Toyota 16 days no spare available

Default Toyota 16 days no spare available

Hello guys

I have been a daily lurker on this forum for a couple of years without posting mainly due to plain laziness. I really enjoy the "kameraadskap" and the “gees” of the forum members.
    But something happened that needs to be said or posted in this case. So the silence is broken.

It’s got to do with Toyota and I feel all Toyota owners or would be owner’s needs to be alerted to this.

Situation as follows.
    The weekend of the 12th of June while on a hunting trip in the Kouga area I noticed the aircon pulley is making a grinding noise and some movement could be detected on the pulley. So on Monday the 14th of June I phone our local Toyota dealer in the neighbouring town ( I guess I’m not allowed to say their name but I stay in Jeffreys Bay) to report that my vehicle’s aircon is broken and that it is the pulley bearing that is the cause. Vehicle is a 2007 Toyota Hilux 4x4 stil under guarantee. We agree to bring the vehicle in on the 17th. On the 16th while driving in town the aircon pulley bearing? seized and caught fire. Luckily no damage to vehicle.
    On the 17th just after I left the vehicle at the dealer they bring it back and tell me the aircon is broken and they would need to replace it. (Like I told them) They then inform me that it would take 2 days to get the parts and fix the problem. We agree that I would bring the vehicle again on the 21st which I then did. On the 22nd I received a call telling me that the vehicle would only be repaired on the 30th as the parts is on backorder. Being that this Toyota like most modern vehicles only have one belt that drives the aircon, altenator and power steering the aircon can’t be disconnected and if the bearing seized like mine did you can’t drive.
    After phoning what felt like all the Toyota dealers in the country I had to concede that there is no replacement aircon compressor available.
    Where does that leave me and any other Toyota 2.5 D4D owner with a broken aircon. 16 Days without a vehicle. Could somebody explain that to me, stranded because of a broken aircon. Unbelievable and very poor service from Toyota. Did I mention the vehicle is still under guarantee? An aircon compressor is surely a component that needs to be kept in stock somewhere. What if this happens while on holiday?

Sorry to moan and complain in my first post but I hope to contribute more in future. Maybe then driving an Amarok?

Will keep you posted as I also left a complaint on the customer complaints line – not much hope of anything happening.

I drive a 1.6 Caddy Panel van VW for my business , January comes in Durban and bang goes my aircon , same experience had to wait a month under warranty / guarentee whatever , I could drive the vehicle but try that in January in Durban ?,

So Toyota is not the only company with this attitude ,

Good Luck
    Landrover Tdi 110 CSW 1996
    Ford Ranger 3.2 Super Cab XLS 2015

My neigbour uses Caddy Panel van for business - booked in for a clutch. All pre-aranged, even a loan vehicle for the two dat job ....

At the end of the two days they asked that he brings back the loaner .... uhm by the way, we have been busy so have not started on your vehicle yet !

HOW do you run your small business when your van is out of commision for another week - for a "standard" maintenance job ?

Toyota has there faults, but never a V-trouble-u on my yard again ....

BACK TO YOUR question - Phone a few Air-con places. SURE they will have a compressor that will fit.

Problem is it should be a warranty / guarantee job and the vehicle is at the dealers. Can't drive it because of the seized pulley bearing.

Toyota bashing is becomming a favourite sport, but I'll be surprised if there is a single brand in this country that doesn't occasionaly get their spare stock levels wrong. It happens to be good business practise to run with low stock levels - if you are a bean counter. It seems you caught them with VERY low compressor levels.

I know this doesn't help you with your pain, but maybe you can put pressure on them for a loan car in the meantime.

A few years ago my Pajero had to spend a few unplanned days in the Mits workshop (brake repairs after an accident), I was given a brand new Merc 200 Compressor. That sure makes the wait a touch more bearable.