Fire at Ponta D'Ouro

Default Fire at Ponta D'Ouro

I heard from some friends in Ponta that there was a fire early this morning (3am approx).
    Apparently Simply Scuba,Dolphin encounters and The Whaler all burnt down.
    Does anyone have any further info? as i am battling to get a hold of them in Ponta

2014 Toyota Fortuner 3.0D4D 4X4
    2012 Conqueror Comfort
    1 Kwaai broom owner
    2 Screaming kids
    1 Crazy Dog

That's bad,I heard something on the radio about 3 camps that burnt down ,but couldn't hear where.
    Jeep Cherokee CRD
    BMW 1200 GS Adv

Default fire

Hi, I've spoken to Stewart, the owner of Simply, and it's true, the three camps did burn down.

Apparently no fatalities thankfully but a lot of people have lost everything i found this link just now

http://www.ewn.co.za/articleprog.aspx?id=42215

I will update if i get through to Ponta by cell

2014 Toyota Fortuner 3.0D4D 4X4
    2012 Conqueror Comfort
    1 Kwaai broom owner
    2 Screaming kids
    1 Crazy Dog

shyt, paid a deposit last week for august .....

but im glad everybody is ok

Default Fire at Ponta

Yip you are correct
    Dolphin and Simply scuba burnt down to the ground but Whalers is still OK. Rest of the camp also fine. Only the Offices of Simply Scuba still standing and most of the diving gear were saved. I took some photos and will try to upload a bit later. Nobody injured but some people lost quite a few belongings.

Sorry I made a mistake - Whalers also gone . Only " Scuba Adventures " still standing -

Default Ponta do Ouro fire - Photos

We returned from Ponta today. Below are some photos taken during and after the fire. A real tragedy.

Ag nee damm!!! Dis nou nie goeie nuus vir enige iemand!
    Mense Asb hou ons op hoogte!

Ek gaan Augustus. Soentoe, hoop maAr als is dan weer opgebou!

Sterkte julle!

Default Ponta do Ouro fire - Videos added

Default Ponta Dive Camp Fire

I was there around 10am and all three the camps are burnt to the ground.

Geez, What's up with the Ponta's ? I was at Ponta Malongane earlier this month, and whilst there one of their Houses burnt down.

This is terrible news!!!!! It was so rustic to stay at one of those camps on a dive weekend. I am just very glad that nobody got injured and hopes that they all had insurance. I have also booked for August to go to Simply Scuba's 21stbirthday bash. I wonder what’s going to happen now? If anybody gets any news, please let us know!!!!!

Default Ponta do Ouro fire - Update

I've received the e-mail below from Scuba Adventures. If you are interested in the relief efforts, see the Facebook page "Lets help rebuild Ponta" .

Scuba Adventures Dive Camp
    Ponta do Ouro – Fire Update
    Follow us, and further updates on FaceBook [ Select Africa Safaris & Africa Scuba Travel ]
    In our technologically sophisticated world, most divers are by now aware of the devastating fire that occurred at Ponta in the early hours of Saturday morning.

It is amazing, but we have had calls from concerned ex visitors to Ponta from as far afield as Spain and the Ukraine, who have already heard about the fire back in their home countries!

Just a brief update, from Lawrence, who was there at the scene, at the time;

The fire started accidentally, by all accounts at Dolphin Encounters.
    Before the flames could be brought under control, the fire had destroyed both The Whaler, and Dolphin Encounters completely, and most of Simply Scuba.

Due to the amazing co-operation of the collective Ponta Dive Charter’s staff and clients, no one was injured. This was even more amazing due to the fact that this accident happened over a long weekend, with Ponta booked to capacity.

Scuba Adventures miraculously escaped the ensuing devastation without any damage whatsoever.

We would like to thank all our staff, and clients for their assistance in ensuring our equipment was safely evacuated, and camp secured during the resulting power outages.

Special mention must be made of Lianne, and the members of Turtle Dive Club, as well as Africa Diving Scuba, who worked tirelessly throughout the early morning and following day, to ensure that no further hazards were presented from the glowing embers.

Our sincerest condolences go out to the other Charters, their staff, clients, and everyone affected by the fire. Various relief efforts have been set up to assist these victims - please check out
    the link on Face Book “Lets Help Rebuild Ponta Do Oura Campsite”

Should anyone want to send any donations to Ponta, we have a storage facility at our Ponta Central Reservations office near Eastgate.

for full details contact Ponta Central Reservations

Tragedy, according to reports caused by a candle ?!!! In houses mainly constructed from reed & grass this seems inevitable, what are the resorts position on this, was open flames/gas/candles allowed outside designated areas, irrespective whether this was an accident?

The resorts had rules prohibiting the use of candles, mosquito coils, smoking etc. in the rooms. Fires and gas cooking were only allowed in designated areas. Some people chose to ignore these rules. Whether a candle really caused the fire, I don't know, but there's a lesson in this for all of us. On several occasions I've seen people smoking and burning mosquito coils in their rooms, only to look at you as if you're mad when you tell them it's not a good idea. I even know some people who accidently set fire to a sleeping bag with a mosquito coil in their casita, and they thought it was a huge joke. The stupidity of people never fail to amaze me.