Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    carlvv Guest

Default Richtersveld in December

We are thinking of spending a week in the Richtersveld between Christmas and New Year.
    We know it will be hot, but the question is, is it unbearable at that time of year?
    Should the river be in flood, can one still camp at De Hoop?
    Are there enough trees at De Hoop to provide some shade?

We have often camped in the Richtersveld during mid summer. Can get very hot, but as long as you drink lots of water and are close to the river, it is normally OK. Avoid the camps away from the river (kokerboom etc.). If it gets too hot. you can jump into the river with clothes and all. Shade is obviously very important - take your own, do not rely on trees.

It obviously depends how big a flood comes through, although it should be OK as most of the campsites are fairly high. Again, if you have your own shade, you have more flexibility if a flood does reduce your access to some of the shaded campsites.
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

carlvv Guest

Thanks Kimball.

All sustems go then.

The question I asked as well was how much hotter can it really get than Paarl in Feb / March. Only difference is that we will only have the aircon in the car and not in the "house" / Echo

Dont know Paarl climate but ..

Health & Climate
    Please note that heavy dew sometimes occur at night. The |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld climate is harsh and dry, with extreme temperatures of up to 53 degrees Celsius having been recorded in mid-summer.
    Activities should be restricted to early mornings and late afternoons. Nights are cool, but may become chilly during winter.
    (SA Places)
    Johan Mitchell, .... r.i.v. Swambo Marthie

My beste kennis is diť oor my eie onkunde

'96 Colt DC V8 ... Safari Camper ... '88 Fleetline L
    '88 Ballade 150 ... sold
    "The rule here is that there is no rule" .. MikeAG

We'll also be there round that time this December
    300 TDi 90, OME 2" lift, OME steering damper, steering and diff guards, removed front and rear anti roll bar, snorkel, extra fuel tank, roof rack, running on KM2's

I lived in Pofadder for a few years (during the mid 1980's). The heat next to the Orange River can be unbearable. Ditto when the Dakar Rally came down to Cape Town, we caught them in Southern Namibia - unbearable. The nights will not be cool. We used to pull wet sheets over us at night. The evaporation cools you for 10 minutes, then the oven is on again!

Make absolutely sure you have your own shade arrangement and drink plenty water. Force-feed the kids gallons water if you have to!

Us too... but 53 degrees might make me change my mind.
    1998 Land Rover Discovery TDi
    1980 Range Rover
    2007 Land Rover Freelander 2 TD4 S (SWAMBO's)
    2005 Jeep Cherokee Renegade CRD

G-Stone,
    Don't change your mind. NEVER turn a Richtersveld trip down. Just be fore-warned and thus prepared!

carlvv Guest

"Activities should be restricted to early mornings and late afternoons"

Sounds perfect to me. I am sure I will be able to convince myself to do nothing except swim and fish all day long.

Thanks for the warnings

Quote Originally Posted by carlvv View Post
    "Activities should be restricted to early mornings and late afternoons"

Sounds perfect to me. I am sure I will be able to convince myself to do nothing except swim and fish all day long.

Thanks for the warnings
    It will be a new sensation for you.. completely different type of heat.. no humidity, just heat.. if you can have a small micro sprinkler fitted to a 20l tank and have it spray on you during midday you will be more than grateful for the extra weight you dragged along..

1990 Toyota Hilux - In process..
    The more people I meet the more I like my dog..
    Real 4x4's have splash guards, not sump guards..

also, don't forget to drink water while swimming (if close to the river) many people think they dont need to drink water then...you can get dihidrated very easy while cooling down in the river and forget to take in water on regular intervals. I agree with above posts...take it slow in the afternoon, start your day early but end it early as well.
    2018 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT DC 4x4 A/T

carlvv Guest

Thanks for all the info guys.
    I have come to the conclusion that I will have to do something more than swim and fish all day. I will have to do some serious "drinking" as well.
    OK, that I can handle

Carl

Maybe to add something -

Heat - as indicated in the posts - drink water and lots of it even if you do not feel thirsty. Sit out the heat of the day in the shade - beer tastes best, but remember the water. We also take those water sprays (fine mist sprays - I think we bought ours from dischem) and everyone uses them to spray into their faces and bodies. 50 deg heat is very hot, but is very dry heat and can be tolerated.

Remember that the heat is not always there - I have camped at Ai Ais in December in a fine rain and have actually felt cold (granted - this was very unusual). The temperature range will probably be 30 deg - 50 deg.

Activities - take a tube and life jacket - walk to the top of the de hoop rapid and float down. Our kids (and some adults) can do this all day! You can even float and fish or just float - tie the tube to something.

Enjoy - the heat is just one of the extremes that make the Richtersveld a special place.
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Heart - SFA hilux dcab

Do yourself a favour, go to your nearest Speedy or Mr, Mr and buy yourself 2 or 3 truck tubes (20 inch) and take them along, it will keep you amused in the river for hours. They are about R80 to R100 each, a worthwhile investment!

Truck tubes are smaller than the traditional tractor tubes and just the right size for adults. For kids a 4x4 tube (15 inch) may just be the right thing.

We went in March, and if it was not for the tubes keeping us in the water most of the day, we would have been fried alive!!

AND WEAR T-SHIRTS ALL THE TIME, YES, EVEN IN THE WATER!!!
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2010/06/10 at 07:46 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Jhb area for now, maybe will look at moving WC way, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires.
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    AND WEAR T-SHIRTS ALL THE TIME, YES, EVEN IN THE WATER!!!
    I agree, sunscreen protection is paramount!

1990 Toyota Hilux - In process..
    The more people I meet the more I like my dog..
    Real 4x4's have splash guards, not sump guards..

Im thinking you must also have a very good fridge and battery system.
    There is no electricity and youre not allowed to run a generator.
    Enjoy.

Gas fridge. I had to continuously remove beers from my ZERO gas fridge to prevent freezing from taking place. Damn, it's a nuisance

carlvv Guest

Default De Hoop or Richtersberg

Ok, so we have decided to go to the Richtersveld in December and we will have to drink alot

Would you suggest spending a few nights at Richtersberg and then a few nights at De Hoop or should one spend a week at one camp and do a little driving during the day?

We have the two skollies of 7 & 9 to keep in mind as well. Will probably struggle to keep them out of the water.

My suggestion would be to establish a 'lekker' camp at de hoop and drive through to Richtersberg and spend the day there. You may give up a great shaded site at de hoop to find that you have arrived at rberg to a campsite with no shade....

We normally do this when we are in the park and take a kayak or two to launch at richtersberg and let some of the group row back to de hoop. It is about 8 km and the river is relatively flat (slow moving) so is not really suitable for tubing, but is a easy paddle...

Following on from my previous post, a canoe would also be a good toy to take with. If you are feeling 'energetic' or have kids who feel this way, they can do quite a bit of paddling above the top rapid at de hoop - the river is slow moving and you can row upstream for a few km's.

Take as many water toys as possible - water guns are great for smaller kids and they really enjoy shooting their parents who are willing 'victims' in the heat of the day....
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Heart - SFA hilux dcab

Default Richtersveld in December

Hi Carl
    We will also be in the Richterveld from about 29 Dec. 2010 to 2 Jan 2011. Are you still going? My plan is to set up camp in De Hoop and then explore the rest of the park. We could maybe meet up there and do the exploration toghether? Anybody else going there or that is keen to join us on this trip at short notice?

Regards
    Skippie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast