 11:00am we can stop for a brunch and around 4:30pm we can start looking around for a camping site for the night. We must then get some dead trees stumps and branches that we can pull into the centre of the camp site to make a bon fire. If you have a 29mhz radio it will be great but not essential. Remember to bring bags for the refuse. What we take in we take out!!!! Do not through trash out of the car or bury it in the river bed.

To get to Mooketsi from Pietersburg (Polokwane) take the R81 (Duiwelskloof/Giyani). This will take you to Mooketsi which is about 80km from Pietersburg. At Mooketsi is the turn off to Giyani which is a further 80km (roughly)

If you cannot make it in time to Mooketsi please let me know else we will leave without you. Contact number is 082 six93 8three9five.
    Andre van Rensburg<br>Swambos baby V6 Pajero shorty<br>My overland vehicle "Datsun" 3.3l v6 hardbody d/cab.<br>Play vehicle Sizuki SJ413. Mods: Toyota 2c Diesel engin and 5 speed gearbox, 50mm lift<br>Love the bush, overlanding and crazy about animals.

Please could somebody clear up some confusion-are we travelling/coming back on Tues 13th or Wed 14th,swambo's boyfriend(poor guy) needs to know. I've booked leave for the rest of my life so not bothered.
    A legend in his own mind

Hi Bob,

We will be back Tuesday evening. Plan is to leave the river bed around 10-11am on Tuesday.
    Andre van Rensburg<br>Swambos baby V6 Pajero shorty<br>My overland vehicle "Datsun" 3.3l v6 hardbody d/cab.<br>Play vehicle Sizuki SJ413. Mods: Toyota 2c Diesel engin and 5 speed gearbox, 50mm lift<br>Love the bush, overlanding and crazy about animals.

OK, so now my truck is polished, packed and filled with petrol. Just have to wait for my co-pilot to arrive tomorrow and I'm outa here. Its going to be a long night this.
    Freddie du Preez
    '97 Defender 90 2.8i (Lots of extras) (SOLD SADLY)
    1999 Disco II V8 Auto (SOLD)
    '07 Disco 3 TDV6 S
    08 Defender 130

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.
    William E. Gladstone

Can somebody please mail me a tracklog after this, I need to work out some logistics like fuel (and finding money for it)

PE / JHB / GIYANI is 1532km, add some for the trip, and back to PE means 3500km to be travelled. (Excluding any travelling to family etc, add another 500km for that.) Since I will be filling about every 300-350km's it means I need at least 10 tanks of fuel, possible more for the river section, a hectic R7000 for fuel alone.

Dirk, you will be doing a max of about 200km in the trip it self. That is the least of your worries.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

I added that in for good measure. (Now I wonder how much cheaper it will be to put the Jeep on a trailer and drive up there with the wife's microbus )

If that Microbus is a diesel, that is not a bad idea at all.

So I am having a wild guess here. That Jeep will never be a good overlander?
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    If that Microbus is a diesel, that is not a bad idea at all.

So I am having a wild guess here. That Jeep will never be a good overlander?

Nice one Dirk!
    "If it ain't broken - Modify it"
    -------------------------------------
    Ben
    '99 Jeep Wrangler; 4" Procom Lift kit; 4.7Lt Mopar conversion; 33"x12.5x15" MT Baja Claws (Mine); '11 Prado 4.0Lt VX Petrol (Ours); '08 MB SLK 200 Coupe (SWAMBO's); '08 Conqueror Commander

well I'm packed and ready to go, just one hurdle left, to leave the office get in a drive. It looks like we only be able to leave around 5 tonight.DARN

Ek het gister met Andre gepraat,daar is BAIE water in die rivier en dit gaan maar broekskeur met almal,bleikbaar 3 ure gesukkel om n Pjero uit die modder uit te kry.
    Land Rover Brotherhood
    Defender 3.5 v8
    Disco 3 v8 SE
    56 Series 1 107 bakkie
    Freelander 2 TD4 SE

Well John. That sounds about like we like it.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Hello Guys,
    I had to cut my trip on the letaba river short due to lack of experience. Just to let you know first hand -
    The river is deep in a lot of places. I took my chances and sank my pajero wast deep. Due to my alternator damage never mind the rest I had to leave for Pietersburg and have it repaired.
    I really enjoyed every moment and sad to be home now.
    I wish all that is on the current trip good 4x4 ing and those going a great experience. Even though I am a novice at these type of adventures I sugest that you take recovery equipment and have decent recovery points.
    Thanks to all the great people that I was with, my recovery took over 4 hours and I was finily recovered in the dark with two 4x4s snaching me at an angle of about 60 degrees due to limited space to manover. I still am shocked about this and never thought it would happen to me but will do the trip again with more experence.
    Thanks to Andre and all the great helpfull people on the trip.

Hi Kenlus. Sounds like you will be up for it again next year.

Sorry to hear of the misfortune, but it is all part of the experience. On my first river trip, I drowned the Prado. So welcome to the "club"
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Yes I will be there on the next trip if i can. With the current water levels, you experienced guys will love it. First day with the groups and my problems we managed about 4 km and the second day 1km. We then left to try another river (cant remember the name). I then had a charging problem and had to leave while I could. There were a few other mechanical problems from other 4x4s and one other had to leave. otherwise all was well.
    The weather was great. Stars bright and every where and not as cold as JHB.

I too had to bail out early from this trip, but even so it was an amazing trip and I will go back on the second trip in August. As Ken says the water level is high and the reads are dense.
    Our trip started on Friday, Incrediblebob, George the Greek and myself traveled together. We had arranged to spend Friday night at camping at Tzaneen dam. About 50 km past Polokwane. Incrediblebobs vehicle started overheating, we pulled off and found the offending water pipe and did a quick repair, thereafter all went well all the way to Tzaneen.
    Spent a lekker night camping and kuiering, before we left to meet up with the group on Saturday, Rob checked his water to find it bone dry, we added water and watched it spillout the water pump. It was decided that we I would go meet up with the group, and Rob and George would try and get it sorted in Tzaneen and join up with us ASAP.
    I eventually got the call that they could not be helped in Tzaneen and were heading back to Polokwane. Midway to Polokwane the vehicle was running fine and they decided to turn around and join us at Giyane. Turned out to be the mechanical seal that was fualty, and when the vehicle is cold it doesn't seal and when hot operates fine. So with enough water on board Rob thought he would be OK.
    We then entered the river a little later than an anticipated, but made good ground until I took a water crossing, the water was thigh high, yes my co-driver walked the length of the water. All was going well, until I figured I was going to fast and tapped off the throttle - too much and stalled. We left the vehicle like that and waited to be recovered.
    Got the vehicle out the water safely, started the vehicle no problem. However it ran for a bout a minute and died. Somehow it managed to get water in the tank and we had to drain the water out, about 6 litres. Therafter it ran fine, no issues we even assisted in recovering Kenlus.
    However on Sunday morning all packed and ready to go, turned the key and it just would not start. No manner of intervention could convince it otherwise. Checked everything and all the normal culprits nothing. Eventually we called Tuffstuff to tow us in, so that the other guys could carry on with the trip.
    Gert and Kim stayed behind with us, the other guys took off down the river only to return about 40 minutes later stating there was no way through, and they were going to get back on to the road and find another way into the river further down.
    Eventually we got the call from the tow truck to say that it had arrived in Giyani. We sent Gert to go fetch him and lead them to us, to find that the tow truck was stuck in mud on a gravel road. Gert had to recover the truck, it was then decided to me to the truck, so all the guys on the trip arrived to tow me back. We removed the prop shaft in order to get the car going as the hand brake had got stuck.
    At which point George says to me, just try starting it - you know Murphy's law. Well I turned the guy the car started and has run ever since no problem. We put the prop shaft back and I decided to bring the car home as I didn't want to risk stuffing up another day for the rest of the group.
    But the bit of the trip I did was incredible, but mostly have been left in awe by the generosity, selflessness and character of the people that we traveled with.
    Thanks to everybody, that helped to get us going.
    Freddie du Preez
    '97 Defender 90 2.8i (Lots of extras) (SOLD SADLY)
    1999 Disco II V8 Auto (SOLD)
    '07 Disco 3 TDV6 S
    08 Defender 130

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.
    William E. Gladstone

Well we are back!!! What a trip!!!! We never had this amount of trouble with the vehicles. Of the original 10 vehicles only 2 came back without any trouble.
    The Klein Letaba is very overgrown with reeds. You can not see further than 1/2 meter ahead of you. Because of this I thought it to dangerous to carry on.
    We then decided to go to the Molototsi river. As you now know Freddy and Ken had to bail at Mooketsi. When we entered the Molototsi it was very wet with even a stream flowing. I got about 10meters and was stuck to the chassis. I think I set a new record in a space of less than 100 meters I got stuck 3 times. We eventually had to leave the river bed and travel next to the river for about 800 meters. The next morning (Sunday) we traveled further and found the river less wet. Leons Landie started giving problems as it would not charge and had to be jump started everytime. Leon and Andre Benson) had to leave us on Sunday afternoon due to Leon being called back to office.
    Incrediblebob's Disco blew another water pipe and had to be "fixed". I kept on getting bogged down due to the ground surface being very unpredictable. Tuesday morning Incrediblebob and Georgethegreek left earlt to get ahead start as Bob was not quite confidant about his vehicle. We left a bit later. In Mojadjikloof the Pajero transfer box packed up andhad to be towed to Pietersburg. Due to the towing Gert's car overheated and cracked the head. He batteled on home. The other Disco was misfiring but got along. They waited in Pietersburg for a car trailer to broaght in from Springs. I went ahead because of trouble at home. Came across Bob and George at Warmbaths George towing Bob. He blew another waterpipe. We got as far as Pretoria where my G broke down. Engine bearings gone. I came home on a low bed. Now looking for another engine preferbly a petrol.

Well we are back!!! What a trip!!!! We never had this amount of trouble with the vehicles. Of the original 10 vehicles only 2 came back without any trouble.
    Sjoe this was a serious test of the vehicles Andre. Was it mostly due to the wetter than normal conditions this year? I think next year we will join again.

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

Quote Originally Posted by AndreG View Post
    .............. Engine bearings gone. I came home on a low bed. .....................
    Damn. Sorry to hear.
    This trip really took no prisoners.
    So are you coming back with Sampie then?

Quote Originally Posted by AndreG View Post
    .............. ...... Now looking for another engine preferbly a petrol.
    Maybe time for a Ford 3.0l then. Like Johan.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast