Hummer H3 Review

Default Hummer H3 Review

I have been reading some intresting "stories" on the Hummer H3 on this forum and realise how much ignorance there is about this Vehicles 4x4 capabilities, I have put this review together just to show the pros and cons on this H3.

Firstly I own a Hummer H3 3.7 Adventure spec for appox 3 years now 120000km on the clock and no issues thus far, However in saying that I am still to be confinced on there reliability at 300 000 km as I have had with my old Nissan Patrol, and Toyota Hilux all 4x4's.

Negitives:-1.Sluggish On road especially when overtaking with the straight 5 engine V8 would be much better but much more expensive.
    2. Very Heavy on Fuel on a 90 liter tank expect 450 to 480 km'
    3. Plenty of blind spots especially behind you.
    4.Not much interior space as you would think, My Jeep Grand cherokee was much bigger inside.
    5.it is wider than other 4x4's so it has to make its own tracks and can be a little tricky to manuver in tight spots.

Positives :- 1.With the ultra low range ratio on the transfer case this is a formidable off road vehicle especially with a Diff lock working with the tracktion controll. I have owned many 4x4's for the last 20 yesrs and the Hummer is by far the best cabaple off road vehicle by far.
    2.Because it is Wider and so Heavy it has a very low centre of gravity
    making it very stable when climbing steep rocky inclines , My friends Toyota Fortuner makes me very nervous in these situations compared to the H3.
    3.Supprisingly very quite,solid and luxurios on road considering it has the aerodynamics of a brick.
    4.Towing is ok at speeds under 100kmh
    5.Launching boats is a dream as you can get into the water real deep if required.

conclusion:- The Hummer H3 comes into its own off road and imho I feel sad for the H3 when it gets all the bling some put on it!!! To me that would be like putting a winch on a Farari. This is a formidable off road vehicle and would go anywhere with the best of them stock standard out the factory.

Mods: I do have one Mod and that is the BFG 315/75/16 AT tyres which give another 1.5" ground clearence and a winch!

Would liketo find out more info...

Does all themodels have lowrange? And diff locks?

Quote Originally Posted by renier_c View Post
    Would liketo find out more info...

Does all themodels have lowrange? And diff locks?
    Nope thats the short answer

All 3 models (Base, Adventure and Luxury) have low range with centre diff lock

BUT:

only the adventure package has the ultra low range 4:1 transfer case, and only the adventure package came standard with rear diff locks. front is a cast aluminum diff which was changed late 2008 to a cast iron front diff with front locker as well.

hope that helps

P.S. most Hummers are wrongly advertised as Adventure models, andthere is only a few ways to distinguish between them
    -

So how do i know. What do i look for?

So how do i know. What do i look for?
    This is in general what I found(as I only want the Adventure package)

Base model : black side mirror covers

Luxury model: alot of chrome (but thats also true for the V8)

Adventure package: Has the rear diff lock button next to the traction control button above the radio in line with the 4hi/4lo buttons. If the model is equipped with front diff lock as well, the diff lock replaces the traction control button, and the traction control button is moved down below the radio inline with the 12V sockets

heres a photo of my console showing the hi low selection on the left, and the front and rear diff lock selection on the right
    -

Thanks.... That makes it much easier!

Thanks.... That makes it much easier!
    Always glad if im able to help

Happy Hunting
    -

Hey Guys
    just my 2 cents when I purchased my h3 luxuary I didnt know about the rear and front lockers so I was non the wiser I was aware of the center locker with traction.
    I have now owned the 4x4 for over 2 years and I have been every where the adventure has been aswell as other 4x4's from landys to toyotas and so on.
    my latest adventure took me to Leshoto to chalets in the sky where it was vital to have lockers, Yet I had no problem we even had to recover both a disco3 and a land cruser stuck in the mud. The H3 from the bass model to the lux and adventure have a fantastic traction control system which realy does work and matched with the low range you realy reay have a fantastic 4x4. I have been wanting to put air lockers on my 4x4 for over 2 years now but after the last trip I have come to preace with the idea of not needing the lockers thanks to the Traction system.

Quote Originally Posted by frozen7days View Post
    Hey Guys
    just my 2 cents when I purchased my h3 luxuary I didnt know about the rear and front lockers so I was non the wiser I was aware of the center locker with traction.
    I have now owned the 4x4 for over 2 years and I have been every where the adventure has been aswell as other 4x4's from landys to toyotas and so on.
    my latest adventure took me to Leshoto to chalets in the sky where it was vital to have lockers, Yet I had no problem we even had to recover both a disco3 and a land cruser stuck in the mud. The H3 from the bass model to the lux and adventure have a fantastic traction control system which realy does work and matched with the low range you realy reay have a fantastic 4x4. I have been wanting to put air lockers on my 4x4 for over 2 years now but after the last trip I have come to preace with the idea of not needing the lockers thanks to the Traction system.
    The traction control in the Hummer isn't bad, if you remember to keep your throttle constant. I for one dont likethe feeling of traction control as my previous Hummer used to "jump" over obstacles as I would call it, was definately due to the PCM flash that made the throttle response very sensitive. It was always in the back of my mind that the frond aluminium diff doesn;t like jolts (wheel spinning in the air and then suddenly getting traction)
    -

Default Re: Hummer H3 Review

Hi Sennin, what is your fuel consumption on the V8? And is GM servicing still available seeing that production have stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by roberth73 View Post
    Hi Sennin, what is your fuel consumption on the V8? And is GM servicing still available seeing that production have stopped?
    Hi Roberth73,

Fuel consumption on the V8 is in the range of 7-8 km per liter. When towing the Xplorer caravan it goes down to 5-6km per liter.

No issues with service, can just get a lead time with replacement parts as GM doesnt keep high stock levels. But we are importing our own replacement parts at a fraction of the cost GM quotes at
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Sennin View Post
    Hi Roberth73,

Fuel consumption on the V8 is in the range of 7-8 km per liter. When towing the Xplorer caravan it goes down to 5-6km per liter.

No issues with service, can just get a lead time with replacement parts as GM doesnt keep high stock levels. But we are importing our own replacement parts at a fraction of the cost GM quotes at
    Where do you buy your parts? Interested as my father has a low mileage (50 000 km) 2007 H3 Adventure (had it since new) that we may be interested in keeping for a while if parts are no problem.
    Last edited by kmcoetzer; 2017/06/30 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Phrasing
    2009 Land Rover Defender 110 Station Wagon - 12" Fox 2.0 shocks, Ashcroft Lockers Front + Rear, and a few other things
    2012 BMW R1200GS Adventure 8)

Quote Originally Posted by kmcoetzer View Post
    Where do you buy your parts? Interested as my father has a low mileage (50 000 km) 2007 H3 Adventure (had it since new) that we may be interested in keeping for a while if parts are no problem.
    We have various supliers. And we always look between them for the best prices i.e gmpartsdirect.com
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Sennin View Post
    We have various supliers. And we always look between them for the best prices i.e gmpartsdirect.com
    On that note, I have a few oil and air filters at Customs.
    2007 HUMMER H3 Adventure, 3.7-litre, Inline 5-potter, 4.03:1 Transfer Case Ratio, 4.56:1 Diff Ratios, Centre & Rear Diff Lock,
    Safari Snorkel, PCM of NC, 35" Maxxis Bighorn 762 MTs, Monsoon HiFi Sound System, Heated Electric Seats.

2013 1.6-litre JCW Clubman aka Pitbull
    152kW, 307Nm, at-the-wheels
    800m, 23s @ 190km/h