Advise on a Club for a newby in Gauteng pls

Default Advise on a Club for a newby in Gauteng pls

Hi Guys (and girls),

I need some advise on clubs, just bought a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, I am a total newby but would like to learn. Interested in seeing what more experienced guys do and learn without irritating the crap out of them as i can't do much (yet).

I live in Johannesburg so would be interested in day-trips / perhaps weekend events in and around Gauteng. I'm also a pro-photographer so to make up for the "irritating the crap out of the experienced guys" bit can offer some pics ...

Thanks for the advise!

4x4 Offroad Adventure Club - www.4x4offroadclub.co.za

Thank you Doug, I will check it out

Quote Originally Posted by DougN View Post
    4x4 Offroad Adventure Club - www.4x4offroadclub.co.za
    Doug is biased.. try 4wdcsa ;-)

Seriously, all you need to do is visit a couple of clubs and see if that club lifestyle suits you.

My only proviso/disclaimer on "clubs" is... avoid those clubs which are run as businesses. I say this because to them, your bucks are more important than your lifestyle interests.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Doug is biased.. try 4wdcsa ;-)
    I AM!! I am extremely happy with the club, how it' run and the have met many new friends in the members. I like the outings and they way they are run.

Seriously, all you need to do is visit a couple of clubs and see if that club lifestyle suits you.
    100% good advice

My only proviso/disclaimer on "clubs" is... avoid those clubs which are run as businesses. I say this because to them, your bucks are more important than your lifestyle interests.
    Sorry Simon, On this one I disagree, it's a case of some clubs, don't tar them all with the same brush, in committee run clubs, you can easily get politics and the old boys club ruining things just as in business run clubs, some get carried away, but not all.

The club I belong to is a so called business run club and there is almost never space on the organised events, in fact, very often, more than 1 convoy is arranged as there is always more take up than can be catered for even on the longer trips, 120+ people at the club meetings, and we have been kakked out for not bringing the wives & kids on trails as it is not a "testosterone "club. Must be doing something right!

Some clubs have "IT", some don't, I would rather not generalise.

Having bought a jeep, why not check out the jeep club?

If you would like to learn & have a relaxed vibe, the guys on here often get together for day trails. From what I have seen on this forum the guys here are the most helpfull & we always have a good time! If you manage to go on a day where Herman(Engel) is around he will gladly show you how its done with safety first principal!

Either way I would start by going for a training course, it opens your eyes & builds your confidence & you will meet other newbies eager to learn!
    Justin (Aka GECKO)
    Isuzu KB300 Dteq D/C 4x4 +
    Member I.O.C.

If there's dirt i'll find it!!

www.jeepclubsa.co.za

Like the other guys said, visit a few of the local clubs and see what they're all about. The thing to remember is to be PART of the club you join - it is not going to fit you like a glove unless you wriggle a bit!

If you'd like to join one of our events, check out the Jeep Section or give me a shout. The next one is to Tswaing Meteorite Crater on the 18th of July - we get EXCLUSIVE access into the crater with our vehicles.

thanks all!!, I have joined the jeepclubsa (as a start) and will check it out, i see the next outing is on the 18th at the crater so will definitely be there!, Have also signed up for 4x4 training course on the 10th so that i am at least not a total idiot on the 18th ;-)

Awesome, and welcome Charl - I saw your details come through for our website, I'll be adding it soon.

When you join us on the 18th, seek me out - we do 'on route' training for new guys.

Bushcamp: I will seek you out, but doubt i will find you looking for your avatar lol, what is your real name?

For those who are keen to find out a bit more about the 4x4Offroad Adventure Club here in gauteng, the next Enthusiasts meeting will be held at Safari Centre, Pretoria East, on the 27th July. 6:30 for 7pm

Trip 29 - Enthusiasts Interest Meeting July @ Safari Centre - All welcome Safari Centre Pretoria East, c/o Hans Strjidom Drive & Bendeman Boulevard, Six Fountains, Pretoria (Pretoria East, close to Silver Lakes Golf Course).

GPS Waypoints: WGS84 S 25 46’ 34.1” E 28 20’ 57.7” , or call Adele Odendaal for directions on Tel: +27 (12) 809 4410 or visit Web: www.safaricentre.co.za

Trip 29 - Enthusiasts Interest Meeting July @ Safari Centre - All welcome1. Venue & Snack Dinner – sponsored by Safari centre
    2. Cash Bar available
    3. Speakers covering:

a. Welcome to Meeting & Evening introduction – Alan Goodway – 4x4 OAC
    b. Welcome to Safari Centre / New Products / New Services Safari Centre Update – Andre de Villiers (Owner)
    c. Helivac – A must have emergency rescue insurance – JP van Tonder
    d. e-Cycle – the latest innovation in green 2-wheeling – Michel Reolon
    e. The Amazing new Bon-Feu Braai- you must own one! – Tim O’Shea
    f. Bestech Autotyre & Autocruise – must have for 4x4 touring – Nick Bestbier Jr
    g. Feed your animals while touring the bush – Christo Wentzel (Petfeeder)

h. New GSM Gate Controller – added value security – Christo Wentzel (GSM Controllers)

i. MAUS Performance for your vehicle – Martin van Rensberg (MAUS Performance)

4. Prize Draw after a short break – check the prize list – A MUST ATTEND EVENING INDEED!!!!!!

Trip 29 - Enthusiasts Interest Meeting July @ Safari Centre - All welcome
    A BON FEU BRAAI
    FIRESTRYKER EXTINGUISHERS
    HELIVAC MEMBERSHIP (FAMILY) FOR 1 YEAR
    KERSHAW KNIVE SET
    BRIDGESTONE GIFTS
    And more great prizes again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by charlvn View Post
    Bushcamp: I will seek you out, but doubt i will find you looking for your avatar lol, what is your real name?
    You'd be surprised!

Name's Riaan Coetzee, I normally do the driver's briefing so I'm sure you'll spot me. I drive a blue CJ2 called Runaway, also easy to spot, but just to make sure, here's me ugly mug (taken right after t mudhole, hence the smile):
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Doug, I'll see you there!

Thanks Riaan! I have decided to do a bit of bonding with my folks so dragging them allong, ...

Quote Originally Posted by bushcamp View Post
    Doug, I'll see you there!
    lekker, and I'll see you guys on the 25th as well.