ML270 Fuel economy and chipping question (on behalf of a friend)

Default ML270 Fuel economy and chipping question (on behalf of a friend)

Bon dia...

One of my friends purchased a 2002 ML270CDI with 170 000KMS on the clock. He would like to know:

What is the average Fuel consumption for this in town and on the High way. He is getting about 13L\100km high way driving and about 15L\100km in town?

Then he is interested in Chipping the vehicle for better fuel economy, What would you suggest, if you would suggest such a move?

Thanks Cheers
    Van!
    I like anything with 4 or more wheels...

My parents has the ML270CDi, a 2004 model. 11L/100km on Highway and about 14L/100km in town driving. As for chipping be very careful to what place he takes it too, get someone that has already done lots of kms on the chipped engine. I am saying that because to fix a 270CDI Merc engine will be very costly! Let us know what happens!

Hi, ML 350 - 2003

Highway traveling @ 127/km a per gps = 12.5L/100KM (2800rpm)
    Highway traveling @ 130/km a per gps = 13.8L/100KM (3000rpm)
    Highway traveling @ 120/km a per gps = 11.8L/100KM (2500rpm)
    I Did a 650km trip, quite flat road and used speed-cruise.

Wife get's avg. 17L/100Km in town driving.

Thanks for the reply gents. I will hand the info over to him.

Cheers
    Van
    I like anything with 4 or more wheels...

Hmm, my 2001 ML 270 CDI used to do that sort of consumption, not as high as 15l/100km though!!

From the log book, from 75000km to 150000km ave was 11.8l/100km

Since modifying the turbo, intake, exhaust and adding a UniChip Q it now makes 152Kw & 430Nm and has averaged the last 20000km at 9.5l/100km

Most of the driving is done round town with the A/C always on...

And I'm still scared it'll break again.... even though I've replaced almost everything...
    '12 Honda CBR1000RR ABS
    '08 BMW E92 325i Coupe
    '08 Ford Ranger Supercab 4.0 V6 + Supercharger
    '99 VW Golf IV 2.0 highline + Turbo
    '89 VW Golf II GTi 2.0 16v + Turbo
    '09 VW Caddy PV 1.6

Graham, can you please give some more detail of the modifications done to your ML?

Thanks
    Alten

2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD

Quote Originally Posted by Stormboy_sa View Post
    Graham, can you please give some more detail of the modifications done to your ML?

Thanks
    Alten
    Sure, It all started after I'd replaced the third Turbo with a brand new unit and 40000km later it had a damaged compressor wheel. I still had the old one so sent it off to my buddy Gaby at Fastec turbo's.

We learnt that you CANNOT get spares for the garret GT VNT turbo range so he set off to get another wheel in there. After machining the compressor housing and wheel slightly he managed to get a slightly (2mm) larger wheel in with 6 blades as opposed to the 4 on the standard one. This meant that the turbo would boost the same, spool up the same BUT would flow more volume.

So we bolted that all up and decided that the exhaust was full of , so we had a tubular manifold made up and a new down pipe that got rid of the partical filter and catalitic convertor, basically the exhaust has only one really large box mid way now.

That all went fine until I noticed it was surging at freeway speeds on cruise control... so off to find out why and we discovered that the fuelling was battling to keep up with the increased volume the turb was giving resulting in the ECU trying to open the VNT vanes constantly to control the AFR. We also discovered that the ECU wouldn't allow the VNT vanes to close fully (to make maximum boost) as it was reading high volume's at the MAF sensor SO we had a dastek piggy back chip fitted and were advised to have a look at the intake plumbing after the turbo which we did, pulled the whole lot apart, had it port matched and flowed, had the cylinder head gas flowed and prt matched to the intake manifold. We also added a pair of 8 inch fans to the intercooler with a temperature switch on at 45*C to solve any heatsoak problems.

After all of that the dastek chip was tuned to allow more fuelling and more boost on a dyno for a good couple of hours and days and since then all has been well :-)

The exhaust modification HAS made it a little noisier inside the car but nothng I can't expect from a diesel, it does run much smoother and starting is much quicker and obviously the whole car is much quicker, easily getting the ESP to go nuts if you floor it off the line. I have also noticed that it doesn't seem to run out of legs in the upper rev range as it did before, power used to back off around the 4300rpm mark causing a gear change now it pulls like a train all the way to 5k in every gear and will go right off the clock whereas before would max out at 200-220km/h

All in all it has been an expensive exercise and something i definetly wouldn't have done to a merc if it hadn't started it first.

It is now on 230000km and I'm really thinking of keeping it for good, maybe getting it properly kitted to go overland :-)
    '12 Honda CBR1000RR ABS
    '08 BMW E92 325i Coupe
    '08 Ford Ranger Supercab 4.0 V6 + Supercharger
    '99 VW Golf IV 2.0 highline + Turbo
    '89 VW Golf II GTi 2.0 16v + Turbo
    '09 VW Caddy PV 1.6

I had my Sprinter 4x4 with the same 2.7l chipped from Sportsvans. The fuel consumption went down by 2l and incredible increase of torque. We could not find a Dyno teste where the wheelbase could fit due to the 4x4 conversion. But you feel it when you remove the chip.